Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1968)

I was mistaken on The Professionals. It was great to Stanton explain why. I wasn’t caught.
I admit I should have waited here.
Pathetic? Sorry Gringo that’s a bid strong. I shall do my best not to make it a trilogy.

Fine I’ll leave you alone if you leave me alone.

Lone_Gringo, please give Ali a break! He hasn’t insulted anybody, so let’s just keep it civil!

2 Likes

Yeah, whatever…

Watched this one last night for the first time and must admit I was not a huge fan, I always hear good things about it and know many really like it but it just didn’t strike the right cord for me. It had some orginally and was bleak(which I usually enjoy) but Wood’s character I think just didn’t work for some reason imo. It wasn’t horrible but just last week I watched Requiem for a Gringo and enjoyed that one much more.

Yeah, Requiem for a Gringo is a much better film. I’m sure its director Merino would have turned Black Jack into a much better Spag, but at least Baldanello did not kill the film. It is at least a good one, above average.

Black Jack would be better if Baldanello didn’t tell Woods to overact and just let him play it straight.

1 Like

This is just it, Wood’s overacting. Yeah it is kind of original because Wood’s shows more emotion than the normal cool, calm and collected SW star we normally see but it just didn’t work, for me anyway.

I also prefer Requiem For A Gringo (including its MUSIC DE LUXE) since I rank it as high as number 10 on my SW Top 50, but Black Jack only 31. However I rate both 7/10 with the former close to 8/10 and the latter a slightly weak 7/10.
I have not much against Wood’s hysterical laughter though, and (going more off topic) gets more irritated by some of Tomas Milian’s characters or even Tuco !

And Robert would agree with you - He has said in interviews that he loved making the film, had high hopes for it, but wasn’t happy with how the director wanted the character portrayed … he added that, ‘He was a director’s actor, and did what was asked of him’ … though his own fears were realised when he finally saw the completed film.

It’s just one of those things that you’ve gotta roll with … as these films were made decades ago and were never expected to have a long shelf life, never mind be analysed 50 years later by a new audience. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point, it seems Baldanello forgot to tell Woods that he was in fact Django …

Or as the blu-ray spine says… ‘DANGO’.

1 Like

An anagram of Gonad !!! :rofl:

1 Like

That misprint is making me nauseous every time I glance over the shelf.

1 Like

If it said Django, that would be bad enough! I don’t think anything is as worse as the South African dvd of El Puro, which claims to star Reb Brown.

Not a bad flick, some decent set pieces and shootouts, but I was underwhelmed by the climax. Not sure I had seen it before, at any rate the BluRay is excellent

@Phil_H and @Carlos have upgraded this movie’s page in the SWDb to the new “SWDb 3.0” format .
Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

New poll for Black Jack, first post at the top. :arrow_up:

1 Like

Brilliant film and a must for any fan of quasi-Horror Italian Westerns like AND GOD SAID TO CAIN, DJANGO IL BASTARDO, etc… Woods is brilliant as a decent man whose soul becomes increasingly twisted and deformed by his lust for revenge. A really strong movie.

4 Likes

hey and great to see you back on here @BChristgau