Charles Bronson vs. Steve McQueen

Maybe not for ten years… but flicks out of that period can rarely be found on my menue as well.

Never felt the desire to.

McQueen & Bronson had totally different looks, attitude & acting style. While Bronson looked like a dude you wouldn’t want to fuck with, he never was able to have innocence as well as attitude. McQueen had both covered. I don’t think I’ve ever seen either even raose their voice in a movie just to speak of their presence on camera. Bronson was more one dimensional to me. Could you see him in a love scene? Dillinger was right, If McQueen was in a SW, then the poll would waver more in his favor.

Dead even in the poll as I post.

Bronson wasn’t one dimensional in my book, anyone who thinks that hasn’t seen “Sea wolf”.
He was however very good at playing tough guys and was therfore cast as such in almost all his roles.
With his look he would never have worked well as a romantic type and the producers new that better than anyone.
IMO Bronson was better than McQueen in the tough guy appartment and even though McQueen might be better in romantic roles that doesn’t alter anything for me.
Its better to be very good at something than to have the higher average skills.

Anyway I like them both a lot.

In some of Bronson’s Euro work he got the chance to show a range not always found in some of his later work. I am talking about films like Someone Behind the Door and Rider On The Rain.

[quote=“Dorado, post:24, topic:1884”]Bronson wasn’t one dimensional in my book, anyone who thinks that hasn’t seen “Sea wolf”.
He was however very good at playing tough guys and was therfore cast as such in almost all his roles.
With his look he would never have worked well as a romantic type and the producers new that better than anyone.
IMO Bronson was better than McQueen in the tough guy appartment and even though McQueen might be better in romantic roles that doesn’t alter anything for me.
Its better to be very good at something than to have the higher average skills.

Anyway I like them both a lot.[/quote]
I haven’t seen these other flicks so I shouldn’t really say but maybe one dimensional was a poor choice of description but McQueen was more well rounded from the movies I’ve seen. More affable. Bronson was somewhat innocent in The Mag Seven though. I like Bronson a lot though.

I think that both weren’t good actors. They were at their best when they got roles in which acting wasn’t needed, in which they could unfold their cool presence.

McQueen had this certain star charisma, but it was limited to a certain type of roles, but a type he was extremely good in. The Getaway was his best role, but Junior Bonner was his best film. He should have worked more with Peckinpah.

Bronson was no actor at all, but he had the luck to find (very late in his career) a niche for himself, and he filled this out good enough. But then, in his last roles, after his star career was over, he surprisingly did get roles in which he was noticed for acting.

Of the both McQueen had certainly a wider range of films he was in.

Surprised me there Stanton would never have guessed that you think The Getaway was his best role, but after you explaining re the cool presence I understand why.

Both would have also made great High School teachers. McQueen would never lose his cool & no one would act out in Bronson’s class. Clint also falls in this catagory. Let’s ask Rififfii, Korano & Silence (well Silence might be Junior High). Would they be on their best behavior in their classes?

Steve McQueen,i dont like Charly that much

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:29, topic:1884”]Both would have also made great High School teachers. McQueen would never lose his cool & no one would act out in Bronson’s class. Clint also falls in this catagory. Let’s ask Rififfii, Korano & Silence (well Silence might be Junior High). Would they be on their best behavior in their classes?[/quote]I would say neither would be too bad. Charlie would be a laid back teacher with a very dry sense of humor. Stevie would be a goofball teahcer.

If there was one actor I would be afraid of as a teahcer it would be…Jimmy Stewart! Sure he was a nice guy but in many films, he has a build p anger and if you screwed around too long and didn’t get out your math book, watch out!

Henry Fonda might be a scary teahcer too! Maybe if I acted out, he’d shoot me with a smile!

Burt Lancaster would be a very scary teahcer. Yelling a lot.

Robert Mitchum as a teahcer, I don’t think we’d learn anything. He’d probably just sit in the corner and tell us to do whatever the fuck we pleased while he smoked his pot!

What about Lee Van Cleef as a teacher?

He’d be cool. He seems like the kinda guy who you could really get into a nice studen teacher conversation with. And instead of getting mad at somebody, he might tease them and make him uncomfortable. A student such as myself has these intuitions.

Klaus kinski as a teacher would be possibly lethal!

And I’d love it if Claudia Cardinale was my teacher. We could make the US news if you catch my vague drift.

In your dreams kid. Like that scene from Fast Times At Ridgemont High :o

In any of our dreams! Besides, she’s a little old now.

I’d still hit that just for the fuck of it. It would make a great story here.

Unfortunately for a lot of us so are we. I think she’s just right. Ha ha.

I picked Mcqueen, though I love Bronson’s work

Favourite Mcqueen
Junior Bonner
The Sand Pebbles
The Getaway
The Cincinnati Kid
Papillon

Bronson
OUATITW
Violent City
Death Wish 1-3
The Mechanic
Death Hunt

[quote=“chuck connors brother, post:38, topic:1884”]I picked Mcqueen, though I love Bronson’s work

Favourite Mcqueen
Junior Bonner
The Sand Pebbles
The Getaway
The Cincinnati Kid
Papillon[/quote]
What happened to “The Magnificent Seven”, or “The Great Escape”, or “Bullitt”?

They’re good, don’t think they’re his best.