Bringing back "Spaghetti Western of the month"

In the earlier days of the SWDb we had specials, focus films and a few other things, you can see an archive here:
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Focus_Film_Archive

I want to bring this back in slightly altered form: a spaghetti western of the month.

How:

• Collecting some suggestions here to schedule and plan out the rest of the year
  • the film gets a spot on the Main Page (maybe instead of the trailer, or in another way) and possibly as a small banner somewhere
  • it gets mentioned in the monthly recap
  • It will get a big announcement and profile on the social media channels to introduce people to it

Why:

• the SWDb has grown, and so has its audiences of newcomers, so introducing lesser known films is still a valuable investment for the SWDb to make these classics more widely known
  • we need to rally around some titles each month to concentrate our focus (speaking for us editors at least) in terms of fixing up pages, contributing reviews, collecting pictures, fixing up links and so forth
  • it is fun

So without further ado, please post some suggestions for films that should be film of the month, with arguments if you can, I will condense them into a shortlist then.

I will start: 3 Bullets for Ringo (available on DVD, we have some reviews, not a bad movie)

3 Likes

Kill The Wicked! (or Kill The Wickeds) by Tanio Boccia.

Original entertaining story, good acting without comedy, rather unique mood setting minimalistic instrumental music by Lavagnino (available on CD for SW music lovers), an especially interesting good looking tough female character played by Maria Silva.

Wild East has released a DVD several years ago.

A review : Kill the Wickeds Review - The Spaghetti Western Database

2 Likes

I second Runner’s nomination of Il Dio Non Paga il Sabato (God Doesn’t Pay on the Sabbath/Kill the Wicked!)!

Definitely fits the category of Minor Classic within the genre. A bit of a slow burner, but the climatic battle toward the end makes it all worth it. The cast is very good, and the atmosphere adds to the feel.

1 Like

With Sebastian reviving the SW of the Month, I figured a proper thread might be in order. So far Kill the Wickeds! has been named SW of June and 3 Bullets for Ringo the SW of July.

Not sure how long we should wait to start nominations for August, but I’d like to nominate Black Jack, an SW that’s slowly getting the love it deserves thanks to the Colosseo Films Blu Ray and DVD

3 Likes

How do the nominations work? Do you just pick on you like?
If so, I nominate “Hate is my God”, which is a criminally underseen little gem that more fans need to be aware of

3 Likes

How about we do it like this: we take 4 nominations and whichever film gets the most votes by the end of the month wins. So far we have Black Jack and Hate is My God.

2 Likes

I nominate, “20.000 Dollari Sporchi Di Sangue,” with Brett Halsey! This one definitely needs more attention, I think. Could use a proper review too.

2 Likes

That’s 3, one more to go, whoever decides the fourth one, give it careful thought.

1 Like

I nominate Django, Prepare A Coffin which I interpret as a Django precursor and with Terence Hill as a good “replacement” for Franco Nero.
Nice story also featuring Horst Frank and George Eastman, with twists and no comedy.

5 Likes

I’ll also put in a vote for Black Jack. I’m a sucker for Robert Woods and I think it’s easily his best SW. Watching him hobble around with his crutch and manically laughing as he gets his revenge is great.

3 Likes

there already was one. merged

1 Like

I Nominate “Quanto Costa Morire” (AKA Taste of Death)

3 Likes

That’s #4, and we have our nominees. Now, until July 31 everyone can cast their votes, and we’ll start the process again August 2nd. Good luck to our nominees.

Black Jack, Hate is My God, $200,000 for a Kidnapping, and Django, Prepare a Coffin.

1 Like

A fine nominee Joe, but Runner ended the nominee suggestions with Django Prepare a Coffin. You can always nominate the film again in August.

1 Like

If I was a politician I would suggest you vote for my nominee this time, and as you may see I could vote for your (excellent) choise next month :wink:

1 Like

Deal :handshake:

1 Like

wow lotsa backgroom dealing going on here :))

But the main point is that we do something with the film of the month. In the SWDb old days we picked a focus film for (among other things) the reason to focus on the film and fix up its page, gather links, pictures, etc…
In this case I been a bit swamped, we definitely wanna do some social media posts around our film of the month to draw attention to it. Help out checking the film page if the synopsis is right, if we could add more posts, soundtrack info, and so on

Censorship info also, because as far as I know there’s no uncut release of 3 Bullets for Ringo.

yes good point! we need to keep adding trivia, facts, figures, links, version information, etc.

Question

How do we vote?

1 Like