[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

Yeah, me too. They are both great and underrated for sure. Would have loved it if Woods had reprised his role as he did with Pecos though, not that the replacement actor was bad.

1 Like

For anyone in the U.S. who may be interested, the Arrow box set pre-order price has dropped on Amazon to $66.99. Donā€™t forget to use Sebā€™s link up above. :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great deal!!!

1 Like

Does the US edition have the same region? It is much cheaper than the UK one

It probably will be the same region but the UK will also drop in price on amazon.co.uk before release.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to order the forthcoming Arrow boxed set Blood Money today, but I notice it is volume 2, and I canā€™t find any trace of volume 1 on Arrowā€™s website. Was Vengeance Trails supposed to be volume 1?

The small town where I grew up used to bring in a lot of spaghetti westerns in the '60s because they were cheap ā€“ I saw most of the Tony Anthony spaghettis twice ā€“ and I grew to love the genre, and Iā€™m happy to be in this forum with like-minded loonies. You know, people who still chuckle when Tuco cuts his ties with Cpl. Wallace using a train, despite having seen it 50 times.

6 Likes

Simply put: yes. They just never communicated it as such

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping Volume 3 will be the Tony Anthony full set - Stranger series + Blindman etc.

Been digging those Stelvio Cipriani tracks on YouTube.

4 Likes

I picked up the first two on DVD years ago, but they were generated from a VHS master and looked dreadful. I later found decent DVD versions of all of them, with the exception of Get Mean and the 3-D stuff, and I donā€™t really want those. But I donā€™t think any of that stuff is available on Blu-ray. Anthony is a strange fellow. Before doing spaghetti westerns, he produced the Beatlesā€™ 1966 concert in Shea Stadium, and I presume thatā€™s how he got to know Ringo and rope him into appearing in Blindman.

Thanks! Thatā€™s a relief. I have Vengeance Trails, but I was despairing that there were 4 anonymous spaghettis on Blu-ray that I hadnā€™t run down.

Where does this info come from ? Anthony was connected to Allen Klein via the ā€˜Strangerā€™ films ā€¦ and later, Klein was the Beatles manager, but during the Shea Stadium gig in 1965, Brian Epstein was their manager.

1 Like

I read that somewhere a while back, but I donā€™t remember where. According to Wikipedia, Anthony befriended Klein in the early 1960s, before the Stranger films started rolling out. The term ā€œproducerā€ can be nebulous in regard to the live music business; it could be the entity who conceives the deal and puts up the guarantees, but it could also be the guy who trouble-shoots the production to ensure details like security and the sound system and the like run smoothly. I just read that Anthony produced the concert and took it at face value.

1 Like

With the exception of Blindman and Stranger in Japan all are available on Blu-ray, or will be very shortly, between companies from the US and Germany.

1 Like

Not to stray too far off topic, but I have a bit of an amusing story about what it takes to become a ā€œproducerā€.

When my wife was in high school, she was quite the academic (and still is) but had a bit of competition from another girl in school. Both were at the top of their class academically, participated in drama, choir, 4H, and both played basketball. So, despite the fact they were in competition with each other, they were thrown together constantly and developed a strained friendship of sorts.

Continuing to mirror each otherā€™s lives, both graduated high school before they turned 17 and it was at this point that their lives divergedā€¦drastically! My wife went to college and completed her Masters degree at the age of 21. Her frenemy, on the other hand, convinced her mother to accompany her to Hollywood and stay with her until she turned 18 as she was destined for stardom. And stardom she attained! That is, if stardom consists of one line parts as ā€œwaitressā€, ā€œnurseā€, or ā€œtaxi driverā€ in soap operas counts. She did have a decent sized part in the most low budget space cowboy movie (the name of which escapes me right now) ever made but that was the peak of her career. Three years or so ago, she decided to pack it in but as she was deciding what to do with her life, an acquaintance of hers sold everything she owned and moved in with her. The reason? She was trying to finance her own short film. For allowing her to live their cash free, the movie maker made her a producer on the short filmā€¦something that actually shows up on my wifeā€™s frenemyā€™s IMDB page.

In other words, as impressive as it sounds, being a producer doesnā€™t always mean much. :laughing: Ironically, it appears the short film was fairly well receivedā€¦for whatever thatā€™s worth.

Thanks. I hadnā€™t spotted those Nameless Media May releases. Is there a blu of The Silent Stranger?

With the exception of Blindman and Stranger in Japan all are available on Blu-ray, or will be very shortly, between companies from the US and Germany.

Yes, but will those either have the English soundtrack or English subtitles? One of the things I really liked about Stranger in Japan is that half the movie is in Japanese and isnā€™t subtitled, forcing the viewer into the perspective of the Tony Anthony character, who also doesnā€™t understand Japanese. That perspective would be lost in the Japanese version.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be able to check that soon. My German discs of the first two Stranger films just shipped. According to Amazon they have English audio.

1 Like

please also let me know if the info onthese discs in the database is correct, once you have checked. we want to be more reliable than amazon :wink:

1 Like

I just had a first look at the two Stranger blu-ray discs from Nameless. They both have English, Italian, and German audio and are quite a leap forward in terms of resolution and sharpness compared to my German DVDs from Colosseo.

However there is an issue with A Stranger in Town. The opening credits and the following exterior footage until Anthony walks into the cantina are strangely dark and lacking contrast. Itā€™s almost like a day-for-night filter, just not quite as dark and without the blue tint. Very strange. Judging by a very quick skip-through the image seems fine after that.

2 Likes

Would they be an upgrade on the warner archives DVD that I have? Usually Iā€™d just buy to see for myself but Iā€™m going to have to keep that release anyway as it has the full trilogy on it.

(I mean I assume so as they are blu rays).