Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

I’ve got now a copy of A Taste of Violence. There are western moments in it, and you can compare it with the more serious ones of the revolution spaghettis, but it’s not necessarily a SW.

It’s a bit slow in the first half, but then it’s also building up to very intense scenes, which clearly are showing similarities to Cemetery without Crosses.

I can’t understand why Hossein is such an unknown director, these 2 films clearly show a high cult potential.

i must agree with valenciano i had very high expectations ,after finally watching it i was very dissapointed, a top 20? :-\

I think it belongs in top 20, great movie. a sad one just like great silence and almost as great.

i think it’s a good film but a little slow

Well “Cemetery Without Crosses” is in my Top 10, but I agree it is an atypical SW. The main character Manuel is almost melancholic throughout the film, this may put some people off but I found Robert Hossein’s performance gripping. The visual chemistry (they don’t talk much) between Manuel and Maria (Michele Mercier) I found quite moving. I’d really liked to have seen a prequel and witness Manuel leaving Maria (Diana on the English audio?) and find out exactly why he puts on a single black glove before killing someone.

yes, i think Hossein was great in this one. tired of killing, having nothing to live for, a man whose time has passed.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Une_corde%2C_un_Colt#DVD

german dvd announced. i hope to get more info soon. further discussion on that in the dvd section

I Couldn’t Find Any Info About This One On The Anolis Site.
They Have Some Top Notch Horrors Under Their Belt,And Are Currently Working On LADY FRANKENSTEIN.
Although Anolis Takes Their Time Releasing Titles,They Are Worth The Wait In The End.

Some more details here:

http://www.wicked-vision.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=11221

Certainly looks like the complete package.

[quote=“R-T-C Tim, post:29, topic:403”]Some more details here:

http://www.wicked-vision.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=11221

Certainly looks like the complete package.[/quote]

That Packaging Does Look Sweet!
But The Print? That’s Another story.Judging By Those Faded Screen Shots,I’d Call This A “White Wash Special”.
Looks Like The SPO Is The Only Way To Go.

yeah the picture quality seems to be the great downside… and the price

I would not say that the overall picture quality of the SPO release is so much better. I found the following comparision on a german board

http://forum.cinefacts.de/showthread.php?t=177568

And while the colors of the SPO look more pleasing to the eye, the german disc features a much sharper image and - even more important - much more information on all sides.

And that settles it for me.

Cheers, schelo

SPO looks more pleasing to my eye though even if it’s not on OAR. I also like the sepia tone on the credits more than the b/w of the German disc.

But I’m very tempted to see the interviews on the new release.

My thoughts exactly… Am waiting for the German disc to arrive in the mail :slight_smile:

I am not sure, if i can spend so much money on one Western. But the release seems so fuckin’ decent and the Disc is limited. Damn, I don’t know what to do!

Me likewise.

How about buying 2, and selling the surplus after the limited edition is out of stock and the second hand prices went into orbit, so that we can refinance the one we want by that way.

Tricky

But for the moment it is too much money to spend… :frowning:

A very good friend of mine gave me a copy of the new, limited editoin, German DVD for this fine film!
If she hadn’t given it to me, I probably never would have purchased it (due to the price).

I compared the newer disc to the SPO…and I found that there are things I like about both. But, in the end I think I prefer the new one. Honestly, though, I couldn’t tell you exactly why I like it better than the Japanese disc.
I think one of the major points in favor of the new disc are all the different language and subtitle options (as well as the better aspect ratio).

Great specail features, too!

Had the opportunity to watch the new German disc:

The DVD’s picture quality is not that good but that’s the only slightly negative thing about it I think (besides the price). I prefer the restored version (concerning sound etc.) to the old version (with ‘Se sei vivo spara’ music) 'cause I think it transfers the movie’s intended dark and tragic atmosphere better. Great lead actors, really good movie !!!

The DVD’s extras are quite interesting, especially the hidden cookies should be of special interest to movie buffs !!!

Well, I just watched this film today for the first time, and I got a little disappointed too…

Not that I don’t like introspective, slow-paced movies, I do! I had no problem with the pace of this one…

What was hard for me to swallow was the widow’s lack of perspective. She kidnaps the girl and then lets her be raped by her brothers-in-law, right? Great, I was thrilled by that!! Then what? She intends to humiliate her husband’s killers by forcing them to attend his funeral… well, yeah, big stuff… and then what? “Vengeance will never satisfy her”? No! That was enough for her revenge… WOW, BIG revenge, huh… =/

I was really impressed by how that woman was satisfied with so little…

On the other hand, I loved the soundtrack (beautiful), the acting and the poetry. Yes, this film is poetic.
Liked that.

7 out of 10 (3 stars)
:-X