Cut-Throats Nine / Condenados a vivir (Joaquín Luis Romero Marchent, 1971)

They’re from different western, main menu music is from Blood at Sundown.

saw this last night and it is a mean movie, many people say " four of the apocalypse " is violent but this leaves that standing.film is darn right unpleasant at times ie the rape of the female character and the stabbings and film doesn’t really have a hero. i actually found the freezing the picture for the flashbacks rather annoying but that is only a small gripe in what is an attempt at something different in the genre.gritty and surprisingly compelling if not exactly enjoyable.

A masterpiece! Snowy mountains, violence, grimness and a destructive finale makes this a top-5 SW for me.

Condenados a vivir is more notorious than famous for a lot of mostly senseless gore shots, but even without them it’s a cold and nasty film.

Unfortunately this is a rather unimpressive movie which lacks interesting story and characters and therefore also interesting conflicts. So it plods along without catching my attention, even some surprises were only noticed, not enjoyed, until the film reaches its lame end in which the rest of a possible continuing story is thankfully blown away.

Joaquin Romero Marchent’s directing is not bad, but also not good either. So is the complete film: Nothing bad, but also nothing outstanding, except a few nice flashbacks in unusual moments and a dreamlike scene which seems to come straight out of a horror movie. (Also the music in connection with the gore and the general atmosphere reminded me more of the horror genre)

Actually there isn’t much of a SW in it nor has it a particular western feeling (even most of the costumes are not exactly western typical), so as a whole it’s more a survival drama (albeit an undramatic one) than a western.

4/10

Spot on post from Stanton (See Rev I do concur).

Completely agree it does not have a particular western feel about it. I always thought it could just as easily be a bunch of russians in Siberia, as a bunch of americans if you get my drift.

I think the locations are interesting becuae it was filmed in the Aragon instead of Almeria or the alps. I think that is wherew the pyrennes are.

At least it looked different.

But like the whole film the landscape was far from looking impressive, and again not bad either.

I think it was filmed somewhere round Andorra, that’s what Dan van Husen said in an interview. He also metioned, that the cast’s food was frozen up there…

I really like the movie as well. I don’t really care about the splatter side of it. I especially like the dark mood.

My DVD (retrofilm) contains a nice trailer of the “a dirty western”.

I’ve been in that neck of the woods a few times and it cetainly looks like the right location.

I think I’m gonna give this one a rewatchin’.

It’s known as the most violent SW of all time, is that true? ???

I guess it is. It has its share of gory scenes

Imagine this, Silence. A man’s throat is cut in the first 5 minutes. Then a man is kiled, has his corpse burnt then his leg is chopped off. A man is shot in the eye then has his leg chopped off. A man is stabbed in the guts with a machete, then while still alive a meat hook is placed in the wound in his back and he is hoisted up to hang.

Yes, I suppose it is rather…violent.

Don’t expect it to be really gory though, it’ll ruin it with the expectations.

I, like Scherps, had avoided this one as everything I’d heard suggested to me I wouldn’t like it. But actually I found it surprisingly enjoyable. I think the reason for this was that despite all the hype about how gory it is, for the most part this side of the film is minimal. The gore is only sporadic and the enduring memory for me is not the blood but the landscape, and endurance element of the film.

It does have some clear faults though. I’m never a big fan of a narative voiceover and the freeze frame device and constant flashbacks are sometimes a little clumsy. The gory stuff does seem to be wholly gratuitous too. Ii would be a better film without it. But the film does still offer some interesting stuff and I liked the way the seemingly central figures are got rid of before you expect it.

No masterpiece but certainly worth seeing.

I didn’t avoid it since I always like horror/gore stuff. The real problem to me was to find it. Now that I did, I can say that it is my Marchent’s favourite.

I like Horror too but this is nothing I’m looking for. Anyway is it worth watching as a movie?

Like the feel of total doom in the film.

I recommend it.