Dead Men Don’t Count / ¿Quién grita venganza? (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1968)

I’ve bought the Impulso DVD forced by my collectible dark side. Anyway, I think this one is nothing but an ok.
Didn’t check that soundtrack issue yet.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:4, topic:2151”]Cheers chaps - something I noticed though on a different note :P, regarding the music.
Our database has it credited to Marcello Giombini… as does the ropey version I have.

However, the other version says…

???
Now, I’m no expert on the musical side of things - so…? :-[/quote]

I brought this bit of confusion up about a year and a half ago on “the Leone board” as well as the “Spaghetti Western Web Board” and couldn’t get a straight answer.
Although, I seem to recall somebody making an arguement that the music sounds more like an Ortolani than it does a Giombini.
Of course, that arguement is heavily flawed.

As for the film, it’s very good in spots (The murder of the leading lady’s family and the leading lady herself if I recall) but overall it’s an “ok” affair.
I’d be content in placing it in the “slightly above average” range.

I remember when watching thinking how much better it would have been with no discernable plot, just have Steffen and Damon going around being bad-asses and catching their game.
An episodic sort of thing with the two bantering back and forth as they shoot baddies for 80 minutes.
Much like Fidani’s Coffin Full Of Dollars, there’s a plot in that one but it’s just an excuse to have a well staged gunfight every 5 minutes.

Steffen’s own Apocalypse Joe comes to mind, where the plot is paper thin and the action is fast and fun.

I think thanks to Steffen, this was a good one. I love seeing him in funny roles, and he doesn’t look like a cardboard cut out here. Damon doesn’t do as well imo.

Good movie, with decent interaction between the leads and a well-maintained and suitably cynical tone throughout.

i quite liked this, like others have said, i thought Steffen And Damon worked well together. not a great fan of " Light Hearted" SW’s but this one doesn’t go over the top and is like a " Buddy" movie. It also has some violent and nasty moments with three different families being massacred. Easily watchable, and entertaining but not great.The ending was ok but was it me ( did i fall asleep or something) but Steffen’s character explained everything to Damon’s character about the woman who believed him to be her son, how did he know? i realise spaghetti westerns aren’t known for their logic but i thought that was stretching it!( unless i missed something as i said) ??? not bad overall 6/10

Watched this one last night. It’s unmistakably Rafael Marchent. All his spaghettis are so alike. We have the Fistful town as seen in Prey of the Vultures, Garringo, and some others I’m sure. Similar casts, Marcello Giombini score (though my version also says Ortolani which is a mistake), and same locations.

It’s pretty good but so routine.

Enjoyed this one but it is a strange mix.
Very high body count and some really brutal and callous murders yet, overall, it fits into the ‘light hearted’ mould more than anything. As mentioned above, more like a buddy movie than anything else. Both leads perform well though and the supporting cast of Lulli, Induni, Baldassarre et al is first rate. One thing it clearly lacked though was a ‘roll and shoot’. What were they thinking?!? So many opportunities and it never came. A couple of ‘dive and shoots’ but Steffen’s genuine trademark was sadly missing. Couldn’t help but feel a little short changed. Never mind. On the whole an enjoyable ride.
I also watched the Spanish DVD with English dub version and it was very nice quality.

1 Like

Yes, great version.
Uncut, good image quality, intelligible audio … perfect ! :wink:

Watched this one yesterday evening and enjoyed it. Damon is not my favorite, and never will be, SW actor but the chemistry between him and Steffen was remarkable.

Amusing to see that each time they got into a troublesome situation they just called a place where they were before and got out of the pickle;

Damon: "Like Dodge City"
Steffen: “Yes”

Damon: "As in Yuma"
Steffen: “You bet!”

something along those lines, and then off to the solve the situation.

All in all 3,5/5 for me

I totally agree with you Stefaan.

I watched this for the first time today, via the Wild East DVD. I found it to be a fun little film with some great action sequences, but it was more of a comedy Western than I was expecting, with some quite dry humour. I really enjoyed the interplay between Steffen and Damon, and the repeated ‘Like in Wyoming/Tombstone/Yuma’ joke.

Like others have said, it’s more of a ‘buddy’ movie than anything else, before the ‘buddy’ movie became popular - like a Western version of BUSTING, 48 HRS or FREEBIE AND THE BEAN.

I’m a big fan of Rafael Romero Marchent, but I didn’t like this one (in fact I remember very little about it) because it indeed lean towards the “buddy” “comedy” side of things.

That’s one of my favourite Westerns, and I think one of the best performances of Anthony Steffen ! :smiley:

1 Like

Just finished watching this. Decent film, high body count (how many times can one side get wiped out?!?!?!) and the lighter side of Steffen.

Interesting interview with Mark Damon on the WE disc as well.

3/5

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:1, topic:2151”]Quién grita venganza - The Spaghetti Western Database

There seems to be a bit of warmth for this film amongst the forumites, yet no dedicated thread. Let’s put that oversight to rights…

I think that spaghetti newcomers might find this genre outing nothing too special, but to us hardened hombres it has an unexpected freshness to it. And that comes from the chemistry, interaction and ‘out of character-ness’ of it’s two stars - Anthony Steffen and Mark Damon.
I know nothing of their off-screen relationship, but they had shared the credits previously, in another successful pairing, in Train To Durango, and there is a casual naturalness about their acting in this as well. By ‘out of character-ness’, I mean that when I think of Damon, it is the cock-sure, cheesy grinning, hairy chested version that (unfairly ::)) springs to mind. I know he’s played some disparate parts well - from his excellent eponymous hero role in Johnny Yuma to being the theatrically camp villain in Requiescent - and this role as the awkwardly lovestruck sidekick to the older, more worldwise Steffen, does him credit again. Of course we get that famous grin at times, but it’s 41 minutes in before he starts to undo his shirt buttons, and everything just seems a bit more restrained than it could’ve been.

