Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

For me, I think some of the things you have problems with is what makes the movie so brilliant. The movie, for me, is partially about things done in the heat of the moment that we later come to regret and how, in this situation, they can snowball into a quest for revenge that eventually destroys everything. I think it is only logical that Maria would have wished she had done things differently at the end after all the carnage and horror that arose from her desire for revenge. Manuel may have cared for her but at the core of things, she had hired him to do a job and that was what he was trying to complete. That, according to her, was her one desire and that is what he was attempting to fulfill. I am afraid in SWs people don’t handle situations the way we and our modern sensibilities think they should.

4 Likes

Yes, I overlook the story/personality objections/possible illogicality which I feel are of lesser importance in this special case.

There is so much flow in the exquisite execution and the melodramatic music, that I could interpret it as a serious pastisch of other SWs. I could also refer to the feeling of a comic book adventure, but not in the American style but rather more arty Italian style. I understand it was a tribute to Leone, even if it is quite different in style.

1 Like

This film took me a second viewing to properly enjoy it. I hated it on my first watch but I recently rewatched it and adored it. I’m not really sure why I didn’t enjoy it at first, but now I’m definitely a fan. Its main theme has also become one of my favourites (even though it doesn’t really fit the film’s tone).

1 Like

Same for me

2 Likes

I think it is time for me to rewatch this :slight_smile: y’all got me excited

3 Likes

love this film.not a lot said for a while, that alone had turned me on to be focused and into it in a big way.still pull this one off the shelf and watch once every other month. just love what arrow video is doing. waiting on vengeance trails now. getting tomorrow.

1 Like

Still waiting for a Blu-ray with the original French audio. Until then, I still have my excellent German DVD of this.

I still can’t believe Arrow pretended that the French wasn’t original. I understand they couldn’t secure the rights to the French audio, but they didn’t need to make that bogus claim.

1 Like

what’s “original” with spaghetti westerns anyway? :wink:

Well, when the leads are French-speaking French people speaking French during filming, and the director is French, I’d go with French.

true, but it’s not like there is a de-facto original language track becuase it was filmed without sound just like the rest of them, and the bulk of the secondary cast probably spoke little French.I do prefer English on the Leone westerns as well, though, so I am not arguing against your point, I’m just playing advocatus diaboli :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they’re speaking French and then dubbing their own voices in as French audio, then it’s French in my book. I’m assuming it’s their own voices … would need to check

Plus Hossein presumably wrote it in French

1 Like

Usually the Italian language version is the original one. Also for the Leone westerns (definitely for the Dollar trilogy). No doubt for me about that.
And for that it is not important if films were shot with or without sound. The sound for most films, which use the sound recorded on the set, is also heavily altered and/or processed.

the Arrow release is great in my opinion. Wouldn’t want to watch it in French.

I just like to hear the actual actors’ voices whenever possible, hence I only watch it in French …

Although I’m waiting for someone to tell me that another French person was voicing Michele Mercier …

You don’t wanna hear the actors’s real voices? :slightly_frowning_face:

I make an exception for Italian because they have made so many good films, but yes French would take me right out of it and ruin the experience - its a western and I expect to hear English.
I don’t see the problem as long as I enjoy the film - which I most certainly do. Dubbing does not affect my viewing in the slightest at this point, I’m completely used to it and that is what it was intended for, to reach a wider audience. Not everyone in it is French anyway.

They made all the spaghetti westerns, hence the name ;))

I’m talking about westerns in general

Usually I said, and this French Spag and some Spanish ones are exceptions for obvious reasons.

Question is if one of the English versions could be called the original version. But I think not even OuTW and Giu la testa and My Name Is Nobody do that.

Well, if the German version is well produced and accurate (which many are not), I watch them mostly in German, or Italian with subs, especially if these are accurate translations form the Italian version.

I never watched any of the Leone films in English. Except half of Nobody (the scenes with Terence Hill)