Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1968)

Just watched a fandub composite of this one which uses a mixture of visuals from the German DVD and a Surf Film version with English audio layed over it. It has the correct downbeat ending and apparently uses longest shots from each version so total run time on my PAL machine was a little over 95 minutes including English opening credits. To be honest I donā€™t think the picture quality is much better than my old Dutch VHS rip for the most part interested to see what I think is its longest version available.

Still a very enjoyable film. I do like a revenge flick that ends badly. :slight_smile:

Did you have black bars on the side of this version ?

I do like a revenge flick that ends badly.

Hmmā€¦ that sounds right up my alley. I might have to give this one a day in court.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:121, topic:1373ā€]Just watched a fandub composite of this one which uses a mixture of visuals from the German DVD and a Surf Film version with English audio layed over it. It has the correct downbeat ending and apparently uses longest shots from each version so total run time on my PAL machine was a little over 95 minutes including English opening credits. To be honest I donā€™t think the picture quality is much better than my old Dutch VHS rip for the most part interested to see what I think is its longest version available.

Still a very enjoyable film. I do like a revenge flick that ends badly. :)[/quote]

That would be my composite :smiley: I was frustrated by the lack of a decent, complete release of this one, so put it together for myself and decided to share it.

ENNIOO, itā€™s presented in 1.33:1, as per the German DVD. Iā€™m pretty sure that disc is open matte, and I experimented with cropping it to 1.66:1. I think the compositions work better in the 1.66:1 version I created, to be honest.

Comparison screenies below (fullscreen version on top, widescreen version below):

[/URL]

[url]https://imageshack.com/i/n8xyb1p

Cheers Vito. Thanks for sharing your version by the way :slight_smile: .

No worries :slight_smile:

Yes, thanks for sharing Vito. Appreciate your work.
Is that your fandub on CG of Duel in the Eclipse too? If so, how is the sound quality? I have a number of versions of this film and most have a nasty hiss on the English audio.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:127, topic:1373ā€]Yes, thanks for sharing Vito. Appreciate your work.
Is that your fandub on CG of Duel in the Eclipse too? If so, how is the sound quality? I have a number of versions of this film and most have a nasty hiss on the English audio.[/quote]
Yep, thatā€™s mine too :slight_smile: The English audio is from a DVD-R of a VHS tape that I acquired around ten years ago. Thereā€™s a bit of tape hiss on it, which is noticeable during quiet scenes, but I donā€™t think itā€™s too bad (of course, these things can be quite subjective, I guess) in comparison with a lot of other VHS tapes Iā€™ve seen over the years.

Iā€™ve uploaded a clip of the DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE fandub/composite to Youtube. Itā€™s still processing at the moment, but should be ā€˜liveā€™ within half an hour or so - and should give you a better idea as to the sound quality.

[url]Duel in the Eclipse - Requiem for a Gringo fandub composite clip - YouTube

Ok cheers. Iā€™ll check it out.

Re viewed this one via the composite version, and an excellent job. Forgot how good this is. Its an excellent tale of revenge, with Woods on top form. The Indian is a bit of a head player. I did forget there were some boobs in this oneā€¦how shocking :smiley: .

[quote=ā€œVito Cipriani, post:128, topic:1373ā€]Yep, thatā€™s mine too :slight_smile: The English audio is from a DVD-R of a VHS tape that I acquired around ten years ago. Thereā€™s a bit of tape hiss on it, which is noticeable during quiet scenes, but I donā€™t think itā€™s too bad (of course, these things can be quite subjective, I guess) in comparison with a lot of other VHS tapes Iā€™ve seen over the years.

Iā€™ve uploaded a clip of the DUEL IN THE ECLIPSE fandub/composite to Youtube. Itā€™s still processing at the moment, but should be ā€˜liveā€™ within half an hour or so - and should give you a better idea as to the sound quality.

[url]Duel in the Eclipse - Requiem for a Gringo fandub composite clip - YouTube

Would love to view these fandub composites. The 1:66 looks much better on Black Jackā€¦A film I still have yet to see due to the unfortunate obscurity of it.

Strangely I watched this one by mistake; I was ready to watch Starblack.
My bad and the show must go on. Never watched anything from the director before, apart from some strange 70ā€™s flick, with the action taking place in Brazil with native tribes or something, that I donā€™t really remember much.
In any case when you watch a SW, at least three possible conclusions are possible, a great film that just happens to be a SW, not a great or a particularly good film, but in subgenre terms really above average so a good SW, and when itā€™s a bad SW, itā€™s obviously a bad film in general terms.
In Starā€¦ sorry Black Jack, we are in that second position with the bonus that even if far from being a masterpiece its not a bad or bellow pair film either.
The premise is pure Spaghetti felling, and the robbery scene is very cool, kind of a Sartana film without the weird stuff.
Itā€™s a well balance revenge story, and some of the revenge killings were well planed in script terms, like the one with our hero/villain using a mob to do the job.
Robert Woods goes a bit over the top sometimes, but in his case works fine, also liked the secondary actors. Another good thing was that English dub didnā€™t do any harm to film, something that doesnā€™t happen that often.
Sometimes while Iā€™m watching some bad spag, its almost a sacrifice Iā€™m just wishing itā€™s over soon, In Black Jack itā€™s the other way around, so itā€™s a good sign when you donā€™t look the forward bottom.
The ending was great (Iā€™ve seen two, one incomplete and other more complete), itā€™s good that we donā€™t have an anti-hero in the story but a villain with revenge in is mind.
The only strange thing was the Israel scenarios; they just donā€™t combine with the Italian Sets, pity they didnā€™t shoot the all film in one place.

So a very good SW with good dynamics a good story that kept me interested to the end, something even more important when the plot is so common in SW terms.

I guess youā€™re talking about the scenery :wink:

Have you, by the way, a widescreen version or Starblack, or the familiar, mediocre fullscreen version (also available on You Tube)?

I know the feeling, having just seen Return of Shanghai Joe :o - I love the genre, but a there doesnā€™t seem to be anything more depressing than a truly bad Spaghetti Western (or Italian genre film in general, perhaps because weā€™re usually watching an awful VHS rip which just contributes to the malaise).

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:133, topic:1373ā€]I guess youā€™re talking about the scenery :wink:

Have you, by the way, a widescreen version or Starblack, or the familiar, mediocre fullscreen version (also available on You Tube)?[/quote]

Yap scenary, not my fault its the Word corrector to blame :wink:

I have at least two or three copies, have to check out, but I think the one I have with Spanish Audio only is Widescreen, Iā€™ll tell you later.

Return of Shangai Joe, been there mate, one of those films that deserves a tatoo if you watch it til the end

One of my favoritesā€¦ obviously!

Iā€™ve still not picked up a decent copy of this, my original was a VHS transfer with a loud hum and of miserable quality, my other copy has no hum but is still poor.

Still hoping to see a better quality version in English some day.

Anyone got subs for this? Is there a thread for sharing subs? Because it is a great way to not have to search for English friendly products.

I have a CG composite of several versions. Donā€™t know if it has subs, but if it does I can see about getting a dropbox link to you tonight or tomorrow when Iā€™m off work of the srt. If not, would you like the English dub composite?

Yeah, sure, thanks. I could give the dub a try.

Sorry it took so long! Hereā€™s a dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmavd1ht60pfhu1/Black%20Jack%20(Gianfranco%20Baldanello%2C%201968)%20uncut%20composite%20by%20Clarence%20for%20CG.m4v?dl=0