As for Steffen, well, he smiles a lot (!!!) and actually acts in this (as he does in TTD). Now, it’s on record that I AM a big fan of Steffen, and I have no problem with his ‘stiffer/Stiffen’ mode, BUT - it is great to see him so different in this. And he doesn’t even ‘roll and shoot’ … (surely that can’t be right - was it the cider playing tricks on me??).

It’s standard fare, storywise. The money-bags/big-shot character wants to force the land away from the homesteaders because he knows that the railroad will be coming through it on its way to his town of Blackstone. There’s a corrupt sheriff on his payroll, played brilliantly (of couse) by Piero Lulli, a couple of Lulli-alike (Luis Barboo) deputies (who aren’t corrupt), and generally good support all round - particularly from Damon’s love interest, and from her dad as well. Our heros play bounty killers turned lawmen, and despite some cold-bloodied killings early on, they light-heartedly play out their roles perfectly.

Raphael Romero Marchent directs this story skillfully, and at times very stylishly 8). The opening credits play over a shootout in the very photogenic ruins of an old monastery(?), and look great. The action overall is well considered, and just when the film’s ‘comfortness’ is getting … well too comfortable … it gets nasty! We’re over an hour in now - and it’s turned into an altogether darker slice of spaghetti-pie.
Now, this particular black-hearted Reverend would have liked it to have soured some more, and here I think this film had the potential to be something special - but it would have been a difficult act to pull off. In the end, it hits a stylish and more comfortable middle ground, and I wasn’t too disappointed. There’s a sort of twisty-turny bit built into this from the beginning, whereas we’re led to believe that Damon could be the long lost son of Mr. Moneybags’ double crossing wife. So will he be, or won’t he? Anyway, the final bit put a big grin on my face, and I went to bed feeling that I’d been fully entertained by a sw that was not likely to rattle my top 20, but had given me just what I want from the genre - the comfort from watching a film playing within its conventions, but with an extra bonus of being unpredictabe at other times.

The version I watched was a nice wide-ish print that run in at 86 mins - which is a lot better than my old copy which was fullscreen and fuzzy and had foreign subs, and only ran for 76 mins. (But, where is the 94 min. version mentioned in the database?)

4 outa 5 buttons undone on this shirt, for the Rev - and a big cheesy grin to boot :D. [/quote]

Yes and yes and yes …

Yes to Steffen not being stiff and even doing things which could be called acting. It seems he should have done some more of the more light hearted westerns, cause in these he develops some charisma not to be seen in his tough roles. It seems that he is one of the rare actors who are bad in films which just need the looks. Of course the big hat also helps …

And a yes to the sudden nastiness when you just think it all becomes too cushy.

And 10 more yesses cause I can’t say it better than the Rev already did.

Only minus is that the last shoot-out is nothing special, but it should. 6/10

Enjoyable one. Good pace and cinematography. Plenty of people getting shot. Some lame jokes, but also some damn gritty scenes. And of course: Dyanik for your viewing pleasure. 7/10

Yeah, I’ve always liked this one. Both leads play off each other quite well IMO, despite what others think about it.

Very good this one, especially first 30 minutes are 5 stars.

First post pretty much sums it up. I was too surprised to see Steffen much more lively than in other roles I’ve seen him. Definitely my favorite performance of his so far. Great opening credits, excellent little twist at the very end.

Only thing I didn’t like (SPOILERS AHEAD!) is when things got dark, that whole nasty family massacre, movie just went on basically ignoring it. I mean, during the movie we saw Mark Damon falling in love and hanging out with his girl’s family on the ranch and declaring something like he haven’t feel this way before, so he’s considering to change his ways of living by guns and killings. And then he finds his girl and her whole family are slaughtered and just have a look like he found a parking ticket on his windshield. Pretty soon he’s all merry again, and movie ends with him and Steffen giddily laughing and riding of for some more good times (like the ones we just witnessed). I taught that dark part was handled very poorly, and it was the missed opportunity to turn this film into a real winner.

Music was great throughout (my copy said it was by Ortolani), although lacking dramatics in certain moments (see above).

I see the movie doesn’t have a review on SWDB, I’ll take this opportunity to nominate it as one who deserves to be reviewed soon.

[quote=“titoli, post:38, topic:2151”]Very good this one, especially first 30 minutes are 5 stars.

First post pretty much sums it up. I was too surprised to see Steffen much more lively than in other roles I’ve seen him. Definitely my favorite performance of his so far. Great opening credits, excellent little twist at the very end.

Only thing I didn’t like (SPOILERS AHEAD!) is when things got dark, that whole nasty family massacre, movie just went on basically ignoring it. I mean, during the movie we saw Mark Damon falling in love and hanging out with his girl’s family on the ranch and declaring something like he haven’t feel this way before, so he’s considering to change his ways of living by guns and killings. And then he finds his girl and her whole family are slaughtered and just have a look like he found a parking ticket on his windshield. Pretty soon he’s all merry again, and movie ends with him and Steffen giddily laughing and riding of for some more good times (like the ones we just witnessed). I taught that dark part was handled very poorly, and it was the missed opportunity to turn this film into a real winner.

Music was great throughout (my copy said it was by Ortolani), although lacking dramatics in certain moments (see above).

I see the movie doesn’t have a review on SWDB, I’ll take this opportunity to nominate it as one who deserves to be reviewed soon.[/quote]

Point taken

Haven’t seen it yet, but it’s not difficult to trace, I noticed (it’s even on You Tube). Took me some time to find out what movie you were actually talking about, all these titles with revenge and men craying for it make things rather complicated.

A DVD will be released soon in Germany.