Budd Boetticher

[quote=“jonah hex, post:17, topic:872”]“cram Randoph Scott up John Wayne’s ass”

Im curious to know the reason behind this statement. wayne produced seven men from now and suggested scott and boetticher for the film.if you still have the book please elaborate.[/quote]
The sentence that immediately follows the quote in question says: “Presumabley, the greatest B-movie director in Hollywood history had never forgiven the Duke for calling him “Narse”- short for Narcissus”.
Kind of ironic considering there is more than an element of truth to it. Boetticher certainly did have a large ego.

John Wayne was instrumental in getting Budd Boetticher’s directing career into a higher gear–though, personally, I think it was an inadvertent move oh his part. Wayne financed THE BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY as well as SEVEN MEN FROM NOW; but, it has always struck me as curious that Wayne would never appear in any of Budd’s films. He always found an excuse to not be in them.
One old gentleman, who shall remain nameless, that I spoke with at the Golden Boot Awards a few years ago told me that Wayne and Boetticher were almost friends at one point, but that they ended up being semi-antagonistic.
This same person told me that Wayne thought SEVEN MEN FROM NOW would be a complete bomb and that he wanted to use the film as a “tax write off” project so he suggested Randolph Scott for the role (Scott’s career was in severe decline at this time). Wayne figured Scott would be the nail in the coffin for the film, but as it turns out he was ideal!

I think Wayne admired Boetticher to a certain extent, but I also think he never forgave him for making him look foolish at the Bull ring in Mexico during the pre-production for BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY. Long story short, Wayne ended up running and hiding from a bull…which didn’t fit well with his tough man personae. :wink:
This little tidbit is discussed in the excellent documentary, BUDD BOETTICHER: A MAN CAN DO THAT—which is highly recommended viewing, by the way.

Hey Chris, where did you see this documentary? I’ve not heard of it (not that that means anything). I don’t have the DVD with me but I seem to recall that there is an extra on Seven Men that is a documentary but I don’t think it has the same title as the one you site.

My copy of the documentary came from a broadcast on TCM. The documentary on the SEVEN MEN FROM NOW disc is experted from it, as a matter of fact.

One of the best documentaries on a filmmaker I have ever seen!

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:24, topic:872”]My copy of the documentary came from a broadcast on TCM. The documentary on the SEVEN MEN FROM NOW disc is experted from it, as a matter of fact.

One of the best documentaries on a filmmaker I have ever seen![/quote]

Ah, excellent! I know I watched that documentary on Seven Men From Now when it was released. I’ll have to go back and check it out again. Thanks
Did you listen to the commentary by Kitses on Seven Men From Now? I would be curious to know what you think. I thought it was uncommonly good commentary but I do not have your knowledge of Boetticher.

Watched [b][b]SEVEN MEN FROM NOW yesterday (BBC recording)

I had never seen it before (the only Scott-Boetticher I think) and rank it immediately among the very best Boetticher movies, along with Comanche Station

Scott is really marvellous in this one, you can even forget that he is a little old to court Gail Russell, who could be his daughter
I think Scott was a limited actor, but some directors used him to perfection
He’s perfect in Ride the High Country, and he’s perfect here

Great film.

Not only Scott is marvellous in 7 Men from now, also Lee Marvin. :wink:
Randolph Scott would have been perfect for some SW.

Randy in a Spagy? Hmmmm … could it work?

This is something I have problems to imagine …

Ya-freakin’-hooo!

'Bout time:

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:29, topic:872”]Ya-freakin’-hooo!

'Bout time:

Couldn’t agree more. This is way overdue.

Would have been perfect if 7 Men from Now had also been part of the package.

True, but at least 7 Men From Now already has a decent DVD release. These other titles have been keenly awaited for a long time.

Unfortunately I also have 7 Men from Now already. Such a nice release with good quality and some specials. The Movie I expected most in the box is Comanche Station. :slight_smile:

My favourite Boetticher is The Tall T.

What I don’t like so much in his films is the often very old fashioned dialogue (in the Burt Kennedy written films), especially when they talk about women.

Decision at Sundown is the underrated one of the 6 Ranown films.

Hey, sorry if others have posted about this elsewhere.

Has anybody besides me been watching the newly released Budd Boetticher Ranown films?

They just look so great.

And as Chris Casey/others have pointed out, the documentary Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That (which is an extra in the set) is outstanding.

The discs in this set come with interesting commentary and introductions. They really did this right.
Budd gets some love.

I wish The Bullfighter & the Lady was available (and Arruza!)

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:35, topic:872”]Hey, sorry if others have posted about this elsewhere.

Has anybody besides me been watching the newly released Budd Boetticher Ranown films?

They just look so great.

And as Chris Casey/others have pointed out, the documentary Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That (which is an extra in the set) is outstanding.

The discs in this set come with interesting commentary and introductions. They really did this right.
Budd gets some love.

I wish The Bullfighter & the Lady was available (and Arruza!)[/quote]

It’s on my wish list but unfortunately due to my changing financial status and the truly horrible pound/dollar exchange rate means this one will have to wait. Looks great though. Will definitely be getting it sooner or later.

I’m sure there will be an european release of this box too, hopefully in the near future.

7 Men from Now also needed some time before it was released in Germany.

Just saw on amazon.de that there will be a release of the Tall T in January: :slight_smile:

[url]Amazon.de

I wished they would release the whole Box.

Tomorrow, January 31, BBC 2, 14.00 (15.00 east of the Isles):

DECISION AT SUNDOWN

I’m sure Randolph Scott and Barbara Steele will put their strongest points forward