Criterion forum top 50 western poll

[quote=“Stanton, post:55, topic:2760”]Really? Explain.

I only entered the forum very late, and haven’t read the whole 20+ pages of the thread. It seems they started it already half a year ago and they proposed films for watching and they tried to watch as much of the proposed and discussed films as possible.[/quote]

Read the reviews thread first then go to the list.

Richard

I can’t believe no Anthony Steffen films even made the top ten.

What the hell, the dive, roll and shoot, the wooden acting and the too small hat wasn’t good enough for all you John Ford fans?

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:62, topic:2760”]I can’t believe no Anthony Steffen films even made the top ten.

What the hell, the dive, roll and shoot, the wooden acting and the too small hat wasn’t good enough for all you John Ford fans?[/quote]Where are you “millions of fans worldwide” now?

Seriously, this criterion poll seems extremely biased against Brazilian aristocrat sons of diplomat race car drivers.

Someone sent in more than 50 lists, so I’ve been told, but they were a bit suspicious so they weren’t taken into account

Wonder if SD is up to know good :smiley: .

Judging from the fact that Killer Adios didn’t make the list, I think we’re safe :wink:

Thanks for having posting the list, it’s a very interesting one. Reminds me I still have so much American westerns to watch.

Here are four other interesting Top 20 Lists (including “other mentionable movies”)

Classic Western movies
SW
Western Comedies
Native Americans westerns

This list has also some very odd entries.

Rio Grande is one of Ford’s lesser films.
Virginia City is not even the best of the 8 Flynn westerns
High Plain’s Drifter is nothing special, and it is a joke that of the 4 westerns Eastwood directed 3 are in. Must be compiled by the CE fan club.
A Man Called Horse is a good, but surely not a very remarkable film

Not to talk about all the classic westerns not named amongst these 20.

The SW list contains at least Boot Hill in the further recommendations. (So it can’t be bad at all)

In 1988 members of the British Film Institute voted for these as the 10 best:

1. High Noon
  2. The Searchers
  3. Stagecoach
  4. Shane
  5. Red River
  6. The Wild Bunch
  7. OuTW
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Rio Bravo
  8. Ride the High Country

In 1994 Steadycam, a German film mag, asked 50 people (mostly critics) about their 13 favourite westerns:

1. The Searchers (26 votes)
  2. Rio Bravo (22)
  3. Red River (21)
  4. My Darling Clementine (20)
  5. 40 Guns (16)
  6. Johnny Guitar (15)
  7. Unforgiven (15)
  8. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (13)
  9. The Naked Spur (11)
  10. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (11)
  11. The Wild Bunch (10)
  12. OuTW (10)
  13. Vera Cruz (9)
  14. High Noon (all 8 )
  15. Man of the West
  16. Ride the High Country
  17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  18. Stagecoach
  19. Winchester 73

Not many SWs were named:

GBU (6)
FoD (5)
Django Kill (4)
The Great Silence (2)
Django (2)
DYS (2)
The Mercenary (1)

[quote=“Stanton, post:72, topic:2760”]In 1994 Steadycam, a German film mag, asked 50 people (mostly critics) about their 13 favourite westerns:
(…) SWs were named:
GBU (6)
FoD (5)
Django Kill (4)
The Great Silence (2)
Django (2)
DYS (2)
The Mercenary (1)[/quote]

There’s no denying it, Django Kill/Se sei vivo spara is definitely overrated… :wink:

(1988 list) That is of course a very conservative list. Almost a list that could be compiled by anybody who has only heard of the genre but never seen a western.
It’s a list that ‘doesn’t say anything’, it’s totally anonymous. At least the Criterion and IMDB list express some line of thinking.

I’m reading the Criterion pages. An interesting read, most people are anything but western fans or connaisseurs, but they’re devoted to cinema. I guess quite a few of them are film scholars. This may lead to some intellectual mumbo jumbo, as some call it, but it’s always interesting to see how non-fans (who know anything about film-making or art in general) react to western movies.

Some nice discussions on political correctness and reactionary historical visions. Funny thing is that they think Leone was a marxist. They seem to mix him up with Corbucci, Damiani, Sollima.

Working on my list. Progressing slowly because I didn’t have much time (and will still be quite busy in the next few days)

I think it is indeed overrated, but it’s easy to see why.
It’s different, and above all it’s weird. What is different and weird, always attracts attention, and what’s more: Critics love different and weird movies (and they like to think that they’re different themselves, different from the masses that is)
There were more different and weird spaghettis (notably Matalo!), but of those Django Kill! probably was the best. It may be overrated but it’s not a bad movie, and there most certainly are a few nice touches. I love the opening in particular.

The 1994 Steadycam is not a refreshing list for me. Never seem to like many critic style lists.

Never thought Django Kill! was overated. Just a different kind of western that will not appeal to everyone.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:76, topic:2760”]The 1994 Steadycam is not a refreshing list for me. Never seem to like many critic style lists.

Never thought Django Kill! was overated. Just a different kind of western that will not appeal to everyone.[/quote]

Okay, but do you think it ranks among the very best?

If I was doing a top twenty list of Spaghetti Westerns today maybe around number 20.
If doing a top 20 list of American and Spaghetti westerns combined it would not be on the list.

Before I ever viewed the film and from what I had read in Frayling’s first book on Spaghetti westerns I expected the film to be more violent than it was.

No LAWMAN or THE HUNTING PARTY on the list so it’s ignored as far as I’m concerned :smiley:

I’m getting confused with so many lists, if it wasn’t for the heat I would a list myself but I’m too tired