Boot Hill / La collina degli stivali (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1969)

Yes Stanton your heartfelt and well stated defense of this film has implored me to take another look at this film with your comments in mind. I cannot guarantee that I will like the film any better the second time around but your one man crusade does not deserve to fall on deaf ears. I will watch it again amigo!

Itā€™s reward enough to get at least one sinner back into the light ā€¦

I watched this again last night after reading Stantonā€™s enthusiastic post.
The first time I saw it (several years ago) I watched a really poor full-screen version. I did not care for it.
This time my estimation of it jumped considerably (Wild East version, 93 mins.). My favorite of Colizziā€™s westerns is God Forgives. In that one I loved Hillā€™s deadpan dark humor and Frank Wolffā€™s twisted and villainous character. God Forgives is in my top ten.
We all have our differing reasons for being drawn to Italian westerns and two of my reasons, weird freaky scenes and recurring character actors, occur in this one in abundance. Thus, I guess, my newfound appreciation for Boot Hill lies there.
But, like Paroliniā€™s acrobatic oriented films, ā€œcircusā€ westerns can be polarizing among fans. For me to appreciate this film I had to get over my deep and abiding antipathy for clowns. Although there are many (to me unfortunate) slapstick moments, there are lots of understated, deadpan humor moments as well. At one point, the commissionerā€™s assistant, Pitt, is comparing documents and signatures. He holds up two documents side by side and and says ā€œThe signature corresponds to Mr. Boone.ā€ But the viewer can see that the ā€œsignatureā€ in both cases is simply an ā€œxā€.
One of the odd things about this one is that with so large and deep a cast there are no significant females. Typical of Colizzi, I guess. The only women in this one are the circus gals, little more than a scurrying line of skirts.
But the cast IS deep.
Aside from Hill, Spencer, Strode, Stander, Buono, and Eastman there are tons of great Spaghetti actors:
Luciano Rossi gets shoved, face-first through a pane of glass byā€¦
an uncredited Wade Preston (who later meets an explosive end).
Two MacGregor brother alumni, Alberto Dellā€™Acqua & Nazzareno Zamperla appear as trapeze artists.
Tito Garcia takes on three biting, kicking midgets (and, of course, loses).
The menacing Romano Puppo, as one of Fisherā€™s henchmen, murders a circus performer not by shooting him but, instead, by shooting the trapeze rope, causing him to fall. Extra cruel.
Don Sturkie, heavily bearded Brother Tobias in They Call Me Trinity, appears as one of the miners.

One of my favorite moments is when the county commissionerā€™s helper (who has been bribed with gold) literally pulls out his nuggets and fondles them in front of god and everybody.

In a scene reminiscent of OUATITW, the trapeze artists (while performing) recite, Harmonica-like, the names of miners killed by Buonoā€™s men.

The final apocalyptic fight unfortunately devolves into slapstick, with a crash into a chicken coop (complete with flying feathers) and a raucous barroom brawl scored with annoying circus music.

But, on second viewing of this one, I obviously found much to like.

I have been finding I like more the second time round, as do not have to usually think about the plot as much.

Btw, is this really George Eastman alias Luigi Montefiori?

The credits say Luca not Luigi. Maybe a brother?

I think he looks slightly different here and Luigi used as actor always(?) his Eastman pseudonym?

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:45, topic:47ā€]Btw, is this really George Eastman alias Luigi Montefiori?

I think he looks slightly different here and Luigi used as actor always(?) his Eastman pseudonym?[/quote]

No idea, never thought of it

Couldnā€™t find the answer surfing on several Italian sites, so I asked the question on the Italian Bud&terrence net:

http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/cartella.aspx?idc=96920

Letā€™s see what happens

Iā€™m pretty sure its Eastman. Heā€™s just blonde (his natural hair color), and no facial hair, but its the same guy. Heā€™s got the height too. And its probably a role that heā€™s none too proud of, Baby doll haha.

I also think itā€™s him. His role isnā€™t very difficult and he has not many lines in that Movie. :smiley:

IMO Boothill goes downhill with the appearance of Bud Spencer. I like Bud Spencer (and fistfights!) but in a way his role and also this of Baby Doll George Eastman are not necessary for the plot. I wonder if in the first script (if there was any?) these two guys had a part or not.

[quote=ā€œPaco Roman, post:48, topic:47ā€]I also think itā€™s him. His role isnā€™t very difficult and he has not many lines in that Movie. :smiley:

IMO Boothill goes downhill with the appearance of Bud Spencer. I like Bud Spencer (and fistfights!) but in a way his role and also this of Baby Doll George Eastman are not necessary for the plot. I wonder if in the first script (if there was any?) these two guys had a part or not.[/quote]

It would be hard to believe that Bud, at least, was not in the script from inception. Since this was the third of Hill/Spencer/Colizzi 's films together and the characters (at least as I understand it) are the same in each film.

Regarding Eastman. It sure looks like him to me. Or at least he had enough variations in his looks in his different Spaghettis to give me no reason to suspect otherwise. Is Luca a name or nickname? I am probably wrong but I thought that I remember a different name being used by him but I may just be remembering that he used a a different spelling of his last name in one.
But I will say this: I have been on the forum long enough to know that you canā€™t get anything past Mr. Stanton. So I am now definitely suspiciousā€¦

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:45, topic:47ā€]Btw, is this really George Eastman alias Luigi Montefiori?

