Cut-Throats Nine / Condenados a vivir (Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent, 1971)

This is actually one I can say that I do not like. But, having said that, I think all Spaghetti Western fans should at least give it a viewing to make up their own minds.

Especially since a few of us do like it. :smiley:

Once again, ENNIOO’s dead on in ten words or less. ;D

Just viewed this one again as Dillinger had brought it up in a different thread referencing bleak spaghettis. I had replied that I didn’t really see it that way but figured I should probably have another look, and after doing so, I’d say Dillinger was correct… Definitely a bleak film. I think the first time I watched it was very late at night and I was generally bored with the slow pacing, and mostly all I remembered about the film was being bored. On the 2nd viewing, there was also a lot more gory violence than I remembered… I still don’t know if it earns its reputation as “possibly the most violent euro western” … it maybe has more gore than any spaghetti I can think of, but the violence level is really not that high for a spaghetti.

Since the discussion that sparked my 2nd viewing was also in relation to the bleakness of The Great Silence, I kept comparing the two… They are both “bleak” films, but CT9 seems pretty obviously hopeless from the start, the bleakness permeates throughout the film, whereas TGS is somewhat more of a normal spaghetti for most of the film. It has your main hero, a sheriff, and bad guys, and develops like a standard spaghetti until the last section of the film goes into a downward spiral… CT9 is rather detached and very negative from the outset of the film…

I’m not quite sure what I think about CT9. I definitely liked it much more this time, but still felt it moved rather slowly and I didn’t find myself caring much about what was happening

Also wonder how much the not very good transfer of the DVD adds to the bleak feeling of the film. I’d like to watch it in a completely remastered transfer, ala Koch, and see how much it changes the atmosphere

Shoot you make me want to watch the film again :smiley: . Sounds like a suitable christmas day film for me…super negative and with no hope.

Imagine the treat the family are in for… Ultra violance, nudity and complete negitivity. I bet they can’t wait to watch it after the Christmas dinner!

They will want to kill me :smiley: .

I will definitely watch it for Christmas!

It is also barely a SW to me. More of a genre crossing movie. Very few Western elements. With that being said, I do like this & yes it is very bleak!

Absolutely average work, from a talent free director.
A film which is due to its gore scenes as the most brutal Euro Western.
However, I hate it when you try with any gore or bloody scenes of the film to larger audiences. Respectively exploit the sensationalism of the people. And these scenes make the film in no way better. On the contrary, it radicalize the slow rhythm and make the film uneven.
Usually I like movies with a dark atmosphere. But here, Marchent it not creates a exciting implement of this atmosphere.

But I think Leone had reused this Outlaw family in Giù la testa. But I will not assume that this family was the inspiration for Rod Steiger’s Outlaw family. :wink:

When was Giù La Testa done? 1971?

Release Dates:

Cut Throats Nine : 24.5.1971
Giù la testa : 29.10.1971

OK, were both close to each other in time. :wink:

I think you can’t reduce the flick to the gore scenes. I’m a huge fan of C9. For me it lives from the strong atmosphere full of violence, envy, greed, despair and lack of humanity.

Exactly. I just look at the gore as the icing on the cake.

Yeah, and another trick is having really hihg expections on the violence level… you usually get dissapointed! Like with Cannibal Holocaust…

EDIT: Which is pretty damn violent.

I reduce the film not on the violence or gore scenes.
I criticize only the use of these scenes if they do not make the film better.
Shit, I hate that. As in many horror movies. Man drowns in blood. Without that there is a benefit. Only from sensationalism. If one were to leave at Cut-Throats Nine these scenes … no one would miss it. It would not make the film worse. On the contrary, it would make the film more uniform.

OK the gore parts do not make the flick any better, but they don’t bother me…

EDIT: There is already a thread for this film, I am an idiot, sorry.

I don’t know whether I should be surprised or not, in that I searched for this movie using the search engine and found no such thread. So, I figured I’ll be the one to create it. One one hand, I am surprised, because I didn’t think there was a Spaghetti Western that didn’t have it’s own thread. On the other hand, I’m not surprised, because this movie was weak sauce, straight up. I expected something really interesting, like something worthy of “Cult Classic” status, but this movie went nowhere fast. I don’t think there is anything you can really get out of this movie. The violence wasn’t even explicit! I guess that’s why this movie has no thread. But the way I see it, ALL Spaghetti Westerns should have their own threads, regardless of quality, so this is it for Cut-Throat’s Nine.

In short, I warn you, do not watch this movie, it is completely a waste of time. But what did you think? Did anybody actually enjoy this film?

There is this thread:

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1101.0.html[/url]

Thank you for that!