Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

I just watched both the SPO Japanese version and the newly released German version. Maybe it is because I have a crappy TV but (contrary to the opinions of some others) I thought the German version looked better. The color looked better. The Extras are better (as mentioned by others) as well.

I love this movie (that’s why I have both versions)! If I had to choose between the two versions, I would take the German (It is in a really cool case too).

There’s lots I like about this movie. Michele Mercier, for one. I have never seen any of her “Angelique” films but she is gorgeous. Throughout the film there are a number of (to me) breathtaking close-ups of her. There are not too many Spaghettis that have a woman in such a central role. Even though she does not, herself, execute the revenge, she is the motivating force for Robert Hossein.
I love the gloomy mood of this film and its dark ending. It is a great exemplar of the Revenge Theme.
I love movies like this for their oddities. There is a “soup eating scene” that would appear nowhere else but in a French directed Spaghetti Western (although the scene does remind somewhat of a scene in Sam Fuller’s Forty Guns).

There's lots I like about this movie. Michele Mercier, for one. I have never seen any of her "Angelique" films but she is gorgeous. Throughout the film there are a number of (to me) breathtaking close-ups of her.

Yes I like her too, she’s beautiful and a very good actress!

I noticed that 3 of her Angelique-films have recently been released in Europe, French audio and several subtitle options.

These are said too be great romantic adventure stories set in 1700 France.

Some of the best popular cinema to emerge from France in the 60s!

Haven’t seen any Angelique-films myself either but I think I will get these! :slight_smile:

Thanks Sivanito, these (she) looks great.
I’d like to see them too but I have to decide if I want to spend $$ on these or MORE Spaghettis!
She’s in Mario Bava’s BLACK SABBATH too. I ordered that but have not received it yet.
Adios

[quote=“Silvanito, post:42, topic:403”]Yes I like her too, she’s beautiful and a very good actress!

I noticed that 3 of her Angelique-films have recently been released in Europe, French audio and several subtitle options.

These are said too be great romantic adventure stories set in 1700 France.

Some of the best popular cinema to emerge from France in the 60s!

Haven’t seen any Angelique-films myself either but I think I will get these! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I bought the first release of the ANGELIQUE movies on French DVD about five years ago. They had no subtitle options and were French Language only. If the re-releases have English subtitles, then please tell us all about it. Thanks.

Angelique box: Dvd-box
EAN: 5050582435085
Referentienummer: 1022086
Soort Drager: DVD
Genre: Speelfilm vision
Aantal discs: 5
Release datum: 26-10-2006
Minimum leeftijd: 12
Ondertiteling: Nederlands, Spaans, Zweeds, Portugees, Deens, Fins
Taal: Frans, Engels

Grote afbeelding…
Let op: plaatje kan soms afwijken van het product.
Onze prijs: € 29,99

Just watched this for the first time…wow…quite a dark film. I liked it. I don’t have a whole lot to add to what has already been written, other than to say that the widow’s revenge was a little weak. It could have been truly diabolical but perhaps she’s not made for that sort of thing.

3/5 for me.

Another great SW.

The ending came as a shock to me on first viewing which is why i adore this movie so much.

Five Stars.

My most expensive DVD (single film) so far, and I got it via e-bay, and I got it twice , for 25 and 28 € respectively (2nd one is new and sealed). Seems to be cheap compared to Amazon’s 48-50 bucks.

I got mine from Atlas Visuals.
They rate it as A/A- for quality and I can vouch that it is pretty decent. And a hell of a lot cheaper than the official options. For anyone who hasn’t got it and doesn’t want to remortgage the house I’d recommend that route.

I got it for my birthday
I guess my wife hired her nephew, an Internet freak, to buy it via Ebay
I noticed one or two minor scratches, so it clearly is second hand

It replaces a very bad DVDr with awful video quality and even more awful (French) audio

I can’t recall where i got my copy from, it was new though.

Maybe Amazon or Ebay. ???

For all you people complaining about the price of the German release at least you should be thankful that it is at least cheaper than the Danish VHS-version of the same movie:

And probably has a somewhat better picture quality :wink:

Hi, this is my first post, been watching it for quite along time, some great information on here - quick introduction - Rotsch from Austria
First I have to say that this film certainly belongs in my top5, love the dark atmosphere but one thing I never understood.
Why did they use parts of the music from Django Kill, Andrei Hossein made really a great soundtrack, why did he "borrow"
from Ivan Vandor?