I think he looks slightly different here and Luigi used as actor always(?) his Eastman pseudonym?[/quote]

I believe itā€™s the same guy. As far as I can tell Eastman used both Luigi and Luca at different times. He is billed as Luca in Ciakmull for instance. (as per our own data base page) Also, I checked Giustiā€™s dizzionario for that film and he has the cast list as showing Luca Montefiori with Luigi Montefiori in brackets, his usual method of showing the actors real name. Giusti also has the Boot Hill cast list as including Luigi Montefiori rather than Luca. All seems to point to him being one and the same.

Eastman looks so young in this one. Looked up the alternative names on IMDB:

John Cart | Alex Carver | Lew Cooper | G. L. Eastman | G.L. Eastman | Richard Franks | George Histman | Louis London | Luigi Montefiore | Gigi Montefiori | Louis Montefiori | Luca Montefiori | Luigi Montefiori | Tom Salina

1 Like

Maybe I never gave Eastman enough acting credibilityā€¦

As far as I remember Montefiori has got a strange hair-colour - I think this caused the little confusionā€¦

Yes, I know that itā€™s part of a trilogy but Bud hasnā€™t much to say and to do in Boot Hill. For me itā€™s a Like/Dislike Movie. The opening credit is strange with this mix of sinister and funny music (dancing men!). I enjoy the first scenes with Terence and the shootout/circus montage. Itā€™s good to see actors like Lionel Stander and Woody Strode. The music is also a strange mix of Boettcher (Composer of the Winnetou Movies)like score, sinister tones and overwhelming funny and circus music. The murder in the circus is one of the best scenes in the movie. IMO a very climatic scene. As stanton noted Colizzi was a very talented director. I agree with him but not sure if he was a good in story telling in films too. In a way he shows here all the tricks he learned through his career. Interesting that he choose another direction in life cause all his Bud Spencer/Terence Hill Movies (He also did All the Ways Boys! with the Duo) were successful. With the appearance of Bud Spencer and his silent friend Baby Doll the movie starts to become more like a comedy (Terence shoots into the Stray Hat of Bud!). Cut the strange Duo (Baby Doll and Bud) out of the movie and youā€™ll have the same movie. The story of the company representative who blackmails the prospectors to get their concession is interesting and worth an own SW. Batmanā€™s enemy King Tut Victor Buono is a good villain but also more Comedy like. The final shootout wouldnā€™t be that bad if there isnā€™t a fistfigth at the end. This fistfight includes one of the most terrible scene in the movie: The fight of the Lilliputian Clowns. Boot Hill has itā€™s length and itā€™s definitely not an amazing story. It just happens too less for a SW. The joke at the end that Baby Doll can finally speak should be funny but it isnā€™t.
IMO not a bad one. Itā€™s sometimes good and sometimes bad. I gave it 3 stars mostly because of some good directed sequences and actors like Terence Hill, Bud Spencer, Woody Strode and Lionel Stander. :slight_smile:

whatā€™s the best version(english) of this? I have three crappy copies.

A copy of the german 3 DVD. It has english audio.
You have the international version (91,20 min Pal) and a special version with some more scenes or parts of scenes, which are clearly recognicable as they were added from a weaker source.

This long version runs about 98,30 min (94,28 min Pal on the disc). Longer was a worse quality italian DVD, which had about 100/96 min and is believed to be uncut.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:56, topic:47ā€]A copy of the german 3 DVD. It has english audio.
You have the international version (91,20 min Pal) and a special version with some more scenes or parts of scenes, which are clearly recognicable as they were added from a weaker source.

This long version runs about 98,30 min (94,28 min Pal on the disc). Longer was a worse quality italian DVD, which had about 100/96 min and is believed to be uncut.[/quote]

Appreciate it, compadre

This film is ok for meā€¦but only that.
I like Colizzi but prefer God Forgives and Ace High to this one. It has its moments but the one thing I think would really improve it is a better music score. Neither the understated funk stuff or the horrible circus theme does it for me. Interestingly, I watched it yesterday with my daughter and the first thing she said at the end of the film was ā€œthat music didnā€™t sound like a western.ā€ She was dead right of course and although not every score has to fit a set frame of expectation, deviating too much can affect the mood too much in the wrong direction and unsettle the viewer. This is what happened to me with Boot Hill anyway.

I have to also admit that my poor quality fullscreen version of the film didnā€™t help it eiother but if the film grabs me enough I can get over such things. My copy of Ace High is no better but I prefer it as a film.

Anyhow, Boot Hill does have its good elements and it is by no means as bad as some say as far as Iā€™m concerned. But equally, I canā€™t get quite as enthused by it as brother Stanton. Scrapes a 3 star for me.

I only watched Ace High many, many years ago as a kid. Canā€™t remember much of it.
WHy is there no German DVD of this one?

Your daughter was actually willing to sit through Boot Hill with you? Wow. LOL