Day of Anger / I giorni dell’ira (Tonino Valerii, 1967)

I like this film very much. To me it’s one of the three most interesting SWs spawned by FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (the other two being DEATH RIDES A HORSE and - the lesser known and, admittedly, less accomplished - PISTOLEROS). Like Leone’s masterpiece it combines two classic western motives, the old man/young man motive and the vengeance tale; by adding, as Phil says, the morality aspect to the story, the film reaches emotional depts most other spaghetti westerns lack. The first motive (old/young) takes the mentor/apprentice form often used in Hollywood westerns (The Tin Star is a good example), but the usual outcome of this type of westerns, in which the apprentice most often steps in the shoes of his mentor, is drastically changed by combining it intelligently with the second motive, the vengeance tale. To begin with this motive is mirrored in the film itself: both Van Cleef and Gemma are avenger in the movie, Van Cleef enters the movie as one, Gemma becomes one and ends the movie as such. The relationship between the two men evolve from mentor and apprentice to partners and finally opponents. And ultimately it becomes - like most morality tales - a film about coming of age and redemption by making a moral choice: having the chance to become respected (and feared) by the people surrounding him, Gemma’s character is in imminent danger of loosing his own self-respect. Gemma must kill his mentor in order to become of age, and by killing him both men are redeemed.

Always good to see a Van Cleef western without him sporting a ‘rug’.

This is the element of the film I really like. And, as you say Scherp, it is the ambiguity and ultimately flawed nature of the Van Cleef character that makes it interesting and unpredictable.

This is still my favourite LVC film…I can’t really say why, in many ways The Big Gundown is superior but this one has a soft spot for me.

An awesome movie with two of my favorite actors. Loved seeing Van Cleef go from anti-hero to outright evil bad guy in it. Lots of great scenes (the duel with Benito Stefanelli, Gemma’s use of the lessons at the finale, and anything with Van Cleef). A must see for anyone who wants to see Van Cleef shine or a top notch western not directed by someone named Sergio.

Judging by all the extremely high offers of payment for the OOP Wild East print, I guess we must be in a minority.

However, the duel scene, staged like a joust, is brilliant.

This is sort off topic but I never brought it up before. The character Budd in Kill Bill I think was influenced by Scott Mary. The whole thing about how hes looked down on by the strippers and cleans up peoples crap. Meanwhile hes one of the deadliest assassins in the world. I know QT was influenced by this film alot when he made Kill Bill. You can even hear some of the title theme in it. 1) When The Bride pulls the eye out of the Crazy 88 as the screen goes to B&W and 2) When Elle Driver flies thru the air at The Bride in Budds trailer.

DOA is one of my favorite SWs. Great team up with Van Cleef and Gemma.

[quote=“The Swede, post:47, topic:158”]This is sort off topic but I never brought it up before. The character Budd in Kill Bill I think was influenced by Scott Mary. The whole thing about how hes looked down on by the strippers and cleans up peoples crap. Meanwhile hes one of the deadliest assassins in the world. I know QT was influenced by this film alot when he made Kill Bill. You can even hear some of the title theme in it. 1) When The Bride pulls the eye out of the Crazy 88 as the screen goes to B&W and 2) When Elle Driver flies thru the air at The Bride in Budds trailer.

DOA is one of my favorite SWs. Great team up with Van Cleef and Gemma.[/quote]

Hmmm interesting never thought about it like that but you may be on to something.

Here some personal thoughts:

I gave this film, 3 stars…not Van Cleefs best, but still good and entertaining…the best element I thought this movie had was the constant lessons that Van Cleef would spout off to the young man

This film seriously needs another proper DVD release. Wildeast should just have this one reissued. Its way too important of a film to not be available to the english speaking world.

Could be an easy beer cheque :smiley: .

I would prefer Italian audio with English subtitles… or both!

Yeah that too!

I found this stuff on the web:

http://cultcine.com/products-page/all-titles/day-of-anger-1967-ntsc-tonino-valerii-it

Anybody bought it? Is it worth?

[quote=“p.pereira, post:55, topic:158”]I found this stuff on the web:

http://cultcine.com/products-page/all-titles/day-of-anger-1967-ntsc-tonino-valerii-it

Anybody bought it? Is it worth?[/quote]

There was a discussion on it a few days ago
They tried to sell it here, but some thought it was a fair deal

Here it is (the discussion starts on page 4)

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1652.60.html

Thanks!

Just rewatched the film. Enjoyed it immensley more this time. Definetly a great. Classic! Well played out and fun.

5/5

The first half of the film is well done.
All the action set pieces keep the film going at a steady pace (particularly the quirkier ones like the duel on horseback) but once Van Cleef burns the saloon down everything sort of takes a nose dive.
Everything happens way too suddenly.
The transition that is supposed to take place in Scott is not given time to develope believably and the action scenes turn lousy (check out the night scene with Scott taking out the two baddies).

Also, the film features some of the worst acting Lee Van Cleef ever did.

3/5