Boot Hill / La collina degli stivali (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1969)

I finally saw this controversial title and liked it quite a bit, despise the fact I saw an 86 minutes cut print (not the comedy version though, and it was widescreen and pretty good quality). I totally understand those who didnā€™t like it since itā€™s quite a weird movie, but very italian at that. The blunt mix between serious parts and humorous ones can be seen in italian cinema of almost any genre. Several horror movies and gialli have some sudden humor scenes that might feel out of place, but I love them because of that. I donā€™t know if itā€™s rooted in some literary or theatre tradition but you can see traces of that in many italian films, even comedies that all of a sudden show you a very serious or dramatic scene.
I also liked the soundtrack. Sure, it wasnā€™t as powerful as the best SW ones and I donā€™t think I would listen to it as regular music, but it fits the movieā€™s strange imagery very well. I think the direction was great and the acting (and English dubbing) was surprisingly good for a SW. Even the smaller roles were very well played. I even liked Victor Buono. Sure, he wasnā€™t as menacing as other villains, but thatā€™s not what the character was like. He was just a business man who was very brave hiding behind his goons but a coward when faced directly. We also must consider he didnā€™t have that much screen time to fully develop something more complex. I only wished Woody Strodeā€™s character was more in the movie (maybe he is in the 100 minutes version)

thatĀ“s right approach, cochino :smiley:
for me, the more i watch the movie the better it is

Boot Hill (1969/Colizzi)

Boot Hill (1969) is directed by Giuseppe Colizzi and stars Terrence Hill, Bud Spencer, Woody Strode and George Eastman.

The screenplay by Collizzi concerns a circus travelling the West who pick Cat Stevens (Hil), who has been injured by a mining company who are after his claim. When the companyā€™s henchmen kill a circus acrobat, former gunfighter Tomas (Strode) teams up with Stevens to avenge the manā€™s death.

This is a very underrated Spaghetti Western, brilliantly photographed (by Marcello Masciocchi) and edited (by Tatiana Casini Morigi) with an unusual script, handled well and shot through with weird moments of humour and very well handled by the director, whose third film with the duo Hill and Spencer, after God Forgives, I Donā€™t (1967) and Aces High (1968) this was. Although there are connections in this film with the previous two, it is sufficiently divorced from them that you can watch this and not the previous entries in the trilogy.

From the great opening scene to the final gun battle, this is one Spaghetti Western you canā€™t miss.

This film keeps surprising me (without even watching it)

[quote=ā€œJohn Welles, post:163, topic:47ā€]

Boot Hill (1969/Colizzi)

Boot Hill (1969) is directed by Giuseppe Colizzi and stars Terrence Hill, Bud Spencer, Woody Strode and George Eastman.

The screenplay by Collizzi concerns a circus travelling the West who pick Cat Stevens (Hil), who has been injured by a mining company who are after his claim. When the companyā€™s henchmen kill a circus acrobat, former gunfighter Tomas (Strode) teams up with Stevens to avenge the manā€™s death.

This is a very underrated Spaghetti Western, brilliantly photographed (by Marcello Masciocchi) and edited (by Tatiana Casini Morigi) with an unusual script, handled well and shot through with weird moments of humour and very well handled by the director, whose third film with the duo Hill and Spencer, after God Forgives, I Donā€™t (1967) and Aces High (1968) this was. Although there are connections in this film with the previous two, it is sufficiently divorced from them that you can watch this and not the previous entries in the trilogy.

From the great opening scene to the final gun battle, this is one Spaghetti Western you canā€™t miss.[/quote]

Weak Spagh! One of Terence and Budā€™s worst!

[quote=ā€œJohn Welles, post:163, topic:47ā€]

Boot Hill (1969/Colizzi)

From the great opening scene to the final gun battle, this is one Spaghetti Western you canā€™t miss.[/quote]

Fine. Top 20 ?

How do you compare it to Colliziā€™s other 2 SWs?

Philistine!

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:166, topic:47ā€]Fine. Top 20 ?

How do you compare it to Colliziā€™s other 2 SWs?[/quote]
Yes, it is in my Top 20 (No. 13 actually!).

I have yet to see the previos two Colizzi - Hill - Spencer Spaghetti Westerns :'(.

Actually, theyā€™re a lot better ::slight_smile:

Well, you would say that!

I liked this one better than Ace High but I havenā€™t seen God Forgives, I Donā€™t which pretty much everybody say itā€™s the best from the trilogy. I donā€™t really get all the hate for this movie, I think itā€™s unique and has a good sense of humor without being stupid or ridiculous like latter SW comedies. I also find the direction very good, with some great visuals and the soundtrack is certainly unique. Maybe people just donā€™t like midgets.

Actually not. :wink:

Boot Hill was for me always the best of the 3. The most fascinating.

Midgets always have my support :smiley: .

Prefer Ace High to Boots Hill. Not got round to viewing God Forgives, I Donā€™t yet.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:166, topic:47ā€]Fine. Top 20 ?

How do you compare it to Colliziā€™s other 2 SWs?[/quote]

Stanton to be honest with you, iā€™ve only seen Boots Hill once, and that was enough for me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As for the other 2?

1.God forgivesā€¦ I Donā€™t 2 .Ace High, much better then Boots Hill >:(

[quote=ā€œJohn Welles, post:163, topic:47ā€]Boot Hill (1969/Colizzi)

thatĀ“s right, John, i completely agree :wink:

for me, itĀ“s something like this : 1. Ace High
2. Boots Hill
3. God Forgives
and all of them are in my TOP 20, great movies

And so would I.

This qualifies as the big shock of the day for me. You really havenā€™t seen God Forgives Ennioo? How has that happened? More to the point, sort it out immediately. It is by far the best of the three in my opinion.

1 Like

Well what can I say Phil :smiley: .

Always seem to be viewing a better version of something etcā€¦sure you know how it is :wink: , but will make an effort. Try to keep some ones I know that I will really like for a treat amongst the not so good ones :slight_smile: .

Iā€™m certain that Iā€™ve chimed in on this thread before, if so, Iā€™ll reiterate my feelings.

GOD FORGIVESā€¦ is the best of the three. Classic in my opinion. The second entry is overlong, much too ambitious but enjoyable.
BOOT HILL has great visuals (the best of the trilogy to my thinking) but is awful overall.
The opening 20 minutes are worth watching but once Hill recovers from his wounds you can shut the film off.

[quote=ā€œYourPallbearer, post:178, topic:47ā€]Iā€™m certain that Iā€™ve chimed in on this thread before, if so, Iā€™ll reiterate my feelings.

BOOT HILL has great visuals (the best of the trilogy to my thinking) but is awful overall.
The opening 20 minutes are worth watching but once Hill recovers from his wounds you can shut the film off.[/quote]

hm, to take this advice, i would never seen one of my favorites :ā€™(

[quote=ā€œYourPallbearer, post:178, topic:47ā€]BOOT HILL has great visuals (the best of the trilogy to my thinking) but is awful overall.
The opening 20 minutes are worth watching but once Hill recovers from his wounds you can shut the film off.[/quote]

my advice: donĀ“t shut the film off after 20 minutes ( but after 25 - no, just kidding, no shuttinĀ“off )