Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

then you don’t get the iconic voices of Lee Van Cleef/ Clint Eastwood/ Eli Wallach, among others. - sounds terrible to me.

3 Likes

When in DRAH Lee Van Cleef comes out of prison and speaks in his voice to the warden: “my gun”, Im in heaven :cowboy_hat_face:. I cant imagine another language version.

3 Likes

Interesting, Do you pounce on the remote and frantically find the English track whenever Hill’s on screen?

But the english dub of DRAH is actually very good as a whole - relatively speaking, that is - so it’s not a problem. I agree that the american stars are at their most effective when the speak in their own voices, but Leone aside, i prefer my SW:s in Italian.

1 Like

They are not very iconic for me. I can live without them
I was used for decades only to the German voices, and I like them. And in Germany people were raised with dubbed films and had only rare chances to watch original versions before the DVD became a new standard for film watching.
And of course film is at first a visual medium, and if the dub is well done I have no problem with dubs.

It still can happen that I start a film in the original language, and then after a pause continue with the German dub without realising that I had watched it in a different language before. It often happens with TV series. I watch it in the original version, but then I watch another episode accidentally dubbed.

From DVD and Blu I mostly watch films in the original versions, but I never was interested to watch the Leone westerns in English. One reason for that is of course that I don’t view them as the originals. But Once upon a Time in America I watch usually in English meanwhile.

That’s a very special case. Half of the film has “funny” dub, with dialogues full of cheap jokes which were “invented” for the German version. There are even many added lines when originally nobody says anything. But the “serious” half of the film, the parts with Fonda, are very well dubbed, and yes, his German voice is here “better” than his original voice. they made even one great alteration at the end, when Fonda’s letter is read, it is only half as long, and by this reduction gets a poetic intense, while in the original it is a painful long interpretation of what we saw before and what the film is about (the film’s twilight themes “stolen” from Peckinpah).

So yes, I watch it (but not always) in 2 dubs.

Actually I would like to have the Italian versions of all Leone westerns with accurate dub subs, so that I could check if I can watch them in Italian.

Each to his own, I say. When it comes right down to it we all enjoy these films no matter how differently we might view them. they’re universal. Its like Seb said earlier:

Indeed. And to be clear, my point regarding Arrow is really that claiming that French is not original and that Italian is original is misleading. At least,I recall them saying something to that effect.

Better just to be honest and say that unfortunately they could not secure the rights to French audio (which many people like me would doubtlessly have appreciated) and then leave it at that.

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.)

I was on the review page of the arrow disk and the link to the database page does not work.
The title in the link matches the database page and I can not find what is wrong.

Fixed, thanks!

In the film’s folder next to the poster it says it is number 15 on the top 20 list, but it is currently sitting at 16.

1 Like

Cause yesterday it was # 15, and now # 16 after the new update of the list, which I made only a few a hours ago.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. You did your update quicker this year @stanton :wink: :smile:

Yep, but actually the other way round, the plan was always to do it in early January, so I was lazy the other years.
The posting of the complete list will follow the next days.

2 Likes

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

Is there any comparison of the Arrow and Plaion edition? Same picture quality?

It is the same source. They may even have confirmed it somewhere but it’s the same

2 Likes

Saw it tonight, and what a fantastic film. The minimalistic dialogue and sound make this a very intense and melancholy western. I saw it on Netflix in French as opposed to the Arrow blu ray which I also have. Kinda want to get the Plaion release for this great film.

2 Likes

Last week I watched it also on Netflix. Wanted to see it with the Dutch subtitles. It was my second view. I was a little bit disappointed. The style and cinematography is very cool. But the kidknapping plot was not very convincing I think.
To me it seemed that the timeline was not correct and also with the day and night scenes.
The ghosttown seemed very nearby to the Rogers range. So it seemed obvious she was held there.

1 Like