Boot Hill / La collina degli stivali (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1969)

[quote=ā€œmike siegel, post:136, topic:47ā€]As for PIU FORTE:
Another fine mess. The Italian/US version is much to short (some 90 min.) but includes about 8 min. not in the German version (101 min.) - there fore the German version has 18 min. NOT included in the It/US version!
A nightmare.

We have a fantastic looking ā€˜homemadeā€™ cut made of both versions running 109 min. Just great. Last year I was preparing to do a special edition for a German label (extended cut with engl. subs + extras). Unfortunately the label went broke :frowning:
Maybe some day.[/quote]

Fingers crossed!

Screenshots of the French SNC / M6 DVD of this movie.
The DVD is remastered in HD. Superb picture quality. Super Clear.
And certainly by far the best release of this movie in the world.

On the DVD there are two versions:

• The French version with 92 minutes and with French and Italian audio (and French subtitles)
  • The uncut international Version with 96 minutes, with Italian audio and French subtitles.

Both versions have excellent picture quality.

Amigos, this DVD is a must-have version for each SW-collection.
Make a look to the screenshots. Fantastic.
A big compliment to SNC / M6. A fantastic job !!!

Looks great, yes, but I fear there are many forum members who neither speak French nor Italian

And then there are some problems with the movie itself ā€¦ (donā€™t, I repeat, donā€™t tell Stanton!)

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:143, topic:47ā€]Looks great, yes, but I fear there are many forum members who neither speak French nor Italian[/quote]yep. Any dvd, no matter how good quality, is not a must-have for me unless thereā€™s english options.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:143, topic:47ā€]Looks great, yes, but I fear there are many forum members who neither speak French nor Italian

And then there are some problems with the movie itself ā€¦ (donā€™t, I repeat, donā€™t tell Stanton!)[/quote]

No problem, I havenā€™t read this

Ok, I understand French (not all but most)
But I also have discs with only Italian audio. And I do not understand Italian.

Sorry, but I find a good DVD of SNC / M6, Seven7, Medusa and Koch Media is better, as the average DVDā€™s of Wild East, X-Rated ā€¦

And a spaghetti Western is now even a film from Italy. And I am sorry that this is a hype out there about bad companies and the good releases are rarely mentioned.

And the best labels are now Koch Media (Germany), Wild Side (France), SNC / M6 (France), Medusa (Italy ), SPO (Japan). And most do not have English audio.

This is not a critique of you, guys. And I am also happy to have any DVD with English audio. And I also prefer DVD releases, where I understand the language.
But I will try to mention to the other big companies that make a great job, and which will unfortunately little attention.

And just this film was never released in good quality. Itā€™s a bad German DVD, a poor Italian DVD, a bad DVD of Wild East. But unfortunately no one mentioned here the best DVD. And thatā€™s the DVD of SNC / M6. And I wanted to prove with the screenshots.

And this spaghetti Western series of SNC / M6 has a wonderful quality. But this DVDā€™s are never mentioned. And thatā€™s a pity. :cry:

There is really an amazing contrast between the great picture quality of the DVD and the awful looking cover art! ;D

For me, the uncut status is the most important thing in a DVD release. Then itā€™s the presence of Italian audio, after that a good picture quality and finally, either French or English subtitles.

The German DVd is far from bad. It is maybe not the best around, but Iā€™m more than happy with it. Unless a better uncut version sees the light of the day.

And this will maybe happen next April:

Kinowelt has announced another German DVD of it, and I hope they will also release the uncut version. Otherwise there isnā€™t much sense in releasing the approximately 134. German DVD of Boot Hill.

Circus time is here again

[quote=ā€œThe Stranger, post:146, topic:47ā€]Sorry, but I find a good DVD of SNC / M6, Seven7, Medusa and Koch Media is better, as the average DVDā€™s of Wild East, X-Rated ā€¦

And this spaghetti Western series of SNC / M6 has a wonderful quality. But this DVDā€™s are never mentioned. And thatā€™s a pity. :ā€™([/quote]

I partially agree with you.

I have Wild Side DVDs of ā€œOā€™Cangaceiroā€ and ā€œSonny & Jedā€; an SNC DVD of ā€œAnd God Said to Cainā€; a Seven-7 DVD of ā€œFace to Faceā€.

