Blaxploitation

[size=12pt][font=times new roman]Some of the ones I love are the Shaft trilogy, Slaughter & Slaughter’s Big Rip-Off, Black Caesar & Hell Up in Harlem, That Man Bolt, Truck Turner, Cleopatra Jones, Foxy Brown & some others.[/font][/size]

That Man, Bolt… 1973. Adroitly produced Fred Williamson stomper. He’s a bonded courier, based in Macao/Hong Kong, hired by ‘British bankers’ to deliver cash to Mexico City via Los Angeles. But he detours to Las Vegas after an LA car-chase. -Where he learns he’s working for spies who wanna put a disreputable Hong Kong bank out of business. The script is excellent and logical. And the kung-fu action is raw. There’s no need for everybody to be grand-masters of everything. Impeccable musical score by Charles Bernstein. All make for a high re-watchability factor.

Not much that I can say that hasn’t already been covered. I’m a fan of most of the films mentioned here, and I absolutely love Pam Grier! She’s only gotten more sexy as she’s grown older.

I’m also a BIG fan of SHAFT. Saying that, I enjoyed the first sequel up to the point where he commandeers a speed boat. Where in the heck did he learn to drive it? I thought that was just a bit too much.

SHAFT IN AFRICA… “The brother man in the mother land!” I like the tagline and that’s about it.

And oh, the television SHAFT isn’t too hot. The character was completely neutered. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Might add Boss Nigger to my Blaxploitation and 70s collection. I have a few Fred Williamson films in there. My favourite is Black Caesar.

Its good enough for what it is, but I like his regular blaxploitation films better. I’m not sure if I just wasn’t in the right mood for it or what, but it just seemed a bit low effort / by the numbers. A lot of people love it though.

I seem to remember preferring the sequel, Hell Up in Harlem. Loved the song, Big Papa!

I just see it as a more serious take on the genre. One with a social analysis. And a James Brown soundtrack to boot!
I think That Man Bolt comes a close second! Very cool.

Remember the song but not the film. :thinking:

Oh my post was referring back to Boss Nigger again, sorry for the confusion.

Black Caesar is great. I love almost everything Larry Cohen has done

It it’s fine! :smile:
I personally think it is his best film. Trouble Man with Robert Hooks was good too, I won’t say it’s a classic but good fun.

I’m expanding my Blaxploitation collection atm and do appreciate recommendations! These are the one’s I have in my collection

The Mack
Black Caesar
Detroit 9000
Coffy

You need Black Gunn and the Shaft films

1 Like

Definitely the shaft films like The Man says!
Then I would add
Foxy Brown
Black Mama White Mama
Truck Turner
Super Fly
Hit Man (based on the Get Carter novel)
the aforementioned films Black Caesar and That Man Bolt
Friday Foster
And maybe Sheba Baby

1 Like

Black Gunn is a new one to me.
Have you ever seen Blacula?

Blackenstein featuring a monster with a square Afro is er different.

POSTER_-_BLACULA

The ‘Blacula’ films are pretty cool, and are a perfect match for the two ‘Count Yorga’ vampire films.

1 Like

Totally agree. William Marshall lived the role!! Charles McCauley was good as Dracula too.

Cleopatra Jones is another one to watch!