Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

[quote=“mark520, post:59, topic:2720”]A white Django would make little sense in this case.
Funny enough I read everywhere that Tarantino is going to make a spaghetti western, but without Italian funding and/or locations this can of course not be true. Anyway, I hope the distributors smell money and are going to release loads of spaghetti westerns. And that’s about the best thing about this news.[/quote]
Well spoken

[quote=“mark520, post:59, topic:2720”]A white Django would make little sense in this case.
Funny enough I read everywhere that Tarantino is going to make a spaghetti western, but without Italian funding and/or locations this can of course not be true. Anyway, I hope the distributors smell money and are going to release loads of spaghetti westerns. And that’s about the best thing about this news.[/quote]

I think QT means he wants to make a western with the style and feel of spag. And you can’t say for sure that it won’t be shot on actual SW locations. It ain’t even been made yet. Alot could happen between now and then. I too hope this flick restarts some interest in the genre.

I will never judge a film without seeing it, and even more in QT’s case, let’s be honest how many of you ever thought that Inglourious Basterds would be such a great film, for me his best since Jackie Brown, and his best ever film so far.
At the time I guess that doing a film, remake or not, called Inglourious Basterds would just be impossible to be a great one, maybe another nonsense waste of time, somewhere between saving private ryan and kelly’s heroes with steroids, but he came out with a great masterpiece, that made him not just the ultimate geek director but, really a great one that deserves to be named among the best ones.

About the cast, an actor is an actor, he could even cast Pee wee would mean nothing it’s the way the directors work with them that counts, we all know that Michael Madsen was to be in Travolta part on Pulp Fiction, can you imagine now the film without John Travolta (sorry Madsen, you still cooler than Travolta), so the only thing that comes to mi mind is that some actors must be praying to get the part James Foxx particularly whit is career downhill after that stealh planes fiasco flick.

QT was great in reservoir dogs with great dialogues innovative in style almost like a theatre play, Pulp Fiction was also great in dialogues,and style even if sometimes the references surface a bit Cox Repoman comes to mind even Jarman, but was a great and cool film per si, Jackie Brown was great the stlyle wasn’t of so importance QT proved tthat he could made a film with real characters not just caricatures of reality, or flesh and bone cartoons, and also he could deal with a more convetional story using his very own narrative style, this my sound strange some but parts of the film looked to me at least like if I was watching a Chabrol flick.
Kill bill just took the homage reference a bit to far, making the film(s) just an sequence of scenes after scenes the balance between QT own style and references he had was lost somewhere in the film.

This to say that Inglourious Basterds against most expectations was a great 5 out o 5 film, where the odds seemed against the man he made a masterpiece. I know naming a filme Django something that is so dearest to us, will let us a bit scared about the result, hey but how many Django flicks are out there, if this one comes out a stinker it will be just another one of those, so, the of having an American western with a SW base with a Civil war theme and a mix of European and US actors (like the US was back on those days) just sounds great to me, let’s see if he can pull it of.

What I would really like to see was a Sartana Zombie flick, now that would be something cool.

Yes a zombie western would be awesome. i can see it now some dudes build a settlement on top of an old indian burial ground, throw in a strange weather phenomonon and boom. Indians rising from the grave to claim the lives of the unholy infadels who dare trample their lands. Can I get a woot-woot!

Yeah sounds great, but we have to work a bit on that script Hoover, it sounds a bit similiar to Poltergeist :wink: ;D

A zombie western does sound good Hoover, and I like your idea…what I wouldn’t mind though is seeing QT remake a lesser known spaghetti western (well, lesser known in the US compared to the Leone films). The Leone films are sacred ground and should not be touched imo but remaking something like Keoma, The Big Gundown, or The Mercenary I think would be a cool thing to do. I am not opposed to spaghettis done with zombies or other sci-fi things in them but I think I prefer the more conventional ones. Just my 2 cents.

