[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

Looks like that has changed sadly.
Apparently MGM wonā€™t now release the Italian audio. No clear idea why but suspect there is an issue with Italian rights holders. :unamused:

3 Likes

Those MGM assholes! Excuse the use of language there, but that really burns me. Looks like Iā€™ll be going with the German editions :disappointed: (disappointed about the UK release, not about getting the German discs)

Does anyone know if the upcoming Eureka release of the Great Silence will have subtitles for both audio tracks?

I already have the Film Movement version and I have 2 issues with it:

1. only the Italian track was ā€œremasteredā€. The English track sounds very muffled;
  2. the subtitles are actually the translation of the Italian track. So using it for the English track is very confusing since the dialogue is quite different in some places.

If Eureka would solve these 2 issues, I would be a happy man :wink:

The specs just say ā€˜optional English subtitlesā€™ so we wonā€™t have an idea until it comes out, unfortunately.

Yes and here is a first review

2 Likes

Another review: Sabata Blu-ray (Ehi amico...c'ĆØ Sabata. Hai chiuso! / Eureka Classics) (United Kingdom)

Bad news, read closely and also the comments

2 Likes

Dang, thatā€™s a bummer. Iā€™m still gonna keep my pre-order as I donā€™t have the FilmMovement release but I was hoping Eurekaā€™s release would look a bit better as Iā€™ve heard the restoration wasnā€™t exactly perfect.

the Film Movement disc looked fine, but certainly not on par with what could be expected from an expensive 4K restoration of source material. On the other hand though, I donā€™t know of anyone who saw that restoration in Paris and it may either just be up to Museum standards but not fit for home video processing or the French Cinemateque canā€™t license it out because they themselves only have the rights to show and use it in the framework of their capacity as an archive and museum (trying to think of reasons here)ā€¦ at any rate the Eureka disc should be a blast anyway, not the least because of all the extras. But weā€™ll see. I will receive it as well and I have the Film Movement and the German discs here to compare

2 Likes

Yeah, even if I did have the Film Movement release, Iā€™d still want the Eureka one for the Cox commentary and the extra goodies included

I try not to be too picky when it comes to releases, though I do admit I prefer it when a filmā€™s original language track with translated subtitles is included as an option, but from the few stills Iā€™ve seen from the current home media restorations seem fine to me. Maybe Iā€™m oblivious to imperfections on some things with some releases, I donā€™t know, but so far the content both Eureka and Film Movement have done seem on par with a job well done. I prefer quality over quantity myself, but I also try to be forgiving, as sometimes certain things are taken out of a companyā€™s hands.

1 Like

I trust Eureka will be doing a better job with the encoding than Film Movement whose discā€™s encoding varies between garbage and ok.

1 Like

and

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Return-of-Sabata-Blu-ray/296284/#Review

and

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Adios-Sabata-Blu-ray/296334/#Review

1 Like

Just got my dispatch email from Eureka. Really looking forward to checking out the extras

1 Like

found another

If only this was Region A. Sabata currently does not have an in-print Blu-ray in the US.

are the Kino ones sold out? I am sure ones can be found used or on ebay? You can also try for the German discs, they have an older master as basis I think, but they are solid releases. Not sure about their region code, but geting a code free player is a worthwhile investment at any rateā€¦

2 Likes

Images for the reversible sleeve for Eurekaā€™s The Great Silence release:

6 Likes

Iā€™m definitely gonna grab this edition. Itā€™s been at least 15 years since I last saw this, and I remember vividly being disappointed with the ending, but again I saw it as a high school kid who maybe dreamt a little too high (I still dream big, just not that big :wink:) Maybe now that Iā€™m older I wonā€™t be as judgmental. And thankfully we have alternate ending options, so I donā€™t have to bear the original ending if I donā€™t feel up to it.

2 Likes

Just thought I would let everyone know, in case there are other people besides myself who have not ordered the Arrow Vengeance Trails set yet, Amazon U.S. just had a decent price drop on it down to $49.99. As a matter of fact, they have dropped the price on several of the Arrow box sets, including Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamato (by $23.00) and their upcoming Giallo Collection (by $30.00)

2 Likes