Dubbing/language preference?

This is something I’ve been thinking about for some time. What’s your opinion when it comes to language in euro westerns? That is, which language do you prefer to watch a western in?

Most people would probably say “original language”, whatever that is… Italian, I guess, although often equal amounts of Spanish and German were spoken on set. But I definitely like my westerns in English, including the ones we call “spaghetti” or “euro”. The reason is simple: It seems more natural. In the old west they mostly spoke English. A western in Italian or German isn’t the same experience for me. Just like I prefer “gialli” set in Italy and with Italian characters in the Italian lingo.

I understand that many prefer other dubs though, and I know that it’s common to dub movies and tv shows throughout Europe. What do you Germans think about the German dubbing quality? Are there any Spanish board members? What do you think about the Spanish dubbing? Does a domestic dub heighten the experience, or is it all the same or worse? Which language do you prefer?

I’m just curious, since it’s so different in different countries. In Sweden only children’s movies are dubbed, everything else is subtitled. I would probably laugh my ass off if I saw a western with Franco Nero, Gianni Garko, Nieves Navarro and Fernando Sancho dubbed into Swedish!

I wish I would understand Italian good enough (only enough to order pasta at a restaurant). So I watch whatever I can get. Mostly I prefer Italian with some subtitles (english or german), but I am also okay with watching English or German dub. But dub isn’t dub. there are good ones and bad ones :wink:

What I like the most is the broken english of Franco Nero, Tomas Milian, and others :slight_smile:

So do I. But I prefer English or German dub more than Italian dub…

I prefer subtitles. Hearing the original language helps the performance of the film.

Original Language, English Subtitles

Yes, so say most people, but in what way?
In a movie with Italian, Spanish, German and French actors, not even Italian is the “original language”. Most none-italian actors didn’t dub their own voices into Italian, since they didn’t know the lingo. I don’t even know if all Italian actors dubbed themselves in Italian versions.
Sure, the English dub can sound extremely lame at points, but I still prefer that over Italian or German speaking sheriffs, señoritas and baddies.

As long as it’s not French, I have no problem with whatever language they use.

English language or Italian with English subs.
i really depends what film it is, how good or bad the dubbing is and how tired i am, the more tired i am i think …fuck the subtitles!

[quote=“CJ_076, post:5, topic:326”]I prefer subtitles. Hearing the original language helps the performance of the film.[/quote]but do remember these films were shot bilingual sometimes, with people speaking English, Italian,German,Spanish and god knows what other languages on set and half the time can’t communicate with each other.
in some films you get a pause between actors talking to each other, this seems cool but the truth is half the time they didn’t realise it was their turn to speak!

The first time I watch a film, I like english dubbing. After that, further viewings in the original language. The reason is that I find I miss a lot of what’s going on while reading sub titles, especialy if there is a lot of dialogue. Once I’ve heard the english dub and got the general idea of what’s being said, the films are often much better in their original language. This is especialy true with SW’s as they often suffer from bad dubbing, giving them an undeserved cheap, unproffessional reputation.

I personally prefer to watch these films dubbed in my own language (English) and when seeking out a film, it being a widescreen/anamorphic, full version DVD with an English audio option, would definitely influence my buying decision and ultimately the contents of my Spaghetti Western collection. There are many Spaghetti Western I’m so eager to see however, with the absence of this option I would choose Italian audio with English subtitles. I cannot be the only one here though who has sat through a film I was desperate to see, in Italian or German without English subtitles TOTALLY oblivious to any of the dialogue spoken. I know there is always the option of “grey area” DVDr’s, but I always prefer to buy official releases in the hope good sales will encourage companies to dig deep in their archives and release good versions of a wider variety of titles.

Like you Cian I do like to experiment though, I’ve even sat through “Django” in English audio WITH English subtitles on, quite a bewildering experience I’ll tell you.???

i prefer English language but i don’t mind subtitles if it is the only option, i often like to watch both versions if i can becuase the story and names often differ.

I always try for english dub,but the only copy i could find of JOHNNY HAMLET was italian with english sub titles and hearing it in italian actually seemed to fit this paticular movie for some reason.Also i want an italian with english subs of DJANGO i’ve read the original dialogue wasn’t as corny as the dubbed version and i beleive this must be true ;D on a side note i prefer original language with subtitles when it comes to asian movies,im not sure why ???

The NTSC Region 0 Blue Underground DVD has this facility and the English subtitles greatly improve your enjoyment of the film. The English subtitles are a translation of the Italian audio and this differs from the English audio quite considerably. Whoever was responsible for the English dub also took it upon themselves to re-write whole sections of the script! >:(

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:10, topic:326”]… these films were shot multilingual sometimes, with people speaking English, Italian,German,Spanish and god knows what other languages on set and half the time can’t communicate with each other.
in some films you get a pause between actors talking to each other, this seems cool but the truth is half the time they didn’t realise it was their turn to speak![/quote]
With each actor speaking their lines in their own native tongue during the films shooting. A sound recording must have been made at the time even if it was only for reference purposes. Surely some of these have survived, now that would make an interesting DVD extra.

I like movies that use that for style reasons. Or just to show language differencies. I know two french films that do this: L´auberge espagnole, which is a nice movie about studying in spain, like i did myself. And science of sleep. Nice movie too. Sorry for being offtopic.
I think those sound recordings if they exist are quite bad. I think Eastwood mentioned that in the dollar film nobody carred about sound as it was clear that the movies were redubbed.

I like my westerns in English. I think it would be weird to see them speaking Italian. Also if there are American stars in it most of the time they dub their own voice on the English version, so I feel that is the better to watch.

Welcome to the board El Vasco, i see you are a lover of Companeros :slight_smile:

My thinking on this subject is that I, primarily, want to hear the original actors speaking their lines. Almost all of these films were redubbed after shooting was completed so the “original language” is meaningless. So, for me, what matters is that I actually hear the actors speaking. This is, of course, not always possible, especially in the supporting roles. I enjoy hearing people like Franco Nero speaking their lines so I don’t mind the English dub in Companeros, The Mercenary, etc, etc but I simply MUST watch Django and Texas Addio in the original Italian because the English dubs for his characters are terrible (this is why I’m still angry that I haven’t been able to find Massacre Time in the original Italian for a reasonable price…)

Flynn