Boot Hill / La collina degli stivali (Giuseppe Colizzi, 1969)

Iā€™ve seen this movie once, bought a cheap Scandinavian DVD blind that had a terrible transfer with grainy colors, wich made it hard for me to get through. I knew what I was in for having read all the comments and opinions about it but for some reason I really want to like it, and I can not say that I didnā€™t enjoy it in some way but it was kind of hard to follow the plot watching this shitty DVD so I definatly want to give it another chance with a better version, but I donā€™t know wich one to get really. Maybe some fan of the movie can help me here?

Canā€™t you find the Retrovision DVD?

Last night I watched BHill via my retro vision Dvd ā€¦ Iā€™ve ignored HILL for a long time, aware of itā€™s largely poor reputation. Iā€™ve seen GOD FORGIVES and wasnā€™t THAT keen on it, though itā€™s surely decent IMO. But if itā€™s the best of the trilogy, as most opine, how good could HILL be? Well, now I know ā€¦ PRETTY Fā€™G GREAT! I was in from the first moment, loved it. I stand solidly with Stanton and the others who give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up ā€¦ a Top Twenty for me all the way. Iā€™m going to watch it again, and will follow with some specific comments as to why it blew me away.

1 Like

Where can I purchase the nicer looking Blu-ray?

only in the Koch Films shop it seems, itā€™s a store exclusive

Is it possible to order this from any website? If not, can anyone buy it for me and I will pay via PayPal?

1 Like

Fine that you too liked it.

Btw if you havenā€™t done a top 20 yet, do one ā€¦

ā€¦ there arenā€™t much new ones this year. And I make the annual changes next month.

Itā€™s on Amazon.de but with a different cover

Thanks but I donā€™t like that cover. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking if anyone can help me get the other one.

2 Likes

Itā€™s weird how the original poster version is a in-store-exclusiveā€¦no wants to see the stupid German comedic dub nor this comedic poster

2 Likes

if I wasnt travelling the next two weeksā€¦ so if thereā€™s still plenty available on their store by mid january, I could try to do that. send me a PMā€¦ not cheap though, if you figure in shipping(s) and possible customs fees etcā€¦

1 Like

I have manually checked specs of the latest BOOT HILL BluRay release by Koch Films and the good news is, you can also watch the uncut version with English audio.

Full confirmed details on this edition are now updated here:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Collina_degli_stivali,_La/BluRay

2 Likes

Excellent news! The Retrovision dvd is good, but I believe Iā€™ll upgrade ā€¦ like Stanton, I watched with low expectations, but came away placing Boot Hill firmly in my Top 20. I found GOD FORGIVES ā€¦ perfectly decent, but nothing more than that. Like my Pappy used to say, ā€œ some like chocolate, some like vanilla.ā€

1 Like

Thank you so much @Admin for helping me get this release! Iā€™ve only ever watched this one on VHS, so I canā€™t wait to check it out again.

2 Likes

wow that was fast! Enjoy, the transfer looks really great and the soundtrack CD included here is also a nice touch

2 Likes

I am not sure where to rank Boot Hill?

After several attempts over the years, I finally watched the complete movie. I had ranked the movie at nearly 300 in my list due to the annoying circus stuff and the poor quality dvdā€™s that I have (all of my 3 copies from boxsets are poor quality). Also, the bar brawl near the end of the movie.
On the plus side, the action is good and the cast includes a lot of familiar faces.
I recently watched Boot Hill on youtube, which is much better quality and found the movie to be more enjoyable - it probably needs to move up my rankings - but I am not sure how far.

Maybe the recent bluray edition would be worth getting but it is expensive.
But Christmas is coming!

2 Likes

I watched the Koch release a few days ago and can confirm itā€™s an excellent transfer.

Like some others, I have mixed feelings about the movie. I donā€™t object to the circus stuff as a novel diversion, and there were moments early on when I got quite excited as it seemed to approach the epic, scenic framing of Leone, but I found it increasingly hard to follow what was going on (as did the friend I watched it with) and towards the latter half interest was waning.

5 Likes

This movieā€™s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new ā€œSWDb 3.0ā€ format .
Please have a look and let us know if thereā€™s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Give your rating for Boot Hill. New poll is open for this one on the original post at the top of the page. :arrow_up: :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Been a while since Iā€™ve been on here but I am back!

Finally got around to watching this one. I would agree with the general consensus that itā€™s the weakest of the Collizzi trilogy, but I found it unique and enjoyable nonetheless.

I canā€™t argue with some of the common criticisms that Iā€™ve heard, such as Hill and (especially) Spencer feeling more like extended cameos, the very vague plot & the lack of a strong villainā€¦but at the same time it has some of the most inventive camerawork Iā€™ve seen in a spaghetti, plus very strong supporting performances from Woody Strode & Lionel Stander. I didnā€™t find the comedy aspects to be overdone and the film never veered into silliness for me, despite its occasional moments of goofiness.

In my opinion, Collizzi was a very creative, underrated and talented director, with a great eye for unique shots. Overall I think Boot Hill is far better than its reputation, and with a more focused plot and better villain it may even have been considered a unique classic of the genre.

3 Likes