Comics & Graphic Novels

[quote=“Cat Stevens, post:20, topic:2596”]I’ve really been enjoying the Palmotti/Grey run on Jonah Hex, especially the one-and-dones with Jordi Bernet on art. I drew this tonight after reading the latest issue:

[center][/center][/quote]

Very nice work.

I agree with Phil - nice work on the Hex art.

Thanks guys! But this pales embarrassingly in comparison to the great artists who’ve worked on the latest Hex run. If you haven’t read / are not reading, you should be.

After reading Whedon’s highly entertaining treatment of the X-Men, I read Alan Davis’ The Nail. I am a huge fan of Davis and this was a fun, engaging read. One of the most engrossing superhero mystery stories of this type that I have read since Brad Meltzer’s Identity Crisis, which I highly recommend.

I have been dipping into all sorts of other stuff as well, but Y: The Last Man has been particularly enjoyable.

I picked up a few collections of Human Target for a friend’s birthday present yesterday. If you’ve seen the show, then you’ve seen a really horrible adaptation of what was my favorite comic of the last decade. Human Target, as written by Peter Milligan, was an exploration of identity, especially the post-9/11 American identity, with beautiful illustration by three artists:

Edvin Biuković (who sadly died shortly after finishing the mini-series):

Javier Pulido (who did an OGN, Final Cut, that introduced the regular series, and then the first half of the series):

And Cliff Chiang (who finished up the series until it was canceled - this art is a commission from my own collection):

Another thing I don’t have time these days, I’ve an huge Heavy Metal magazines collection, and I keep my comics since I was less than ten years old, for instance I have the original numbers of the Elektra Saga (publish still by Brazilian publisher of Marvel who was also the distributer in Portugal in those days) among other rarities I kept them all, just don’t have the time to read it no more, sad

You should make time, El Topo. Aside from masturbation, reading comic books is the only hobby I have which makes me feel like a kid again.

Just don’t combine the two - that’s just weird :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Someone hasn’t read much Milo Manara…

Oh yeah - I even have some… and some of that stuff by Serpieri (Creatura/Druuna).
In fact I’ve just been checking the Priory’s library …
I could be gone some time… :wink:

You had a pretty weird childhood then :stuck_out_tongue: ;).

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:30, topic:2596”]Oh yeah - I even have some… and some of that stuff by Serpieri (Creatura/Druuna).
In fact I’ve just been checking the Priory’s library …
I could be gone some time… ;)[/quote]

Hey Rev. – Once I found a thread for your comic-in-progress, which looked amazing. Can’t find it now though. Any chance that comic is still in progress?

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s been ‘on hold’, although I’ve been tweaking the story.
I lost a bit of patience with the media - initially I was working quite big on canvas but realised I couldn’t carry on at that size so invested in 90 :o canvas boards to finish it, but I don’t enjoy these as much. I think I’ll have to persevere though. Ironically, I’ve got a meeting (pub) with a photoshop whizzkid friend tonight to discuss scanning these done so far and flattening the texture in the speech bubbles and putting in better text.

I saw your picture as well, that looks good so I see I’ve got competition - nah - howabouts we’ll start a revival between us!! ;D
Have you got further plans?

The thread with my stuff on is here btw…
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,2262.0.html

WARNING - Parental Guidance for this one…

I’ve got a story idea. I might plot it out and do some sample art this fall. But I also have a dissertation due and a baby on the way in August, so probably not!

Which means you should commit to yours even more. At least one of us should do something!

[quote=“Cat Stevens, post:34, topic:2596”]I’ve got a story idea. I might plot it out and do some sample art this fall. But I also have a dissertation due and a baby on the way in August, so probably not!

Which means you should commit to yours even more. At least one of us should do something![/quote]

Blimey - you will be busy!! And I should feel guilty having done of those commitments… but you can play the uke, and I have still to learn. :wink:
So… Bill sA - it’s up to you then! How’s yours goin’?

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:35, topic:2596”]So… Bill sA - it’s up to you then! How’s yours goin’?[/quote]Actually I finished my deviant story few weeks ago. And it looks like the shit :smiley:
It’s 92 pages long story based loosely on Django Kill with many sex scenes. Haha!
Maybe I’ll try to find someone crazy enough to publish it or I might publish myself a edition of few hundred copies or something.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:36, topic:2596”]Actually I finished my deviant story few weeks ago. And it looks like the shit :smiley:
It’s 92 pages long story based loosely on Django Kill with many sex scenes. Haha!
Maybe I’ll try to find someone crazy enough to publish it or I might publish myself a edition of few hundred copies or something.[/quote]
Well done mate - an example to us all.
Self-publishing is a way to go these days. Cheaper than ever to print stuff and t’interweb to get it moving.
I’m obviously not “deviant” but I’ll buy it! ;D

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:37, topic:2596”]Well done mate - an example to us all.
Self-publishing is a way to go these days. Cheaper than ever to print stuff and t’interweb to get it moving.
I’m obviously not “deviant” but I’ll buy it! ;D[/quote]Great, it will be in finnish but I’m planning to add english translations on the bottom of the pages.

Well done Bill; perhaps you could post a few more samples from it?

Or maybe post it on DeviantArt.com, where the url would be fitting?