Django Challenges Sartana / Django sfida Sartana (Pasquale Squitieri, 1970)

Database Page: Django sfida Sartana - The Spaghetti Western Database

The mythical confrontation between SWs most famous heroes is only a lame quarrel, and the title would be more appropriate if it would have been changed to Django with Sartana. And of course the leads Tony Kendall and George Ardisson are not able to walk in Nero’s and Garko’s boots.

Pascal Squitieri’s debut film is a cheap affair produced in “Fidani Country”, and despite a few ambitious looking shots the film often looks rather clumsy. The acting is mostly weak and the dialogues are a stiff and shallow rendering of SW cliches. As so often the music is the best part to remember.

Not too bad, but still forgettable. 2/5

Nothing special but ok entertainment. 3/5

Most Spaghetti elements are in this one and even though not excuted as good as others still worth a view if not seen yet.

I also thought the music was the best part.

thinking I will give this one another shot soon, didn’t impress me much first time around but I think it will fare better on the 2nd viewing

I wrote a review of it, too:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_sfida_Sartana_review

I agree with you guys… the music is something to remember, gutural voices, like gregorian chants… Any release on cd for this score?

kind regards
Gualixo “el bandito”

[quote=“Silence, post:5, topic:1699”]I wrote a review of it, too:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_sfida_Sartana_review[/quote]

Nice review…pretty much sums up how i saw it years ago. Did love that soundtrack though. ONe thing though. It wasn’t Tony Kendall’s first western, it was his fourth…he was in one as far back as 1963…and for George Ardisson, if you count a couple of Zorro films it was his 6th or 7th (he did two 1970 films…don’t know which came first). :slight_smile:

Thanks for the correction. I’m use to only looking at Italian titles when I’m searching for westerns so I forgot them.

Below average, cheaply made and not so well directed. This movie lacks in two very important issues: style & inspiration. 1.5/5

Shit! >:(

Is this the same movies that is included in the Sartana set?

I don’t know…but I know it’s SHIT! :slight_smile: If I had a guess I would say no as there is really no relation to this ‘Sartana’ / Frank Costanza look-a-like & GG’s.

''Del Boca vista!"

1 Like

you are right that guy is a dead ringer for Jerry Stiller and he looks like a pimp as well.

Am I the only one who likes this film here? So much that I made a fan dub for it (but later someone made better one)

7/10

Do not mind the film myself…there is alot worse than this one :wink: .

No, the two Django/Sartana films included in the Sartana Saga are both Fidani’s. One good one (ONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN), and one not so good (SHOWDOWN IN THE WEST).

I quite like this one too. It was one of the first SW’s i saw (aside from the obvious ones) and so also the first “Sartana” film viewed. So no comparisons to make with Garko. Went off it a bit some years ago but viewed recently and found myself liking it again. Some crazy music going on there too!

Thanks I didn’t think they were the same movie.

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:12, topic:1699”]I don’t know…but I know it’s SHIT! :slight_smile: If I had a guess I would say no as there is really no relation to this ‘Sartana’ / Frank Costanza look-a-like & GG’s.

''Del Boca vista!"[/quote]
You at least have a good version, my DVDr is not so good. VHS rip.

[quote=“Stanton, post:1, topic:1699”]Django sfida Sartana - The Spaghetti Western Database

The mythical confrontation between SWs most famous heroes is only a lame quarrel[/quote]

There in lies the problem.
The title makes a promise it can’t keep.
They have a rather lame fist fight and then they team up.
The gunfights are good though and the two title characters get cool introductions.
Worth at least one view.