Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

I agree with that, and I think each of his subsequent films has gotten a bit worse. The last one, Django Unchained, felt to me like a slightly above average Hollywood film. If it didn’t say directed by Tarantino at the beginning, I wouldn’t have noticed it - it could have been a film by a director who likes Tarantino’s style (and yes, his use of music has also sometimes become arbitrary and slapped on in recent years). I just think he’s totally repeating himself, and maybe the passion has dried up, as he doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone anymore, as he has become a respected part of the Hollywood community.
Now, after Django Unchained, I’m not looking forward to a Tarantino film anymore, the magic is gone, and now it’s just, “nice, he’s making a new film, I’m going to watch it”, but it doesn’t feel like anything special anymore.

To tell you the truth, I thought there were a few scenes in “IBS” that were as good as anything anywhere - very intense. I liked Unchained until the last 20 minutes, which were overkill (no pun meant) IMO. But I was looking forward to another western, little bummed about the leaked script.

A shame I agree. I like Dern, he’s one of my favorite actors, and I was looking forward to seeing him again.

Latest rumours say that QT is back on H8 work again.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-the-hateful-eight-is-back-on-quentin-tarantino-to-rewrite-script-20140201

That’s good. Hope there is some truth in the gossip. :slight_smile:

I just Hope Dern is in the film, if it get’s made. A phenomenal actor!

I liked him in Silent Running and Black Sunday.

I sincerely hope this comes to fruition.

You need to see him in Kirk Douglas’ POSSE, if you get the chance. A powerhouse performance! Also one of the best westerns ever.

I forgot that he was in “Posse” - I like him in “The Driver,” “Support Your Local Sheriff,” “Hang 'em High,” and “The Cowboys.”

Actually there isn’t anything I’ve seen him in that I haven’t liked him in, now that I think about it…

Posse (1975) is an underated western. Another great Dern role is in the film “Black Sunday” (1977) where he plays his crazy type of role to perfection.

He’s saying now that he’s going to make a TV miniseries out of the unused footage left over from the filming of Django Unchained.

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/23/quentin-tarantino-django-unchained-tv-series-cannes[/url]

Tarantino has announced so many projects, I’m always dubious as to whether any will come to fruition. A Django Unchained miniseries is interesting, but despite liking the film, the idea of it becoming even longer tempers my anticipation.

I hope they do it.

Digging this up just because :slight_smile:

of course with a dedicated corner for The Hateful Eight and Django Unchained.

I was wondering…do you consider it as a real Spaghetti Western (bad or good, no matter), or only a film that wants to looks like one (or wants to homage them)? I never seen it again (since the premier day), I remember I liked the references to others Spaghetti, but I didn’t feel it like one. I think I prefer ‘Hatefull Eight’, it’s a little bit slow and not so crazy like Django, but it focus better on the narrative.

I don’t consider it a Spaghetti Western, but an American western heavily influenced by them. I agree it does pay homages to them.
Christopher Waltz won several awards for his performance, among them Best Supporting Actor at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes and BAFTAs. For his screenplay, Tarantino won an Academy Award, a Golden Globe, and a BAFTA. However it did not strike a cord with me, I didn’t understand what all the fuss was about.

I certainly wouldn’t consider it a real spaghetti western since… well, since it simply isn’t. I do think all of Tarantino’s movies are demonstrably influenced by spaghetti westerns however, and all pay homage to them to at least some degree, even when they’re explicitly taking cues from some other genre: kung-fu, blaxploitation or whatever. Is that a conscious choice on his part? I’d say it clearly is in some instances, maybe it’s less deliberate (but prevalent nonetheless) in others.

That said and despite the more obvious references (the soundtrack, the title, Franco Nero’s cameo etc.), I don’t think Django Unchained is a particularly spag-like western. Iirc, wasn’t Quentin himself routinely describing it as a “southern” rather than a western throughout the publicity junkets?

For me, The Hateful Eight is considerably more “spag” and, imho, Reservoir Dogs is his most spag-like film of all (and what is The Hateful Eight really but Reservoir Dogs 1877?)

3 Likes

It could be…it reminds me ‘The great silence’ and ‘Cut-thoats Nine’ in wich he said he had been inspired for doing that.

Totally true.

2 Likes

Just to place the link

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Django_Unchained

You also find some movie references guide there and all that…