Charlton Heston has passed away

Heston and Peckinpah maybe had their quarrels on the set, but in 1972 Heston said:

“I had as close a relationship with Sam on that picture as I’ve aver had with any director. We were really married to each other for the whole 3 months we were down there. …
We’d go out and trink bad mexican Brandy at night and sit up talking, telling each other how terrible They were: that’s They with a capital T”

The last sentence is not one said normally by a conservative hardliner.

Together with all the other things said in above posts, it’s not easy to get a clear picture about Heston’s beliefs or misbeliefs.

But it seems he surely divides people, even over his cold dead body.

CactusCharlie-In Texas, we have to hold our fire until the intruder steps into the house. Can’t shoot 'em in the yard; only inside the home. Two things happen if an intruder is inside instead of “out on the porch:” 1) they are an easier target. and 2) you don’t go to jail if you kill 'em… -tongue in cheek- ;D

[quote=“stanton, post:41, topic:999”]Heston and Peckinpah maybe had their quarrels on the set, but in 1972 Heston said:

“I had as close a relationship with Sam on that picture as I’ve aver had with any director. We were really married to each other for the whole 3 months we were down there. …
We’d go out and trink bad mexican Brandy at night and sit up talking, telling each other how terrible They were: that’s They with a capital T”

The last sentence is not one said normally by a conservative hardliner.

Together with all the other things said in above posts, it’s not easy to get a clear picture about Heston’s beliefs or misbeliefs.

But it seems he surely divides people, even over his cold dead body.[/quote]

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Heston’s political beliefs are well known to people in the states. He never made any apologies for it or tried to hide it. If you don’t think he was a hard line conservative, you must not live in the states, because I don’t know a single person over age 40 in the U.S. that isn’t fairly well acquainted with his stance.

[quote=“CactusCharlie, post:40, topic:999”]So do i.
We have the right to defend our homes against intruders who threaten us and our families.

Doesn’t Texas have that law?[/quote]

Glad you like the idea!

Yeah, i read about that years ago, i didn’t know if that law still applied.

Thanks for the info.

CHARLTON HESTON’s Hollywood Rival KIRK DOUGLAS, 91 a well known democrat said:

“I will miss Chuck immensely” and recalled their golden Hollywood days . Nice Kirk :slight_smile:

Regarding SELF DEFENSE and RIGHT TO ARM I am 100% for Revenge/Justice/Defense
but this “right to guns” just means every punk/psycho/junkie gets a gun and instead
of throwing some punches he fires a few 100 bullets and kills 4 or 5 with ease. :’(
We have seen so many nasty/bloody examples of wild school/work/family shootings.

Guns should probably be treated the same way automobiles are. With something that dangerous, I believe you should have to demonstrate some level of proficiency and responsibility. In my state, you have to have a permit which is issued after passing a course and background check.

Regarding Douglas, he’s one of my all-time favorites. His best and favorite role was The Brave Cowboy, where he played the character Jack Burns. It’s based on Edward Abbey’s novel Lonely Are The Brave. Douglas certainly has some liberal leanings, but he’s one of those guys that won’t judge a man entirely by his politics. Not surprised one bit that he’d have nice things to say about Heston.

I very much enjoyed Heston’s work, as well.