[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

An undertaking like that does seem challenging, maybe I am naive to the editing process but I just assumed you could drop entire scenes where there is non prefered audio and that be that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing custom audio work for years, and itā€™s rare to have a project where the two prints are identical ā€¦ thereā€™s almost always some manipulation of the available elements involved, which makes it fun, if not really frustrating at times. Itā€™s a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle, but cutting the edges to make it all fit ā€¦ a bit of a crude analogy, because the aim is of course to make the project as professional and seamless as possible.

I havenā€™t watched either of these fandubs, as I didnā€™t think much of the old English version to begin with ā€¦ but I have encountered many English prints (on VHS) which have micro edits ā€¦ sometimes during dialogue exchanges and often at the head and tails of scenes ā€¦ chopping out a couple of seconds here and there means the film distributor will save on print costs, because those seconds of pruning all add up, and you can have a version which appears identical to the original, but it maybe as much as 10 minutes shorter.

PS: Thereā€™s still no reason for the distributor not to get hold of the fandub version and utilise that for their release ā€¦ just sayinā€™! lol :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder if there was some SECAM (similar to PAL) speed up going on with the TV version at 25 frames per second. That shouldnā€™t be an issue if dealing with the original 24fps.

Speed up is really the first thing to be analysed if youā€™re experienced with these type of re-dubs, and can be corrected/adjusted with quite basic freeware - It definitely seems from the description that the English language version is a different cut.

seems that way, and then it can indeed turn into quite the ardous task I can imagineā€¦ what keeps bugging me is how nowhere in the world a film print of this was kept? It boggles the mind who thousands of movies will at some point forever be lost because folks in the 80s or so thought all that stuff can just be tossedā€¦ even a scan from a screening print would be better than nothing

Yes it does ā€¦ and film prints were still being destroyed after general release, right up to when digital cinema took over - the owner/distributors felt this was a way to protect themselves against bootleggers and copyright theft, and that obviously makes no difference at all . Dumb idea!

So far just a few minor updates to the calendar this morning (some French BluRay covers added, no new titles or dates)

This was kind of a slow news week :confused:

Where are Plaion? Last allarrabiatta was November.

Yeah man, they need to get busy :smiley: But honestly, there is so much stuff coming out in Germany all the time, Iā€™d rather see our American and UK friends get some love, too. Even some recent French releases have filled long overdue gaps. And Italyā€¦ donā€™t even get me started. The birthplace of the spaghetti western has the least amount of BluRay releasesā€¦ while Spain is awash in gray market stuffā€¦ oh boy

5 Likes

If it was not for German releases my Spaghetti Western collection would be a half of what it is now and with far less superior quality discs! Other countries need to step it up for sure. And yeah Italian companies, where is the respect for your film history :thinking:

3 Likes

Not sure if itā€™s been mentioned yet but I just tested it in my Xbox and the indicator release of the big gundown works in US players.

2 Likes

and they mustā€™ve shipped at Amazon UK, at least a lot of them, as I can see some affiliate revenue for the SWDb peaking this morning :slight_smile:

Youā€™re right, because mine is arriving tomorrow (allegedly)

Plaion announcement is imminent. Prediction: this week.

4 Likes

ooh, good news!

1 Like

Hallejuah!!! :grin:

1 Like

are you willing to bet on that? :wink:

2 Likes

Should I be worried? As long as itā€™s not a comedy or a Fidani I think Iā€™ll be OK with the release.

Not really. Iā€™ve got my expectations low.