Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

I will upload these later, or maybe Muskete, he does a lot of work with the wiki!

What happened to my pictures?

I had posted 4-5 Django-pictures but now they have just disappeared ???

Maybe when Seb updated the forum softwareā€¦?!

I found them again on the net ;D

Not forgetting that piece of cinematic shit ā€œONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN, DJANGO VERSUS SARTANAā€

by the way, i am waiting for some Jonah Hex comics i won off ebay (iā€™d only ever read KID COLT before). :slight_smile:

I never really took an interest in SW beyond Leone, but recently took a gamble when I bought the Dutch DVD version of Django. Even though it only contains the dubbed track, it still rocked my world. Neroā€™s presence shines through the bad dubbing, and he makes this film great. Of course, thereā€™s also the stylized violence, a great score by Bacalov, the wonderfully grey, muddy setting and solid editing. People complain about the lowbudget, but how can you complain when that budget was used so well? Iā€™ve only seen a couple of non-Leone so far, but I doubt that this one will be topped.

Iā€™ve heard that more often, but I donā€™t agree. Besides that, A Fistful of Dollars is a remake itself. With a bit of imagination thereā€™s some Yojimbo in Django I guess, but about as much as there is Yojimbo in, for instance, Lucky Number Slevin.

Well you can think what you like, but Django is quite clearly based on A Fistful Of Dollars even if these two films are very different from each other.

The basic plot is roughly the same, but everything is taken one step further in Django and Corbucci wanted it to be the anti-thesis of Leoneā€™s film.

Of course Fistful is a remake itself, but it is much more related to Django than Kurosawaā€™s film, since both of them are spaghettiwesterns.

I guess you could say that A Fistful of Dollars is the ā€˜gapā€™ between Yojimbo and Django. Yet I thank the latter two are more closely related since theyā€™re 95% the same movie. The remaining 5% being the change of settings. Yojimbo is an amazing movie by the way. I doubt there will be SW afficionados that will not like it. Great acting by ToshirĆ“ Mifune. Very cool atmosphere (excellent cinematography and brilliant music). To close the circle: Kurosawa in his turn of course was inspired by westerns, mainly John Fordā€™s.

If anyone is interested in getting to know Kurosawas samurai films, I can recommend the Criterion collection copies of Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Hidden Fortress and 7 Samurai. Sanjuro is a kind of follow up to Yojimbo with a lone samurai standing between 2 opposing factions, one good, the other evil. Hidden Fortress is often cited as an influence for the Star wars films. The 7 Samurai is of course the original Magnificent 7.

Toshiro Mifune stars in all 4 and I often think of him as a Japanese Lee Van Cleef. The guys screen presence is awsome. Has anyone seen Roshimon? Can they recommend it?

[quote=ā€œYodlaf Peterson, post:26, topic:148ā€]Not forgetting that piece of cinematic shit ā€œONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN, DJANGO VERSUS SARTANAā€

by the way, i am waiting for some Jonah Hex comics i won off ebay (iā€™d only ever read KID COLT before). :)[/quote]Hey Yodlaf,what did you think of your HEX comics? iā€™ve got a few KID COLT and RAWHIDE KID comics they are corny but i love 'em.

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Iā€™ve seen Rashomon and itā€™s quite an enjoyable movie. Itā€™s not really a samurai story. Itā€™s more of a crime mystery set during those times. You see the events from four different peopleā€™s perspectives.

i thought the Jonah Hex comics were excellent but the best western comic i have read has got to be LOVELESS :slight_smile:

How is in the engl. version the final scene dubbed, where Major Jackson shoots the sign of the cross into the cross behind which Django is kneeling.
In the ital. version he says: In the name of the father the son and the holy ghost and Django replys with Amen before shooting. One of the greatest SW lines.

In Germany, these Idiots had dubbed something else.

The English dub really messes this great line of dialogue up, Major Jackson says something on the lines of ā€œI canā€™t hear you praying!ā€ to which Django replies ā€œCan you hear this!ā€. Lots of dialogue is changed or missed out altogether in the English dub, that why I always advise people to watch the Italian dub with English subtitles on, the subtitles are a direct translation of the Italian audio.

Maybe something small is missing in this one. This is the only Corbucci movie Iā€™ve seen so far - soon to change. I love the coffin aspect, the character is very cool (maybe thatā€™s why they made 50 knock-offs). I often have the opening track in my head, even if I canā€™t quite recall the words.

I think itā€™s a great movie and i donā€™t think anything is missing from it;)
Franco Nero is really great in it, i love the atmosphere in this movie-all this dust and mud, the theme song is incredibly catchy [but i prefer english version over the italian one anytime] and the action scenes are great. The bleak ending is also great!

The 1st half and the ending are great, sometimes brilliant, but the whole part with the mexicans is surprisingly conventional.
The smaller shootouts are brilliantly made, but in the greater action scenes unfortunately the cheapness shows, they are not so well cut like in Corbucciā€™s later SWs and look rather static.
Thatā€™s why Django is not as good as The Great Silence and The Mercenary, which are his masterpieces.

But thanks to the power of all the unusual ideas, itā€™s nevertheless one of the best Spaghettis.

Oh, and the theme song, I like the music but they should have skipped the silly lyrics.
ā€œAfter the shower, the sunā€. Laughable.

[quote=ā€œstanton, post:39, topic:148ā€]Oh, and the theme song, I like the music but they should have skipped the silly lyrics.
ā€œAfter the shower, the sunā€. Laughable.[/quote]
Hehe, it is pretty tacky. But thereā€™s something bout that song, I canā€™t get it out of my head. I find myself singing that shit in the shower.