Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

[quote=“stanton, post:59, topic:403”]Get the german DVD, Gary, which contains not only the old german dub, but also a reconstructed german version, so that you can compare.

Anolis has reconstructed the original score with an enormous expenditure, so that they could maintain the original german voices of the german dub. Only for 2 short moments they had to stick to the false scoring.
(There’s also italian, french and english audio on it).[/quote]

Wow, I listened to part of the German version with the Django Kill score. Quite differend and kind of freaky! In a way it was not too bad at all, but since (in other versions) Andre Hossein’s score is repeated (by different instruments and in different ways) throughout the film, the Djano kill score seems out of place.
@ Stanton: which are the two scenes (in addition the three you already described) in which the Django Kill music is played?n Thanks!

aside from the othe rmoments where they were unable to remove the music, you can still here there watch play in at least one scene, which was not intended by the director

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:61, topic:403”]Wow, I listened to part of the German version with the Django Kill score. Quite differend and kind of freaky! In a way it was not too bad at all, but since (in other versions) Andre Hossein’s score is repeated (by different instruments and in different ways) throughout the film, the Djano kill score seems out of place.
@ Stanton: which are the two scenes (in addition the three you already described) in which the Django Kill music is played?n Thanks![/quote]

Immediately after the lynching when the Rogers burn down the farm (build on “fertile ground” haha) of the brothers.
And when one of the brothers leaves the Rogers farm, while the other brother is held captive.

If this music is used in a leitmotiv manner for the central confrontations between Maria or Manuel and the Rogers family, then it’s halfway ok to use it for the burning of the farm, but it’s totally out of place for the riding scene.
But imagine the music for the scene when Maria enters her dark house, and the music starts when she lights the lamp, and out of the darkness the cameramovement reveals the lurking Rogers amigos. Incredible.

If this was the original music, and used in a more consequent way as described by me, everybody would call it brillant. Or what do you think?

[quote=“stanton, post:59, topic:403”]Get the german DVD, Gary, which contains not only the old german dub, but also a reconstructed german version, so that you can compare.

Anolis has reconstructed the original score with an enormous expenditure, so that they could maintain the original german voices of the german dub. Only for 2 short moments they had to stick to the false scoring.
(There’s also italian, french and english audio on it).[/quote]

Thanks for the information, will buy the german DVD soon, looking forward to see the film uncut.

If you aint seen this film…get it and watch it. Top 20 material easily if not top 5. Definitely one to be watched again and again over time. I don’t do long reviews…I like it…or I don’t…that’s enough. This one I strongly do. As I said watch it…you won’t be disappointed.

[quote=“stanton, post:63, topic:403”]Immediately after the lynching when the Rogers burn down the farm (build on “fertile ground” haha) of the brothers.
And when one of the brothers leaves the Rogers farm, while the other brother is held captive.

If this music is used in a leitmotiv manner for the central confrontations between Maria or Manuel and the Rogers family, then it’s halfway ok to use it for the burning of the farm, but it’s totally out of place for the riding scene.
But imagine the music for the scene when Maria enters her dark house, and the music starts when she lights the lamp, and out of the darkness the cameramovement reveals the lurking Rogers amigos. Incredible.

If this was the original music, and used in a more consequent way as described by me, everybody would call it brillant. Or what do you think?[/quote]

I think I agree. Even with my affection for the Andre Hossein score, I think the Django Kill score is very effective. It definitely works in the opening lynching scene.

I liked it although I wouldn’t put it in my top 20…easily rewatchable SW though. I’ve watched several (that I’ve bought) that I have no urge to watch again. I’d definitely watch this one again though…if even to try to see what everyone else likes so much about it.

On reading reviews of this movie, I became very intersted in it. I find that minimal dialogue is great for spaghettis. But I have not sseen this one. Where can I get a DVD/ DVD-R of this. I realise that might be hard to find since I don’t have PAL or Region 2 DVD players.

Well, it’s my top 10 if not Top 5. I find that the way Manuel act against himself in the name of old love is very interesting and shocking. You feel sorry when Manuel let brothers rape the innocent girl. It’s really dark and depressing movie, even more than “Grande Silenzio”.

Indeed, it’s the best scene in the whole movie! Of course dinner scene is also great :slight_smile:

I think my fortune took a turn for the better. I have just located several availab;e DVD-R’s of this film. YEAH!

Michele Mercier gets my vote for prettiest woman in a spaghetti western. ;D

I’d like to see this one. And Hossein made a version of Les Misérables - a big change after SW’s - I want that, too.

But thinking better, Les Mis has some SW plot points. Sympathetic outlaw, good-hearted whore, cold, cynical lawman, a bunch of cutthroats, hidden treasure, and Revolution.

Hey, we should write a Spaghetti Les Mis! ;D

[quote=“Sieglinde, post:72, topic:403”]I’d like to see this one. And Hossein made a version of Les Misérables - a big change after SW’s - I want that, too.

But thinking better, Les Mis has some SW plot points. Sympathetic outlaw, good-hearted whore, cold, cynical lawman, a bunch of cutthroats, hidden treasure, and Revolution.

Hey, we should write a Spaghetti Les Mis! ;D[/quote]

Interesting idea! I think there are quite a lot of classics that would translate well to SW’s (and have done already in some cases).

Let’s do a topic somewhere and write it :smiley: I would be fun. But I don’t know what is the right place…

Interesting idea. How do you plan to construct the thread? Or manage it? It is definetly a good idea though.

In some of my dreams THE WILD BUNCH becomes a SW
I see Franco Nero taking the place of William Holden behind the machine gun and …

Then my alarm clock starts making an awful lot of noise

Just create a topic and write the opening scene
Then name the person you want to write the second scene

etc. etc. etc.

Or several people could contribute scene for scene then, we debate which version works the best. Who should start the thread? I’m a little hesitent to do it myself sonce I start way too many already. Give someone else their turn. I think this is a very interesting idea for a thread. Hopefully, if it gets created, it will prosper.

Definitely interesting, but hard to work i’m sure! And as for myself, well i’d need a damn good brush up on the source material since i’m not that familiar with it! :-[ Also already working on four fictions at the moment doesn’t help… :smiley:

I’ll open one and we’ll see. :wink:

I think I might be able to buy this movie today. Very excited. But, it will not cost me $40+. Ha Ha Ha! :smiley: