Budd Boetticher

Here’s a quote about Boetticher in Jim Kitses book Horizons West. In a way it sums up the Spaghetti universe as well. It also nicely encapsulates my worldview.

“The moral of Boetticher’s films is thus a simple one: everyone loses. Life defeats charm, innocence is blasted. The world is finally a sad and funny place, life a tough, amusing game, which can never be won but must be played. If Boetticher’s films can darken to near-tragedy, the pessimism is always held in check by an innate response to the absurdity of it all, the way in which we are forced to take up roles in a farce. It is this comic awareness in Boetticher that is behind what appears a natural classicism.” 8)

RANDOLPH SCOTT WESTERNS 1950s/1960s Directed by Boetticher were CLASSICS

RIDE LONESOME 1959 Randolph Scott Karen Steele

WESTBOUND 1959 Randolph Scott Karen Steele

COMANCHE STATION 1960 Randolph Scott Nancy Gates

DVDS WANTED by me All 3 :slight_smile:

Watched “Ride Lonesome” tonight on the Western channel. Talk about a great cast! - Randolph Scott, Karen Steele, James Coburn, Pernell Roberts, Lee Van Cleef, James Best. A classic western and one of the best.

I got ‘A time for Dying’/1969 from one of those £shops (strangely it cost a pound). I need to watch this.

Not to forget his 7 Men from Now . Randolph Scott against Lee Marvin :slight_smile:

A TIME FOR DYING 1969 AUDIE MURPHY’s LAST EVER WESTERN EXCELLENT

7 Men From Now 1957 , beautiful cast and film. I Have the DVD. :slight_smile:

Tomorrow on BBC2, 14.00 Decision at Sundown

Thanks for this tip!

This DVD also has a great commentary track by western scholar/academic Jim Kitses. It is full of interesting insights about Boetticher, his life & career.

It is shame more of his westerns are not available on DVD!

‘Ride Lonesome’ - what a film!!!

I recorded ‘Decision at Sundown’, but have not got 'round to watching it yet… If it’s half as good as ‘Ride Lonesome’ I’ll be happy.

Ahhh…Budd Boetticher!! My favorite director of American Westerns!!

I will be honest with you, Ming, I think DECISION AT SUNDOWN is his weakest effort as far as the films he did with Randolph Scott.
I still like it, but it is not up to the standards of RIDE LONESOME, BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE, THE TALL T, 7 MEN FROM NOW, or COMANCHE STATION.

If any of you ever get the chance to see the full-length documentary about Boetticher entitled: BUDD BOETTICHER: A MAN CAN DO THAT—you should definitely watch it! GREAT stuff!!
There are highlights from this documentary on the 7 MEN FROM NOW disc.
And, yes, this is the documentary that features Clint Eastwood and Quentin Tarantino sitting together and discussing the effect Boetticher’s films had on them as viewers and filmmakers.
Check it out, if you can!
I snagged a copy via a broadcast on TCM and I believe it has also aired on IFC (not positive, though).

VIVA BUDD BOETTICHER!!!

PS= @ Romaine…

The quote from HORIZON’S WEST is excellent and is always worth repeating!

“The moral of Boetticher’s films is thus a simple one: everyone loses. Life defeats charm, innocence is blasted. The world is finally a sad and funny place, life a tough, amusing game, which can never be won but must be played. If Boetticher’s films can darken to near-tragedy, the pessimism is always held in check by an innate response to the absurdity of it all, the way in which we are forced to take up roles in a farce. It is this comic awareness in Boetticher that is behind what appears a natural classicism.”

Nice quote indeed. Sums up Boetticher’s work pretty well.

What do you think about Boetticher’s westerns besides the Ranown cycle?

7 Men from now was his 6th western and Westbound is another one which isn’t part of the cycle, even if it also stars R. Scott.

[quote=“stanton, post:13, topic:872”]What do you think about Boetticher’s westerns besides the Ranown cycle?

7 Men from now was his 6th western and Westbound is another one which isn’t part of the cycle, even if it also stars R. Scott.[/quote]

Good question, stanton!

For the most part, the Westerns Boetticher did before the Ranown cycle are…in my opinion…fairly average to good. None of them are as great as the Ranown films. On some level or another, I enjoy THE CIMARRON KID, THE MAN FROM THE ALAMO, and even SEMINOLE. I am not much of a fan of HORIZONS WEST.
I think with most of these films, Boetticher was…to some degree…at the mercy of the producers and studios. With the Ranown films, I think he was able to move more freely.

WESTBOUND is a curious film as it was made virtually at the same time as the so-called Ranown cycle; but, as you say, isn’t a part of them. I like it very much, but it surprisingly has a tone that is more like previous films that both Boetticher and Scott did seperately–rather than the Ranown projects.

I really liked Seven Men From Now. Excellent film.

I saw a funny quote from Budd in a book I read recently. I don’t have it with me but I’m sure I got the part I’m quoting right. In The Rough Guide To Westerns (by Paul Simpson I think- great book by the way) is this from Boetticher: his success with the Ranown films allowed him to “cram Randoph Scott up John Wayne’s ass”.
Heehee. Not a pretty picture, not pretty at all. ;D
It takes on a different level of meaning when you consider that Scott was thought to be gay! :wink:

“cram Randoph Scott up John Wayne’s ass”

[/quote]Im curious to know the reason behind this statement. wayne produced seven men from now and suggested scott and boetticher for the film.if you still have the book please elaborate.

7 MEN FROM NOW and COMANCHE STATION are both great films with strong, surprisingly adult themes and situations for the time they were produced. Randolph Scott is so believable in these and exudes such a sense of quiet danger. Boetticher also had a great grasp of subtlety in his westerns.

[quote=“jonah hex, post:17, topic:872”]“cram Randoph Scott up John Wayne’s ass”

Im curious to know the reason behind this statement. wayne produced seven men from now and suggested scott and boetticher for the film.if you still have the book please elaborate.[/quote]

I just noticed your question Mr. Hex. Off the top, I don’t know. I do have the book but just not at hand at the momemt. I will get back to you shortly though. Budd B. was an iconoclast at the very least. And Wayne was Mr. Hollywood. I’ll see what the book offers for context.

Saterday May 31, 17h45 (16h45 for those with the clock on the left) BBC:

7 MEN FROM NOW

Have fun, guys!