[quote=“El Topo, post:63, topic:2720”]I will never judge a film without seeing it, and even more in QT’s case, let’s be honest how many of you ever thought that Inglourious Basterds would be such a great film, for me his best since Jackie Brown, and his best ever film so far.
At the time I guess that doing a film, remake or not, called Inglourious Basterds would just be impossible to be a great one, maybe another nonsense waste of time, somewhere between saving private ryan and kelly’s heroes with steroids, but he came out with a great masterpiece, that made him not just the ultimate geek director but, really a great one that deserves to be named among the best ones.[/quote]

I know it’s all subjective, but I do not feel this way about Inglourious Basterds. It has some positives, but I definitely would not class it as “masterpiece” or a “5 out of 5 film”.

Also, I always thought the premise of the film sounded great and I went into the cinema prepared to be entertained. I was hoping for something good, but did not have expectations one way or another. In the end, unlike you, I was a bit disappointed.

This I agree with.

I also agree that it is perhaps best not to draw too many conclusions too early on.

However, I think it’s natural to have concerns based on the information which has been released. Personally, I’d love to see the spaghetti western thoughtfully updated for modern audiences. I think it’s more likely that we’ll see a new genre, the “Tarantino western”, with a few elements borrowed from spaghetti westerns.

What I mean is that Tarantino’s style is so overpowering that I think it’s unlikely, based on his track record, that he will allow this film to be first and foremost a spaghetti western rather than a Tarantino film. It’s not the end of the world, because Tarantino is an entertaining filmmaker regardless; just a little disappointing perhaps, if I’m right.

No one would notice. Hell we could just call it a re-invisioning and Hollywood would kiss our asses. No one has an original idea anymore, it’s all just recycled.

Quentin Tarantino is the only director/writer who can do justice to a modern spaghetti western.

1 Like

Tarantino is already messing it up with his Hollywood cast.

Agreed.

In this context Jamie Foxx seems to me a much better choice than Will Smith. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing this on the big screen. :slight_smile:

Django unchained, this sounds like a film about a black slave turning into a gunfighter. It will never work with jamie foxx, this will be a BOMB.
What next? Denzel Washington as SARTANA! >:(

I remember an episode of the Jamie Fox Show where they did a western theme and Jamie Foxx did a man with no name impression. Not too impressive. But his acting has come a long way since his shitty sitcom.

Garko would have have a heart attack.

i´m curious if Tarantino is going to use music from good old spaghies as for his previous spectacles
or we´ll see a new spaghetti score

http://www.agi.it/english-version/people/elenco-notizie/201109042152-spe-ren1087-franco_nero_will_be_exchanging_cameos_with_tarantino

21:52 04 SET 2011

(AGI) Rome - Franco Nero is going back to act in a western by Tarantino, which takes inspiration from the character in ‘Django’. At Leonardo da Vinci airport , on his way to Canada where he will be awarded a star in the Italian Walk of Fame from Toronto’s Italian community, Nero said “Tarantino officially asked me to be a cameo in his film. They start shooting in November. I asked him to be a cameo in my movie, too, The Angel, The Brute and The Wise. It’ll be directed by Castellari and I’ll be the Angel as well as co-producer.”

[quote=“AngelFace, post:77, topic:2720”]http://www.agi.it/english-version/people/elenco-notizie/201109042152-spe-ren1087-franco_nero_will_be_exchanging_cameos_with_tarantino

21:52 04 SET 2011

(AGI) Rome - Franco Nero is going back to act in a western by Tarantino, which takes inspiration from the character in ‘Django’. At Leonardo da Vinci airport , on his way to Canada where he will be awarded a star in the Italian Walk of Fame from Toronto’s Italian community, Nero said “Tarantino officially asked me to be a cameo in his film. They start shooting in November. I asked him to be a cameo in my movie, too, The Angel, The Brute and The Wise. It’ll be directed by Castellari and I’ll be the Angel as well as co-producer.”[/quote]
Castellari´s still kicking, well, that would be something i really want to see how he can handle western today

Castellari and Nero have been trying to get that project off the ground for years but easier said then done. I remember brother In Law Liam Neeson was supposed to be in it as well.

there’s a comic book dead west witch is like a zombie western
amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-West-Rick-Spears/dp/0976303817