Dead Men Don’t Count / ¿Quién grita venganza? (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1968)

Cry for Revenge belongs without a doubt to Steffen best 10 SWs (as far as I am concerned is ranked eighth).

The good thing about Steffen is that he didn’t make too many great SWs, but he didn’t make too many bad ones either. Pretty consistent output. This is one of his better ones IMO.

Steffen made a few decent Spags, lots of mediocre stuff, and some of the the bad and boring category too.

I cant think of any Steffen spagacaweas I don’t like at least a little bit

If you expected a masterpiece, this Steffen-Damon collaboration will be a major dissapointment, if you did not, you might be entertained by this lightweight, but violent buddy movie:

[size=12pt][url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dead_Men_Don't_Count_Review[/url][/size]

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/An_den_Galgen,_Bastardo_DVD-Review

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:45, topic:2151”]If you expected a masterpiece, this Steffen-Damon collaboration will be a major dissapointment, if you did not, you might be entertained by this lightweight, but violent buddy movie:

[size=12pt][url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dead_Men_Don't_Count_Review[/url][/size][/quote]

Just watched it, and just read your review. It comprehensively covered everything.

I think the beginning-shootout in the ruins was to show that the brothers were skilled bounty-hunters, to viewers who don’t watch many westerns.

and the end…

Steffen says: " Let’s go to Wyoming. "
Damon says: " We can’t. You’re wanted there. Let’s go to Colorado. "
Steffen should’ve said: " We can’t. You’re wanted there, " instead of just laughing about going to Colorado, then fading out.

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:46, topic:2151”]

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/An_den_Galgen,_Bastardo_DVD-Review[/quote]

Anyone know if this release is English friendly?

I know its the cut German Theatrical version, but not sure on audio, since some sites claim English, but others state Italian and German.

According to the review by our man Bluntwolf it has English audio and is of course uncut, and not only the cut German version.

Thank you, might upgrade from my Wild East disc then.

I watched this from the german dvd few days ago. I had seen it previously but apart from the title scene in the ruins didn’t remember anything about it. Well it’s not a classic and not so memorable film but it’s rather entertaining and has some nice shoot out scenes. Steffen and Damon are surprisingly good together. I have to say I was unsatisfied with the loss of roll-and-shoot act though.

I wasn’t that happy with the picture quality of the dvd which wasn’t that sharp but maybe I’m just getting used to too good. I wonder how the spanish bluray looks.

Anyway, my rating: 6/10

Possibly the least wooden I’ve seen Steffan - Bravo!

3/5

1 Like

I’d like to see this one. How is Damon? Southern accent?

Yep, and his face is annoying as always.

3 Likes

Not a classic SW look.

Hi all, I write my opinion about this film in a facebook group and I translate it to you, sorry if I am a little bit literal, I hope you dont mind:

I have been very surprised by this ‘Chorizo’ Western by Rafael R. Marchent, I think it is one of the best I have seen in the genre in a long time, mainly because although it has all the elements of the genre, it is not limited to be a byproduct that reviews the topics one by one in a rambling way, but it strives to leave its own mark of identity (the action scenes are very well directed and very well edited, those killings recorded in wide shot or the deaths recorded off camera…) and you can appreciate a certain intention of Marchent to make a decent and honest work. It’s true that there’s nothing special about the story but the good work of directing, the performances (I didn’t like Steffen too much, but here he has tottaly convinced me, he’s almost always funny, laconic when it comes to shooting, dramatic just enough…) and a very well-crafted script, with good lines of dialogue that know how to exploit the chemistry between the protagonists, all these things support this film in a very strong way, almost without failures.

Good Spanish stuff. I recommend it to everyone.

2 Likes

Excellent review Carlos. I am a big fan of Anthony Steffen. So I am always glad to see his work get praise. :+1:

1 Like

The Dead Men Don’t Count DVD arrived today, on a rapid shipping schedule. Nice locations Colmenar Viejo, La Pedriza, (possibly the first western town was the disappeared near Colmenar Viejo - I didn’t look after thoroughly), rest of western town scenes in Golden City south of Hoyo de Manzanares and the same green hills as in Garringo (also directed by Rafael Romero Marchent) which I still haven’t identified. Several SWs have that location when the films also used Colmenar Viejo and Hoyo de Manzanares so it might be located near that vast area north of Madrid.

I knew before that there would be some (irritating) lightheartedness and it was excaggerated due to Mark Damon’s character. His characters in Johnny Yuma and especially Requiescant were better suiting the overall mood. It would I think generally be better if Steffen had more modes than one when he is serious (as mostly in other SWs) than his in this movie for once different smiling expressions.
The story was rather typical and at the first watching not so special but I may have missed something.
The music is good or very good sometimes, and probably by Giombini (according to the thread info above) and partly the same or almost the some nice theme as in Garringo.

I now think Garringo is probably the slightly better SW (a weak 7/10) due to less lightheartedness, and maybe Dead Men Don’t Count is worth a 6/10. I will watch it again rather soon I presume.

1 Like

Ooops, today I suddenly recognised those hills from another recently bought SW, that is Fifteen Scaffolds for a Killer / The Dirty Fifteen where aldo explained the Mexican fort was located near (some kilometers south of) Ciempozuelos, Madrid.

And in Dead Men Don’t Count for example this screenshot reveals the same location, if you copy and paste this link below. The images are very bright during the film (better than too dark IMO).

After this second watching I think the unnecessary comedy and lightheartedness to some degree are compensated for by very good music, nice Spanish locations and a decent plot. So a 6/10 for a rank 44 on my SW top 50 is my current verdict.

www.google.se/maps/@40.1168233,-3.6195163,3a,15y,295.07h,89.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8TQHeRzYuGYlCQxMD0yEJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

1 Like