Day of Anger / I giorni dell’ira (Tonino Valerii, 1967)

For those who are interested, here are International House Philadelphia’s programming notes for the series “Beyond Leone”, where Tarantino’s 16mm print of Day of Anger screened: http://www.ihousephilly.org/oldsite/beyondleone.htm. And while we’re at it, a calendar listing (http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/arts-and-culture/a-list-38458939.html) for and review of that series (kidney bingos: Catching Up, Part One: What Do You Call Italian-Made Westerns Shot in Spain?).

Definitely one of the better Non-Leone spaghettis, but it was a bit cheesy at times and there was something about the set that made it look like a western toystore diorama. Everything seemed too shiny and perfect, and as someone else mentioned a lack of horses and extras that gives it sort of an empty feel.

Lee Van Cleef is a badass as usual and I quite liked the development of his character and Gemma’s (although his turn at the end seemed to make little sense and was out of character, but it didn’t really affect my overall feelings about the movie). I gave it a 4 out of 5.

great SW not in my top 20 but very very good :slight_smile: guiliammo gema and lee van cleef at their best!
very close to leone works! deserve to be in the oficial top 20 the low thing not too much gunplay
as other SWS

Yesterday I watched it again and I still like Day of Anger. Lee Van Cleef and Gemma are showing strong performances. IMO one of the best Town SW.

Can anyone explain why the tone of the film changes in the end when Gemma flings the gun in the window, I have seen this happen in other movies as well…

[quote=“genesis_pig, post:105, topic:158”]Can anyone explain why the tone of the film changes in the end when Gemma flings the gun in the window, I have seen this happen in other movies as well…[/quote]The last scene is probably cut from the better looking print they used for the dvd.

Argentinian VHS:

Credits sequence, captured from the Argentinian VHS:

Squeeeezed image, reminds me of my own VHS days, when all people during credit sequences looked like Don Quichote

You don’t have a VHS (with good video quality) of Kitosch, the man who came from the North (the prequel of the movie I just reviewed)?

I have a good version with German audio and in 1,78:1. Maybe cut down from 99 min (if such a vesion exists) to 85 min. If you want it …

But the film has nothing to do with the other one except Hilton in the lead and the obscure name.
And it is very different from Merino’s later Spagies Requiem para el Gringo and More Dollars for the McGregors

Other elements common to both films are the same writer (Fulvio Gicca Palli) and… a certain “erotomania” of the main character :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s true, both come in trouble cause they are too much interested in the girls of other men, but still I remember the characters to be different. But maybe I’m wrong.

Didn’t knew about the same writer though. That’s what people call the author’s touch …

Movie production (Pier Ludovico Pavoni for Pacific Cinematografica) and cinematographer (Fausto Rossi) are the same as well, most probably Gicca Palli and Cicero worked together on the screenplay and the result is a very different tone in comparison with the previous film.

[quote=“Stanton, post:109, topic:158”]I have a good version with German audio and in 1,78:1. Maybe cut down from 99 min (if such a vesion exists) to 85 min. If you want it …

But the film has nothing to do with the other one except Hilton in the lead and the obscure name.
And it is very different from Merino’s later Spagies Requiem para el Gringo and More Dollars for the McGregors[/quote]

Sure I want it

Watching Last of the Badmen and the opening scene on You Tube made me very curious about this one

I made a link to a review on another forum, the writer thought the similarities were coincidental. Maybe the screenwriter just picked up the name and the philandering character and created a completely different movie with them. It happened to other names and characters within this genre …

Rewatched it recently after a two year absence and like it even more today than i did before. Having a 55-inch Flat screen tv makes a difference ;D. Great western, not on par with Leone trilogy westerns, but good enough for me to move it up to #5 spot on my top 20 list. :slight_smile:

Its in my top 10 as well Handcuffs. By the way, your signature is rather unsettling to look at lol. The closeup eye shots of Fonda and Bronson just burns a hole into your soul.

In my top 20, one of my favorites.

I think this was the last of the “biggest” SW I hadn’t seen yet and I certainly liked it a lot. Lee Van Cleef’s performance was great and I liked the development of his character. Giuliano Gemma was very good too although his character wasn’t as well written as Van Cleef’s, but he was very good with the what he had and was great in the gunplay as always (that scene where he throws the gun, catches it before it hits the ground and shoots the guy was classic Gemma).
The soundtrack was also very good, very catchy theme and it was very well used. Made its way into my top 20 and now that I’ve seen most of the classics I think it’s time for me to post it.

I recently bought a public domain collection that includes “Days of Wrath”, the alternate title for “Day of Anger”. The movie is in full screen and it appears to be sourced from a VHS tape. The movie runs a little over 1 hour 25 minutes, which is obviously cut. The quality is not great, but it is better than some of the other movies in the collection. The collection has 4 DVDs with 3 movies on each DVD. As far as I know, this is the only other U.S. release of the movie aside from the Wild East release. The company that released the collection is Cinevision International and the collection is called Gunslingers Down By Law Collection. Does anybody know anything about this print of “Days of Wrath”?

Once had a U.K vhs with a similar cut running time.

The DSX DVD has a runtime of 80something minutes so it’s probably the same cut. I’ve avoided buying it because of that. I think it’s widescreen though.