Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

I’m just beginning to appreciate it. Watched the first 45 min last week, and I don’t know anymore what I had to complain when I watched it in the theatre.

The last 45 minutes?

I remember going to see this on opening day during the matinee. I was the only person in the auditorium.

I love the film, though. I rank it as #3 on my QT list.

I recall checking my watch and noticing that nearly two hours had passed since the opening credits. Always a positive when you can do something like that.

I had no specific problems with the ending, but let’s wait until I re-watch the rest.

My own:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
(Natural Born Killers)
3. Kill Bill, Volume 1
4. Kill Bill, Volume 2
5. Jackie Brown
(True Romance)
6. Death Proof
7. Inglourious Basterds
8. Django Unchained
(Four Rooms)

I like them all, though.

JACKIE BROWN
KILL BILL
DJANGO UNCHAINED
RESERVOIR DOGS
PULP FICTION
DEATH PROOF
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

Like you, I enjoy them all.

Death Proof is my favourite.

I hated that film when I first saw it. But it’s grown on me with repeated viewings. Really dig Kurt Russell.

Yes Russell is a standout in the film.

I hate when he gets his ass handed to him in the end! Heh.

I also thought Russell should have won. I rooted for him for the whole film.

I like the guy’s films a lot but he does have a tendency to just cut & paste music into his films “without coherence” like Morricone said. It’s a bit like watching a tubedubber video sometimes.

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it here before but Tarantino’s style of using music reminds me of turkish westerns. :smiley:

No, he has a genuine feeling for using music in his films. His scores are always superb.

Indeed, his selection is never less than intelligent and it always fits - like Scorsese, but Tarantino sometimes is wilfully anachronistic to a quite wonderful effect, like David Bowie in Inglorious Basterds.

Tarantino hasn’t made a really good film since Jackie Brown. I actually think Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds are his best since JB. Kill Bill and Django are awful imo.

Goes only for pop songs. His recycling of Morricone just feels slapped on there to me. No real ideas behind that.

Tarantino hasn't made a really good film since Jackie Brown.

JACKIE BROWN is my favorite QT. Though I really like KILL BILL, I feel like DEATH PROOF and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS were lacking. He made up for lost time with DJANGO UNCHAINED, though.

I’ll agree with that to a point. His use and choice of music in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were very fitting and blended well with the various L.A. locations and sequences. David Bowie in Inglourious Basterds was good as well as the opening scene with the bit of music from The Big Gundown. I mostly feel the music a bit out of place in Kill Bill and Django Unchained.

Not always - the rap song that comes in during the house shoot-out scene where Django gets captured is horribly out of place and way too quiet to make up for its out of placeness… I don’t have that opinion because of a dislike for rap or hiphop, I’ve always listened to a lot, but that scene is really poor usage of music

I don’t really share the sentiment about Scorsese either. Somewhat recently tried again to view Bringing Out The Dead, and turned it off halfway through. One of the primary annoyances with the film is the sloppy music thrown around constantly - its like he’s trying to bring in a lil music scene every 5 minutes because he’s so dang good at it, but maybe he forgot why