Duck, You Sucker! / Giù la testa (Sergio Leone, 1971)

But Carry On Screaming IS a 9/10, though! Pisses all over Raging Bull. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for a IMO well expressed comment !

For your knowledge I don’t own a smartphone because I hate the stuff :slight_smile:
I am always lying on my TV sofa and using my little laptop on the stomach If I want to watch a selected SW on Youtube.

Clearly as I have stated some times before a low image quality could affect my impression and rating a bit and that’s why I may look for a DVD/bluray to buy in the cases of SWs that I might like more and rank as very good or better after watching in high image quality.

Duck, You Sucker ! may even be a movie of high class workmanship (which I am no expert in assessing), which for me usually probably just somewhat automatically affects my overall impression.

But if I am personally uninterested in or dislike the story and especially its mood and/or music those are very crucial factors for my rating which is supposed to reflect my own degree of entertainment.

So of course my own ranking to a very high degree could have a low correlation with the opinions of a group of other SW fans with other tastes and preferences.

Overall this is not a big deal I think :slight_smile:

Tastes a s opinions are different, it’s all fine… what’s not fine on the other hand (and that’s not really a matter of opinion), is watching illegally uploaded movies on YouTube (except if it’s their official licensed offering).
As for myself, it’s my least favorite Leone movie but let’s pause and consider what that means, that still makes it one among the pinnacle of movies ever made! :))

1 Like

This is what I’m struggling with from time to time. I never rate movies that are not mentioned for me. For example Im not a fan of telenovela so I won’t rate Esmeralda if I happen to see it because I would not enjoy it even if it was brilliantly directed masterpiece. That is why I can’t stand many sites where people rate movies - they pick on genres they hate! My grandmom would have probably said every SW is a violent garbage but she wouldn’t have watched it in the first place. But what to do when you like a genre but you don’t like certain type within the genre? This narrows your view range even more and we could go on like this and include actors / locations / story… Then you could not rate anything for any reason. Within a genre I don’t rate only movies I feel that were made for very different kind of spectators which is only a very little fracture of them all. I try to discard the extremes. Then it is a personal matter. I prefer a good storytelling / script to style / action. I also love ironic protagonists who have always one-liners in their pocket. The combination of it all is the most fun for me! A funny story - I’ve known a girl who was my net friend and she would rate nearly all George Eastman’s westerns (and his other movies as well) with 5 stars cause George is cute. Not a signle one that would be worse than 4/5. I thought most of his movies were garbage. She stopped talking to me because I wrote few bad words about some of the movies he starred in. Sometimes I dared even to critize Eastman himself! “God forgives, girls who fell in love with an actor don’t”. I actually liked some (Ben and Charlie was fun) and even praised Eastman for several roles (Last Killer for instance - she did not like him too much in this one haha).

1 Like

I think it is rather OK to watch. It is those responsible for loading up and/or providing a space for uploading that should stop doing that if it is not leagal, which by the way I guess is not so easily judged by the average “consumer”.

In my own case, watching on Youtube in my own SW selecting process increases the probability for me actually buying an official DVD/bluray, which has been the case for several SWs that I felt I should watch first before buying,for example Django Kill, Long Days Of Vengeance, Requiem For Gringo, Mannaja. No Room To Die etc. I most likely would not have bought them all just on opinions in reviews and forum threads (and not because of the money but the principle of not wanting to buy poor SW IMO).

But it is a kind of “work” watching on Youtube so I wouldn’t be unhappy if they deleted all illeagal uploading from now on :slight_smile:

Good point on this movie - it is still in the top 10 or 20 of a lot of people’s SW lists.

I am not too hung up on whether it is a true SW - for me, it is enough that it has some great locations in Tabernas and Almeria to visit!

1 Like

Out this weekend

The new release date is now December 2nd.

This war drama is on ITV4 right now.

2 Likes

The Eureka release has been pushed again by another week. Now it’s the 9th of December.

1 Like

Out now

1 Like

My pre-order hasn’t even shipped yet. :frowning_face:

What audio tracks does this release have?

original and italian mono on both versions that are included, according to Eureka’s website

Review and screenshot comparisons with earlier releases here - Can’t wait to check out the Italian print :slight_smile:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews23/a_fistful_of_dynamite_blu-ray.htm

2 Likes

So I need this one then. Order has been placed.

So it has the Italian version also, which seems to be different here and there. A good thing is that, but is the Italian version also cut by these 6 horse(shit)fall sec?

Also good is that the disc contains 2 Engl. subt. tracks, one taken from the Engl. dub and one translated from the Italian lines.
But only for the Italian version. The English version comes only with one subt. track, and I’m sure it is the dubby one.

Yes! It’s here.

3 Likes

Watched the Eureka Italian print with English audio, and realised there’s still a lot to love here … I became aware that it must be 10 years since I sat through the entire movie, or whenever the special edition came along on DVD.

The print looks great and the slight yellow tint is noticeable at first, but not intrusive, and adds a warmth to the vivid colours.

The machine gunning scene at the bridge does seem shorter to me, as I’m sure there were more horses and stuntmen in peril when I first viewed this 40 years ago, and many times after on my Warner VHS (Shouldn’t have sold that - D’oh!) which was the UK ‘AA’ cert version, I believe … without all the ‘fuck you’ stuff, which now seems over used.

Always had a great affection for this film, as I’ve felt it was underrated and unfairly compared by fans of the Dollar trilogy, who were of course duped by the advertising material at the time of release.

I still have trouble accepting the lengthy flashback to Ireland scenes, right at the end … for me, way too long and really cringy. Two men fighting over the same girl and pretending to be ‘cool’ about it, just doesn’t work and the long slow motion take is frankly, visually bland.
Call me a philistine, but the version were Coburn is about to kiss the girl and then cuts abruptly to the huge explosion is much more satisfying and effective.

Overall a thoroughly great re-watch, and very happy to finally see this in HD :smile:

5 Likes

And as an Irishman you even get to scrutinise Coburn’s accent.

2 Likes