Day of Anger / I giorni dell’ira (Tonino Valerii, 1967)

What’s so bad on Lee’s acting compared to the other SWs he made around 1967?

I think he’s good, but he wasn’t the best possible actor for such a role. Neither was Gemma.

There are a few instances throughout the film that I noticed but the only one that comes to mind right now is during his introduction.
The scene where Van Cleef gives Scott his surname.
He delivers these lines like a tough guy.
“who knows if they’d laugh at it” isn’t a tough guy line.
It’s just bad delivery on his part.

I agree, I like Gemma but he doesn’t seem like a character you’d want to bully around.
I know you don’t like him but Peter Lee Lawrence would have fit the bill of a weak young guy.

Think Peter Lee Lawrence and William Berger could’ve done good in this film.

I happen to think that both Van Cleef and Gemma act great in this. I would’nt change a thing. LVC and Gemma are the real deal folks.

1 Like

Peter Lee Lawrence, never. Acting wasn’t his his cup of tea, and even with non-acting roles he always had serious problems …

Exactly.

I have seen this one finally. Much better than “The Price of Power” and definately worse than “My Name is Nobody”. I must admit that I have expected more. 3,5/5. Maybee I will change my opinion after having rewatched it, but not in the next couple of years. Exspecially in the second half it was not very entertaining and contained to much dialogue. The theme dissapointed me as well, its not very recognisable.

There are some Cleef-Westerns that are better: The Big Gundown, Death Rides a Horse, Sabata and also The Grand Duel. Death Rides a Horse is better mainly due to its fabulous action, Sabata due to its humor and “The Grand Duel” due to a real bad guy called Horst Frank.

[quote=“elSanto, post:67, topic:158”]I have seen this one finally. Much better than “The Price of Power” and definately worse than “My Name is Nobody”. I must admit that I have expected more. 3,5/5. Maybee I will change my opinion after having rewatched it, but not in the next couple of years. Exspecially in the second half it was not very entertaining and contained to much dialogue. The theme dissapointed me as well, its not very recognisable.

There are some Cleef-Westerns that are better: The Big Gundown, Death Rides a Horse, Sabata and also The Grand Duel. Death Rides a Horse is better mainly due to its fabulous action, Sabata due to its humor and “The Grand Duel” due to a real bad guy called Horst Frank.[/quote]

I think only three Cleef-Westerns are better than Day of Anger:

• The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • The Big Gundown

Yes, but they are much better

I agree with you, Stanton.

I think Death rides a horse and Sabata are slightly better than DOA as well. Although DOA is still top 10 stuff for me.

if anyone is interested i have a copy for sale on ebay here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140401908757&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Always great to have new members who are willing to make thoughtful and original contributions to rise the forum quality level to unknown heights.

Does anybody know something about the picture quality of the Italian disc by Medusa Entertainment?

Scherp has made Screenshoots.
See here: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1223.80.html

thx

I, too, like DEATH RIDES A HORSE and SABATA better than DAY OF ANGER. But, of course, I like FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and THE BIG GUNDOWN much more than those two. I like DAY OF ANGER, but I don’t think it would ever be in my Top 10…or even 20.

Just watched this one again and although I don’t think it’s the best film of either Gemma or Van Cleef it is still very good in my opinion and far better than a lot of the stuff they went onto in the coming years.

It could well be Valerii’s best western though. Again, in my opinion. Price of Power would also be a contender but, for me, they are both more entertaining than My Name is Nobody. Which may or may not be more of a Leone film anyway.

Ortolani’s theme tune is enough to win me over to this film on its own. One of my all time favourite bits of Spaghetti music.

[quote=“Phil H, post:78, topic:158”]Just watched this one again and although I don’t think it’s the best film of either Gemma or Van Cleef it is still very good in my opinion and far better than a lot of the stuff they went onto in the coming years.

It could well be Valerii’s best western though. Again, in my opinion. Price of Power would also be a contender but, for me, they are both more entertaining than My Name is Nobody. Which may or may not be more of a Leone film anyway.

Ortolani’s theme tune is enough to win me over to this film on its own. One of my all time favourite bits of Spaghetti music.[/quote]

Absolute agreement.
I am also think, that Day of Anger and The Price of Power are the best of Valerii Western. Followed by A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die. Lanky Fellow, I find only slightly above average. And My Name is Nobody, I have no Affection. I find this very long-winded.

In Day of Anger, I could not understand the first time why is so popular. But the film is better when you see it several times. Meanwhile, I find it really good. But it is sure not Top 10 material . At least not for me.

We have the running time in the DB as 115 mins. Can anyone confirm this as correct? It appears to be listed as 111 mins elsewhere and I want to be as sure as I can about this for a review I am having published on the film.