Duck, You Sucker! / Giù la testa (Sergio Leone, 1971)

Maybe Leone just wanted to visit Ireland!

1 Like

Yeah, nice idea about the 30 seconds. I don’t recall noticing that before.

The car ride was shot in the grounds of an old stately home with an adjacent golf course. There’s a sort of car museum also attached. The golf course would be where they were chasing each other in slow motion.
The bar with the shoot out is Toners in Dublin.
I met a concert pianist who played one of the schoolgirls on the excised bus sequence. Sergio was overly fond of her and got her to ride in his car from the hotel to the location. She says he broke her wristwatch strap when he grabbed her, and then she cried a lot to avoid him.
I’ve forgotten the name of the Hotel too, but I went there. I probably have notes somewhere.

1 Like

Oh no … the maestro behaving like a creep! I never knew about this or the deleted scenes. Anymore info would be greatly appreciated.

I did the Duck You Sucker locations in 2002, in Spain and Ireland. The information is probably on a floppy disk somewhere. If I can find it, I’ll post.
The Golf Course is Deer Park Golf at Howth Castle just outside Dublin, where the National Transport Museum is. The guy there had a lot of information about the car used in the scenes. I wrote it all down, but 2002 is a long time ago. Several computers later…
The bus used was the one also used in Ryan’s daughter. It was supposed to drive past Coburn’s car and everybody waves happily to each other.
Yes, the maestro behaved like a creep. We agreed not to share this at the time, but that was a long time ago, so I feel I can blab it out now.

3 Likes

Voilá look here what @Divy wrote on the subject everyone

1 Like

I recently asked Malcolm McDowell about Leone wanting him for this film. Here is his response:

6 Likes

Dean, I am so happy that you got to attend the Malcolm McDowell event - and to meet the man himself! :+1:

I presume it was well attended…?

Great stuff…

“Viddy well brother…”

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Dean that was great to see.

3 Likes

Very cool!

As nice as it is to hear how he would’ve loved to work with Leone on the film, I think Coburn was the better choice for the role. Sean Mallory being young and hot-tempered probably wouldn’t have created the dynamics between him and Juan like Coburns more laconic portrayal did.

2 Likes

Very cool, Dean.
Where was the event?

1 Like

Malcolm attended a Clockwork Orange screening in Sheffield the night before, and then Sheffield HorrorCon all weekend. So it was rather surreal to spend almost 3 days with the guy.

We spoke a lot at his autograph table. As soon as I brought up spaghetti westerns he said “Oh was it you who asked me that?”

He was unaware of the UK title being Fistful of Dynamite, and agreed Duck You Sucker is a terrible title. He also compared Leone to Orson Welles, in that they both ordered enough food for 20 people when he had dinner with them.

Yes, I told him Coburn got the role, and he said “So why did he want me? I was so much younger than him”.
One wonders how Jason Robards would’ve fared, since he was Leone’s first choice.

4 Likes

Oh man, I would have loved that

1 Like

Because sometimes I’m just an idiot with a glass of wine too many, and I’m thinking, if they remade this as a modern day blaxploitation film, it would be Sam Jackson instead of Coburn and the movie titled “Duck, motherfucker!” haha

2 Likes

Think it’s an underrated masterpiece personally, if any other filmmaker directed it, the movie would’ve been regarded higher… Following on from (IMO only) the 3 greatest movies of all time would diminish the impact on any flik… Morricone’s score is my favourite of all

2 Likes

yeah I always thought that the main problem of this movie was that it was made by the guy who made the other films he had made before

3 Likes

Actually I think it is the other way round. Without the Leone stamp on it this film would be comparatively unknown. Just like some others of the best SWs, which are all not that famous in world cinema, neither are their directors.

If Cemetery without Crosses had been made by Leone, we would meanwhile have the 10th DVD/Blu release of that one. But not much really care for a Hossein directed film, not even the Frenchies.
Same for The Mercenary.

I agree entirely. OUATIW and GBU are my two favourites and they used to be followed by The Godfather I, but after watching FAFDM for maybe the fifth time I loved it more than ever and it firmly became my third favourite film.

I agree. It’s not perfect, but I think it is overlooked on a mainstream scale (sadly like a lot of great spags).

2 Likes

maybe, but it’s not popularity or familiarity I was hinting at. I think the movie suffers from having to live up to Leone’s other works, whereas on its own it would have counted as quite an achievement, from any other director

3 Likes