Comedy westerns

(Bill san Antonio) #1

Here’s topic for all the general discussion about comedy spaghetti westerns.
What do you think about them? I know there’s lots of sw fans who can’t stand comedies. Personally I’ve started to like 'em more recently but also some of the worst films of the genre are comedies. I especially enjoy semi-comedies like Ben & Charlie for example.

What are your favorites?

(Stanton) #2

Without doubt the 4 made by E.B. Clucher. The only director who had a sense for genuine comedy. I think that all the others are extremely unfunny.

But I’m talking know about real comedies, with brawling instead of killing, SWs which are not bloody.
These SWs I would set apart from the dramatic ones.

But there also many semi-comedies (good term by the way) mixing comedy elements amongst a typical SW plot. These ones I like more than the pure comedies, but most of them are also not particularly funny.
They Call Me Hallelujah is one of these more silly films which is extremely watchable in my opinion.

All in all nearly all the directors who tried to make funny SWs were not very gifted for making comedies.
Sad but true.

(ENNIOO) #3

I have mellowed on the semi-comedies in recent times, but the all and out slapstick ones are not my taste.

(flynnparadox) #4

I’m a fan of most spaghetti westerns so I’ve liked a number of comedies but I like the semi-comedies better (Companeros, etc.)

Flynn

(Stanton) #5

I wouldn’t say that Companeros is a comedy, despite some lighter moments which clearly tend towards (badly made) comedy.

Hell, some guys even label The Mercenary as a comedy, which is an absolut bullshit.

(Lode) #6

With german dub even the most serious western becomes funny… :frowning: Good example: Preparati la bara!

(flynnparadox) #7

You’re right (although I take exception that any moment in Companeros is badly made). It’s not a comedy, it’s just that there are a number of genuinely funny moments in it.

(Silvanito) #8

Even Leone had some humorous elements in the Dollars trilogy, but mostly of the right kind.

I don’t understand how these spaghettis with a lot of crazy brawling were considered humorous, they’re just stupid and boring.

Viva La Muerte…Tua! is a genuinely funny semi-comedy SW ;D

(The Halitosis Kid) #9

Well I make it no secret that I like the Trinity movies, TCMT started me off collecting Spaghetti DVDs when I saw it on UK tv a few years ago and both TCMT and TISMN are in my SW Top 20!
My Name In Nobody is my 2nd favourite Spaghetti of all time!! although I think this film is an incredible balance of comedy and more serious scenes.
I agree there are some great comedic moments in many classic Spaghettis too, the half shaved man in AFFOD and Clint’s double take for example.
Regarding German comedy dubs of SWs there’s even an English audio version DVD of “Zwei haun auf den Putz” by Starlight Film I’m desperate to get my hands on, just to see what that’s all about.

(Søren) #10

Just saw An Animal Called Man (aka Un Animale chiamato uomo) which was actually not that bad. A decent comedy western. But yes My Name Is Nobody is a great movie and I like the Trinity-movies aswell.

Also Viva Lu Muerte… Tua! (aka Don’t Turn the Other Cheek aka Long Live Your Death) which Silvanito mentions above is just great. Franco Nero and Eli Wallach at their finest.

Also Giuliano Gemma has appeared in a couple of fine comedy westerns notably Ben and Charlie and Alive or Preferably Dead.

(Yodlaf Peterson) #11

I’ve had a tape of that for about 7-8 years but have never gotten around to it because i was told it was a complete piece of shit! I will have to dig it out and give it a watch :slight_smile:

(Søren) #12

Definitely not shit… Seen much much worse in the spaghetti western genre. Particularly many of the George Hilton-comedies I have a hard time swallowing. Do watch it, a sin to have a movie on ones shelf for so long without watching it once. Get going.

(Chris_Casey) #13

I am not much of a fan of the comedy Westerns—Italian or American—but, I do have to admit to enjoying the TRINITY films, the first Hallelujah, and MY NAME IS NOBODY.
Also, I would have to agree that LONG LIVE YOUR DEATH with Franco and Eli is very enjoyable!

(Tom B.) #14

In my opinion the comedy westerns is what killed the Spaghetti western genre.

I love the Trinity films but when they started a subgenre of Spaghetti westerns they
took away all the relevance of the hard hitting films of the genre. Even the characters
like Ringo, Sabata and Sartana were satirized to the point the genre couldn’t make a
comeback. The hard hitting films of the late 1970s were as good as any in the genre.
If Mannaja, Silver Saddle and Keoma couldn’t revitalize the genre, nothing will.

:-[

(Bluntwolf) #15

It’s a comedy-dub version of ‘Boot Hill’ !!! The English audio version is just the original English dub. Lionel Stander is just great in the English version :slight_smile: !!! There’re two more audio versions available on the disc: the West-German comedy version and the serious DDR-version (East-German)

(Silvanito) #16

Are these comedy-dub versions amusing to hear today, or are they just outdated and stupid?

(Bluntwolf) #17

Mostly outdated and stupid IMO !

(The Halitosis Kid) #18

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:15, topic:670”]It’s a comedy-dub version of ‘Boot Hill’ !!! The English audio version is just the original English dub. Lionel Stander is just great in the English version :slight_smile: !!! There’re two more audio versions available on the disc: the West-German comedy version and the serious DDR-version (East-German)[/quote]Thanks for clearing that up Bluntwolf (I half suspected as much), I’ll cross it of my DVD wants list now, I’ve already got the 3 disc Starlight Film version :wink:

(Bill san Antonio) #19

Anyone seen Oh my God, Here Comes the Passatore with George Hilton?
Is it same kind of film as Tresette films?

(The Halitosis Kid) #20

[quote=“Tom B., post:14, topic:670”]In my opinion the comedy westerns is what killed the Spaghetti western genre.

I love the Trinity films but when they started a subgenre of Spaghetti westerns they
took away all the relevance of the hard hitting films of the genre. Even the characters
like Ringo, Sabata and Sartana were satirized to the point the genre couldn’t make a
comeback. The hard hitting films of the late 1970s were as good as any in the genre.
If Mannaja, Silver Saddle and Keoma couldn’t revitalize the genre, nothing will.

:-[[/quote]
I think the Golden Age of Spaghetti Westerns started with A Fistful Of Dollars and ended with My Name Is Nobody. Of course there are exceptions, I’m sure there are some comedy SWs I haven’t seen yet that will make me cringe, and Keoma and Mannaja are classics.:slight_smile: