Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1968)

Germany:
Colosseo Film will release BLACK JACK on blu ray in January 2019 :slight_smile:
New 4K Scan from negative.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great. Hopefully theyā€™ll follow that up with El Puro next.

1 Like

Thatā€™s quite unexpected, great news.

Shortly before the bank robbery Billy - played by the fight arranger Fredy Unger - gets a room (number seven, of course) using the aliasā€¦ George Harrison! :slightly_smiling_face:

I support your request: new 4K scan from the original 120 minutes negative.

I just watched the Collosseo Bluray with Black Jack for the first time, and it was probably slightly better than my expectations.

It is not so extremely horrible, grim, dark etc as I had expected. It is a well staged revenge story and tragedy that reminds me a bit of both Cemetery Without Crosses and especially of Death Sentence, one of the revenge episodes during a poker game, some of the music is very similar in spite of different composers. The music was mostly not so SW-like but not annoying.

The Israeli outdoor scenes were good, but I assume some scenes with a lot of green vegatation were from Italy (not included on the IMDb web site).
I like Robert Woods from the two Pecos movies and his character had to die as well as the main character in Cemetery Without Crosses, because both had commited a serious crime. So these SWs are also typical of the classic Hollywood code :wink:
So I donā€™t find this SW especially extreme.
I think my ā€œverdictā€ in the future will be a weak 7 out of 10 but not reaching my Top 20, if not a solid 6/10.

1 Like

Just revisited this masterpiece through the amazing Colosseo release and had to question myself how this is not in my 20. I think I swapped it out for El Puro at some pointā€¦ Might have felt that E.P was gonna be my main Robert Woods contender for the list but now Iā€™m puzzledā€¦ An equally nice BluRay of E.P would make the choice easier perhaps. Please Koch or Arrow - Make that happenā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m ashamed to say that I have never heard of this film. Could you fill me in on it and why you think it is a masterpiece?

• It has a ghost town
  • Itā€™s very violent
  • Itā€™s very bleak
  • It has a catchy theme tune
  • Robert Woods is fantastic
1 Like

Iā€™m sold on it Dean!!

Ghost Towns are my thing, it worked in Django, Keoma and many others.

They really resonate with me.
California, Four of the Apocalypse, Cemetery without Crosses to name a few more.

Not seen California but other wise I concur.

Just watched Black Jack, great film, so entertaining!! Is there a sequel?

No, but that would be cool.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Tragic that. Robert Woods should have had a a few Black Jackā€™s. :cowboy_hat_face:

June 11, 1969

2 Likes

Very cool. If Black Jack didnā€™t deserve a sequel then he should have a had a comic book!!

Bit tricky making a sequel when he dies in the end ? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Opps! :woozy_face: I guess beer and spaghetti westerns donā€™t mix! To beer honest I was drowsy at the torture bit. Then the credits rolled. So I plan on watching it from that point again.

Caught again, your patheticā€¦Sequel coming up soon!!!