They all are of exceedingly good quality. However, ā€œFace to Faceā€ has no French subtitles when Italian audio is selected, and ā€œSonny & Jedā€ is sorely lacking an English audio option (which, unlike the others, it really needs).

Happily ā€œSonny & Jedā€ is still good in Italian as at least we get to hear Milianā€™s real voice (he dubbed himself in English and Italian), and ā€œFace to Faceā€ is easily my least favorite film out of the four so I donā€™t mind all that much.

It needs it? The English dub was good, but the Italian was better, in my opinion.

It is nice to hear the English audio that the three main characters (Milian, George and Savalas) spoke on set. I am assuming they did their own dubbing, but perhaps I am wrong here ???.

However, I do agree with you that the Italian audio is also really good. I guess I just would have liked the option of both. The main thing for me is to hear Milianā€™s own voice and we get that with either version :).

Oh, they spoke English on set? Thatā€¦ makes a lot sense, haha! They should have included it then. Personally, Iā€™m always impressed by the quality of the Italians dubs, even when itā€™s not the actors doing their own voice, it almost always sound really freaking good. Generally, I prefer Italian over English, mostly because the bit players and supporting actors are often poorly dubbed in English.

Very true - especially as regards the supporting cast. As a general rule, Italian is the way to go, but some of the genreā€™s finest examples do provide some noteworthy exceptions.

Slowly this movie is starting to get the praise it deserves. And you 'haters out thereā€¦you know it deep inside this is a little masterpiece 8)

[me=defocus]crawls back in his cave[/me]

Itā€™s pretty amazing to me how quickly the SW ā€œgenreā€ went from serious to slapstick. Itā€™s also a damn shame. Iā€™m one of the people who quite liked Ace High, maybe even more than God Forgives, so it was especially painful for me to sit through this. It starts out with promise, but quickly devolves into a circus drama that moves at the pace of molasses for the majority of the film. By the time the climax arrives, itā€™s too little too late (and too silly). The Macbeth-inspired show at the end is - like everything else in this - overdrawn and heavy-handed. It often felt like the most awkward ā€œcomicā€ bits of My Name is Nobody had been stretched out to 90 minutes. I guess if youā€™re into carnival themes and antics this will be a lot more satisfying. Itā€™s definitely not my cup of tea. 2/5 :frowning:

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:35, topic:47ā€]The circus scenes and all these scenes with the marching and trumpet playing clowns belong for me to the absolute highlights of the film.

Oddly enough I had always read favourable things about Boots Hill before I digged really deep into SW territory. And the opinion that Boots Hill is the best of the trilogy was also no isolated case. So the first surprise was that Colizzi was generally not regarded as an interesting director (he is so much more talented than e.g. Valerii), and that Boots Hill reputation was generally very, very low, to say the least.[/quote]

In all probability the whole circus part was directed by Romolo Guerrieriā€¦

boot boreā€¦ :o
terence hill have john philip law voice!!! LOLā€¦

Were they?

But they are much closer to ColizzĆ­ā€™s way of shooting than to Guerrieriā€™s. They are shot in the same way Golizzi shot the funeral or the poker game in God Forgives. And they are shot in the same way as 80 or 90 % of Boot Hill is shot.

But Guerrieri belongs also to the more talented SW directors.

In my opinion Stanton is right on the undeniable qualities of this unusual SW: there are also minor flaws like circus music reproposed inappropriately on the closing credits, the unnecessary saloon brawl that begins suddenly just after the duel (!) between Hill and Glauco Onorato and too little space given to Strode and Spencer but I like to think that they are resolved in the five minutes longer original version that I have not seen yet.

i love this movie, - and that saloon brawl was little unpleasant surprise
well, in Ace High is also one brawl, but its a quite normal fistfight scene, so it fits movie very well
what i think about that unnecessary brawl in Boots Hill, that Collizzi wanted to lighten quite dark story
and did that right after the Hill/Onorato duel - it could mean that things are safe now and after resolving real bad guys
the scenes like midgets are punching some baddies (and ridiculing them) followed.
but to me it was probably only real flaw of the movie - i was quite surprised that this movie is so poorly accepted