[quote=“Gary Hudson, post:53, topic:403”]Hi, this is my first post, been watching it for quite along time, some great information on here - quick introduction - Rotsch from Austria
First I have to say that this film certainly belongs in my top5, love the dark atmosphere but one thing I never understood.
Why did they use parts of the music from Django Kill, Andrei Hossein made really a great soundtrack, why did he "borrow"
from Ivan Vandor? [/quote]

That’s interesting. I love this movie and have never noticed what you describe. I’ll have to check it out again.
Welcome by the way!

[quote=“Gary Hudson, post:53, topic:403”]Hi, this is my first post, been watching it for quite along time, some great information on here - quick introduction - Rotsch from Austria

That’s only the german score which uses in 5 scenes music from Django Kill, very effectively in 3 scenes (Ben’s lynching, Maria confronting the Rogers in their house, the final duel). But inconsequent in 2 other scenes, if they had used it with more consequence they should also have used it for the scene where the Rogers confront Maria in her house.

For someone like me, who was used to this score for many years, it was disappointing to learn that it wasn’t the original one. On the other hand it must be strange to hear this music for someone who is used to the original score.
Even if it’s hard to accept this, I have to admit meanwhile that Hosseins atmospheric guitar music in these scenes has also it’s merits.

Additional to this, the german distibutor had rearranged greater parts of Hosseins original score (there is music instead of silence and reverse), but this remaking/remodeling is mostly inferior compared to the original score.
Generally there is much more music in the german score, too much.

I’ll stick meanwhile of course to the original, but the great thing on the german DVD is that there are both scores on it.

(This is btw also for Romaine Fielding, I would have written this in a PM to you, but by coincidence …)

Oh, and Cemetery without Crosses is in my top 10 too, the only one which cracks this exclusive Leone/Corbucci club.

[quote=“stanton, post:55, topic:403”]That’s only the german score which uses in 5 scenes music from Django Kill, very effectively in 3 scenes (Ben’s lynching, Maria confronting the Rogers in their house, the final duel). But inconsequent in 2 other scenes, ifthey had used it with more consequence they should also have used it for the scene where the Rogers confront Maria in her house.

For someone like me, who was used to this score for many years, it was disappointing to learn that it wasn’t the original one. On the other hand it must be strange to hear this music for someone who is used to the original score.
Even if it’s hard to accept this, I have to admit that Hosseins score in these scenes has also it’s merits.

Additional to this, the german distibutor had rearranged greater parts of Hosseins original score (there is music instead of silence and reverse), but this remaking/remodeling is mostly inferior compared to the original score.
Generally there is much more music in the german score, too much.

I’ll stick meanwhile of course to the original, but the great thing on the german DVD is that there are both scores on it.

(This is btw also for Romaine Fielding, I would have written this in a PM to you, but by coincidence …)[/quote]

@ Stanton: Ha. You know, when I read this post by Gary Hudson I went back and read a PM you had sent me and I had totally forgotten that you had already mentioned this to me. Sorry about that Bud.
I came back to forum to mention in this thread that you also knew about the German score but you had already posted!
I’m going to have to listen to the German score tonight. Being used to the “original” (and liking it) I’m not sure how the Django Kill score will sound to me, particularly in the scene where Ben is lynched. I thought the almost minimalist soundtrack at that point/scene was really effective (if memory serves me correctly). I’m glad I have both the SPO & Anolis versions.

@ Phil: Is the Atlas Visuals copy widescreen? I assume it probably is, since you did not mention that it wasn’t. Others may have had a different experience but I have found that even the films that they list as A/A- are usually full screen. I’ve gotten about 60 films from them and can only think of a couple that were widescreen. By the way if you want a really nice copy of Sugar Colt, they have it. It says on their website that the version they carry is an A-/B but the version that they sent me when I ordered it was a copy of the SPO widescreen version which is really great looking (A+).

It’s much more spectacular, quite different of course, you will be surprised, but maybe also shocked.

Get the german DVD, Gary, which contains not only the old german dub, but also a reconstructed german version, so that you can compare.

Anolis has reconstructed the original score with an enormous expenditure, so that they could maintain the original german voices of the german dub. Only for 2 short moments they had to stick to the false scoring.
(There’s also italian, french and english audio on it).

Yes, it is widescreen. And decent quality too. I think Atlas usually state on their site when it is widescreen so if they don’t mention it I always assume its fullscreen. It’s a pity that so many of their titles are fullscreen but, as your list of recent purchases from them on a different thread shows, they make up for it with a great range of difficult to get titles. And their prices are very reasonable as they include worldwide shipping.