Challenge to White Fang / Il ritorno di Zanna Bianca (Lucio Fulci, 1974)

I thought the first Zanna Bianca was quite silly and childish at parts, but on this one here the silliness continues with greater force and the plot trying to justify the presence of some characters of the 1st title becomes ridiculous to say the least. Probably the worst Fulci I’ve seen regardless of genre. I’d be surprised if this film has any fans on this board.

Database page: Ritorno di Zanna Bianca, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database

Well, it has got a great cast!

The dog acts well.

White Fang films are weird, I think they’re too childish and sentimental for mature audience and too violent for children.

1 Like

I remember watching the first one last year. And i for one was quite impressed with results. I do agree the movie is actually too violent for kids but otherwise i felt this was an solid effort by Fulci. Some likeable characters, good acting and a few nice action set pieces. Nothing groundbreaking but there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes IMO.

I still have to watch the sequel (own the German double bill DVD) but if it’s anything like the first one then i’m sure i’ll have a good time.

Yea, a pretty weird combination.

I loke both of them but my favourite one of this type is the one with Maurizio Merli and Henry Silva in :wink:

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:7, topic:2419”]I loke both of them but my favourite one of this type is the one with Maurizio Merli and Henry Silva in ;)[/quote]you mean White Fang to the Rescue. My favorite zanna bianca film too, good cast of villains.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:8, topic:2419”]you mean White Fang to the Rescue.[/quote]I certainly do.

Wow, there is even a third sequel? And it has Merli and Silva in it? Now this i gotta see my friends! I take it there is no official DVD release though?

There is a fullscreen dvd, probably from a vhs master, so not great. You can pick it up cheap though :

[url]Amazon.com

Decided to watch a snow one keeping in pace with the current weather here in alot of places in the U.K. Much the same as the previous Franco Nero White Fang film. Less brutal scenes involving the dog which was a relief. Shame Nero did not dub himself in the english dub. Can tell a Fulci film in style alot of the time, but cannot in his two White Fang directed films. John Steiner is good as the main bad guy.

Have yet to watch any of the White Fang films… Not particularly attracted to the films, aside from Fulci & Nero’s involvement.

Yes the main reasons for me really aswell :slight_smile: .

German DVD out next month with English options 8)

Has anyone picked up this DVD yet? Obviously the original has still not surfaced on legit DVD with English options - is it necessary to watch this before seeing the sequel?

As I remember some details of the story would make more sense if you have seen the first film first.

[quote=“R-T-C Tim, post:16, topic:2419”]Has anyone picked up this DVD yet? Obviously the original has still not surfaced on legit DVD with English options - is it necessary to watch this before seeing the sequel?[/quote]Haven’t gotten around to picking it up myself yet but a friend has. He say’s the prints goos but not fantastic and he’s a fussy bastard so I reckon it will be pretty good. Probably pick it up in a month or so myself.

This is a direct sequel to Fulci’s first White Fang film. It was a long time already since I saw the first one so I didn’t remember all the characters who also appear in this one. It’s pretty much what I expected, fortunately there’s less animal fights though there’s a nasty scene where angry townspeople are chasing and hitting White Fang with sticks.

Nice one for bumping the thread Bill. I forgot all about it :wink: