British Comedy

Recently, I viewed the film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. A britsh crime comedy and hilarious as hell. I’m sure Paco Roman and myself can’t be the only ones who like this comedy. I also like the Wright, Pegg, Frost films, and ofcourse, Monty Python. What do you guys think of british comedy. I’m watching Snatch right know and it is fuckin’ hilarious. Brad Pitt especially.

Strangely, being English myself, i don’t think it’s that great. British comedy films fall into two main categories …the black comedy gangster film and then the romantic films full of “eccentric” characters. The tv comedies aren’t much better. Some of the Monty Python stuff is very funny but i would think the mundane segments far outweigh the inspired ones. Then there’s the 80’s stuff…so pc and right on it makes you want to kick the tv screen in. And as for most of the sitcoms of the last 10 years… It’s not good. A couple of the live comedians are good…Bill Bailey for example…but most of that stuff does nothing for me.

Have you guys seen the TV show Black Books?
I think I might like it but I have not seen it. I really like The Office.
Being a bitter. sarcastic, misanthropic, bibliophile myself I thought I might like it.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:3, topic:1397”]Have you guys seen the TV show Black Books?
I think I might like it but I have not seen it. I really like The Office.
Being a bitter. sarcastic, misanthropic, bibliophile myself I thought I might like it.[/quote]

You probably would. Actually Bill Bailey’s in that one. Not keen on The Office myself…mainly because i find Ricky Gervais annoying. Actually if i’m honest i’m not much for comedy stuff overall.

Ricky Gervais IS annoying! I like comedy pretty much. But not in my Pasta !! :slight_smile:

LOL…you know, i was always the same on that score…but for some insane reason i’ve begun to soften. I found Man Called Invincible rather amusing, but that could just be because i was drunk when i saw it I guess…

Let me know what you drank and how much. I’ll try that. Although I find being drunk to be a good strategy generally anyway. :wink:
I’ve had Man Called Invincible for a couple of years now and have not been able to get drunk enough yet to get through it.
And I do love George Hilton.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:7, topic:1397”]Let me know what you drank and how much. I’ll try that. Although I find being drunk to be a good strategy generally anyway. :wink:
I’ve had Man Called Invincible for a couple of years now and have not been able to get drunk enough yet to get through it.
And I do love George Hilton.[/quote]

Southern Comfort (of course) and about 2 thirds of one of the big bottles. I don’t know…it was just that it seemed a bit “carry on-ish” to me, that probably helped.

Sparky and I have just returned from a boys night out at the pub (in the choir-mistress’s absence) and we’ve decide to carry-on abit ourselves. Sparky’s far too squiffy for a full-on sw so we might do Carry On Cowboy and cuddle up in front of a roaring curry for an hour or so (sparky’ll have a jumbone or some chapatti - he’s not one for spicy food) … We find that stuff carry-on stuff funny for sure - not so much any of the other stuff mentioned tho’.

I suppose i should have mentioned Carry On films in the first post i made in this thread. It’s funny…they’re cheap and not greatly acted but after all these years and having seen them more times than i care to remember they still always raise a snigger…especially Carry On Screaming. Well, enjoy the curries! My kid prefers a pretty hot beef curry, not that it does much for her guts later on… :-X

As you can see - we thought about ‘Screamin’ but he’s definate about ‘Cowboy’ - Carry-on-Curry-an’-Cowboy for us - we’ll worry about the guts later!

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Ohhh…he’s so cute! We always had dogs when i was growing up but my daughter is terrified of them…even little ones…

I like Mr. Bean and Keeping up appearances. Not really into any of the other stuff.

I forgot about all that Bridget Jones shit. And that 4 weddings…shit looked stupid too. But The ones I’ve mentioned are great. Especially Snatch.

Christ…i sat thru about 15 mins of Bridget jones at a friend’s house. I ended up leaving before i was tempted to trash their tv…

HAHAHAHAHA ;D Well, I sat through most of it with me mum. Don’t know why I added the cockney to this but oh well. Maybe I’m just trying to stay with the topic of the post.

LOL…i dunno. I just really hate these girly films. So what is it with the cockney thing then? Is one of your parents English?

Well, as you probably know, us over here in the States are kindof an amalgamtion of Eupoeans. I’m do have English ancestry and my mom calls her mom “mum”.

It’s kinda funny…you’re American with English ancestry…i’m English but the ancestors are French…

I’ve got French too. And a little bit of Spanish Royalty. No joke. I guess I can’t brag. I’m American and I don’t really take that as a good thing at the moment. Everybody hates us.