Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1968)

[quote=ā€œp.pereira, post:80, topic:1373ā€]Iā€™ve bought the Spanish DVD (CWP release), excellent image but 4:3 ratio.
Best role by Woods in a spaghetti in my opinion, reminds me the Horace Pinker character in Wes Cravenā€™s ā€œShockerā€.[/quote]

I have the French disc, good image quality too, but yes, 4:3 ratio
I guess all existing prints are in that ratio, Iā€™ve never heard about a widescreen release

Great film, yes, very nasty and violent; if you like them like this, Black Jack is the movie for you

Database comment:

Bleak and violent revenge western with a hero who is driven halfway mad by his thirst for vengeance, and becomes thereby as worse as the men he is out to kill. Doubtless by far Baldanelloā€™s best SW, who nevertheless isnā€™t a good enough director to be able to realise the full potential of the story (Django the Bastard is a similar case). Still it is, if not a great masterpiece, what we like to call a minor classic.

Just as worse > just as bad
Worse means - so to speak - ā€˜badderā€™ (this word doesnt exist in English, only in Jim Groceā€™s English)

bad - worse - worst
(good - better - best > you canā€™t say: heā€™s just as better as)

Is Django the Bastard a Baldanello movie? That seems to be the suggestion here.

He was bad, bad Leroy Brown, the baddest man in the whole downtown

I noticed it is: the whole damned town

Ahh, ok

Thank you very much. I change it in the database.

No, only another good SW which should have had a better director to make it real good.

Good comment, Stanton.

Baldanello has no talent to make a good SW.
And I also agree, in Django - The Bastard is the same problem.
Both stories have a lot of potential. But both movies have become very average.
Reason are the two directors (Baldanello and Garrone).

In Black Jack, Woods has a large share that the film reaches certain level.
But I think the story just gets caught up too long in this bank robbery. For the actual revenge is little time available. Each of the completed independent revenge parts are completed in a few minutes. One can make no real put yourself in the story.

Too bad. For me, the film is absolute average. But the average is interesting by the performance of Woods. :wink:

As Stanton said, no, but I think the sentence:

ā€œDoubtless by far Baldanelloā€™s best SW, who nevertheless isnā€™t a good enough director to be able to realise the full potential of the story (Django the Bastard is a similar case).ā€

Is rather ambiguous and I too thought it was a Baldanello Spaghetti Western at first. Perhaps Stanton should alter the sentence?

Django The Bastard was directed by Sergio Garrone.

[quote=ā€œJohn Welles, post:87, topic:1373ā€]As Stanton said, no, but I think the sentence:

ā€œDoubtless by far Baldanelloā€™s best SW, who nevertheless isnā€™t a good enough director to be able to realise the full potential of the story (Django the Bastard is a similar case).ā€

Is rather ambiguous and I too thought it was a Baldanello Spaghetti Western at first. Perhaps Stanton should alter the sentence?[/quote]

I had already changed it in the Database.
But generally, if you think something is wrong you can just change it yourself. Especially if something sounds odd, as my English is far from perfect. I normally check the ā€œRecent Changesā€ every day. And if I have objections I would simply ask for the reasons.

[quote=ā€œThe Stranger, post:86, topic:1373ā€]Good comment, Stanton.

Baldanello has no talent to make a good SW.
And I also agree, in Django - The Bastard is the same problem.
Both stories have a lot of potential. But both movies have become very average.
Reason are the two directors (Baldanello and Garrone).

In Black Jack, Woods has a large share that the film reaches certain level.
But I think the story just gets caught up too long in this bank robbery. For the actual revenge is little time available. Each of the completed independent revenge parts are completed in a few minutes. One can make no real put yourself in the story.

Too bad. For me, the film is absolute average. But the average is interesting by the performance of Woods. ;)[/quote]

Too bad, indeed. I think both are good examples for the qualities and possibilities of the genre.

very good SW, robert woods kick ass in this one!!!
deserve a special uncut dvd with the original ending

To sum up, which DVD release has the correct ending (the cut/manipulated conclusion seems to me really bad)?

the cut/manipulated conclusion itā€™s really bad you canā€™t understand whatā€™s happening :-\

I donĀ“t agree with Stanton. Baldanello does a good job with this low budget western. ItĀ“s a straight, no frills, revenge western. A bigger budget and/or a more frivolous director would have probably done more harm than good. Now the atmosphere is great, making for grim entertainment helped by a fitting Lallo Gori score.

I agree with Stanton

;D
The movie could have been executed in a better way, but itā€™s still a little gem. Imagine what Petroni would do with this script for instance though.

Film is just fine as it is for me.

All in all the same.

I always try to imagine what a good director would have done with Death Rides a Horse. Which tells unlike Black Jack only a business as usual SW story.

Iā€™m looking to see this film, looks rather interesting. Pardon if this was asked earlier, but where might I get a copy with english audio, what is/are the runtime/s, and is the ending cut or uncut? Thankā€™s for the help!

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Black_Jack

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-JACK-ROBERT-WOODS-BRUTAL-SPAGHETTI-WESTERN-ENGLISH-1968-/251144606275?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3a79629243