Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

Any chance of Death Rides a Horse (Explosive Media) being re-released on Blu-ray?
I wanted to buy but canā€™t find anywhere.

They do no longer have the rights to it, but I am fairly certain whoever inherited the rights will not pass up the oportunity of selling new editions to us fans. I stay optimistic, especially because there is HD material (I am less optimistic with movies where no known HD material is out there)

Ok, good to know. Thanks :slight_smile:

Finally, I was able to find used version. Now I can wait for the announcement of the new release :joy:

1 Like

Watched it again on the new Plaion Pictures disc last night. Movie better but different than I remembered. Disc is awesome, I can answer all questions about this edition, except detailed quality comparison for which I do not have the equipment to do soā€¦

1 Like

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format. Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

Petroni evening.
Next to rewatching Night of the Serpent I also gave DRaH another chance, but I still donā€™t get it why this for me enjoyable yet never outstanding Spag is held in such a high esteem amongst the genre fans, why this one is in the forumā€™s top 10.
I maybe liked it a little bit more this time, and LvC is really good here, but itā€™s not enough to leave a lasting impression.

I also noticed that the plot has a lot of implausibilities, not that such is very important for a SW, but here it feels a bit lazy in places.

Whatever, still 6/10

3 Likes

Stanton going against the grain? Never !!

3 Likes

Not whilst Iā€™m swimming against the river ā€¦

I say, better watch El puro instead (Dean will name another film).

2 Likes

Truly unprecedented timesā€¦
Next youā€™ll be saying Boot Hill is in your top 20, with enjoyable circus scenes.

1 Like

That sounds rather insane, but wait ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m with Stanton here. DRAH has always seemed curiously overrated to me too.

Doing an on stage intro to this film for a screening later this month. If anyone has any fun facts we havenā€™t on the database etc, feel free to share, could also be anecdotes or other trivia

2 Likes

That sounds exciting. Where will it be?

the Filmrauschpalast in Moabit, Berlin

Nice

Death Rides a Horse which I watched last night and saw previously some years back.
Firstly Lee Van Cleef is excellent, sometimes not just with how he delivers a line but by his grin, how he holds his head and his stare. I like Law but at times he isnā€™t great and they gave him some lines which he puts a fair bit of wood into.
ā€œIā€™ve got other things on my mind sheriff for the time being. ā€œ and ā€œI never leave without finishing my drink!ā€ I also think they could have got a few better costumes for him as one of the main heroes going about in a cheap shirt and braces hoisting his pants up. Law is probably doing his best here and I still find him likeable.

Cavanaugh and Walcott are the pick of the villains even though there are some solid henchmen. Pistilli is great as Walcott and I like how he stands and steps about - he has a distinctive gait about him.

Some great scenes - I like the saloon scenes, good fighting and shooting. The villains fall and squirm about about even shot. Great scene where Lee Van Cleef is going up some stairs and he busts two lads who are standing in his way. The Mexican village scenes are with the seedy saloon and burying lads outside after. And the ranch murders at the start are powerful. I like the idea of identifying different gang members and discovering them.

All this is good but a few things donā€™t work well for me. The standoff with the villagers is easily foiled by Walcott and some of his men just go around the back and climb over the walls. Also the big gang 50 of them head off to where LVC is supposed to be and leave 4 in charge. In the saloon Law just rips the guys shirt open and everyone lets him.
The soundtrack is good but not elite.
I like Death rides a horse. The dvd version I have is very poor quality so time to get a better one.

4 stars - ā€œdeal the cards!ā€

5 Likes

Same, 3/5. The main issue for me is it is a simple episodic revenge plot without being too original, exciting or emotional. Lawā€™s stiffness does not help either.

Something is wrong when the most exciting scene of the movie is can shootingā€¦

I guess it is mainly LvC and music that make it favourite for the most.

Hah, I completely forgot about that scene! Great little bit, wonder if it inspired Lucas at all for a scene Iā€™m thinking of in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

1 Like