BIG Sartana article

Hey amigos, sorry to pimp here but this one’s too good not to. Col. Mortimer has a great “Guide to the official Sartana films” over at Fistful now. Freakin’ awesome.

http://fistfulofpasta.com/index.php?go=reviews/sartanaguide[url]http://fistfulofpasta.com/index.php?go=reviews/sartanaguide[/url]

That’s a great article. Thanks to you both.
I’ve seen maybe all of the Sartana films but many ciders ago, and my old grey cells don’t always fire up as they should, and they’re all mixed up in what’s left of my memory. I do plan to see ‘em all again (even tho’ I’m not the biggest fan) - and this’ll make it easier to sort 'em. A few pictures to split up the words don’t go amiss with me either - cheers.

Brilliant work, Colonel

You can tell that you love those movies
Personally, I never was a great fan, but I’ve started to like them more recently

I’m particularly fond of Angel of death/The gravedigger
What I liked, was this town Poker Falls as a sort of 19th century Las Vegas

Indeed a great article!

Only a couple of quibbles. I hesitate to even mention them because I doubt I could have done half as good a job as Col. Douglas Mortimer did; but, anyway…

I understand why you would exclude Hilton and your explanation is fine. But, let me give you an example of why I think he should be included. When someone is discussing the official James Bond movies do they ignore the films with Moore, Lazenby, Dalton, and so forth?
Personally, I would like to ignore most of those because I think Connery was the ultimate Bond (just as I think Garko was the ultimate Sartana). But, that really isn’t looking at the big picture, so to speak. Just my opinion, of course.

And…yes, Sartana became a sort of James Bond in the West figure after Carnimeo took over; but, initially Parolini and Garko conceived him as a spectral, “supernatural” gunman. I wouldn’t go so far as to say Sartana’s character is a ghost; but, it is hinted at (especially in the first film) that he is not of this world. The medallion that Lasky wears at one point in the film is to ward off evil spirits and so forth.
I think what sets the Sartana character apart from all the other Spaghetti Western protagonists is this mystic aura and I am always amazed when people seem to blow right by that for the Bond influence.
But, that all said…Parolini was very much into spy films (not only was he a fan of the Bond films, he made several spy films of his own in the Kommissar X series) and liked adding those gadgetry elements to all of his films.

But, enough of that…
Like I said when I started, that is a heck of a good article, Col.!!
BRAVO!!

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:3, topic:1052”]I’m particularly fond of Angel of death/The gravedigger
What I liked, was this town Poker Falls as a sort of 19th century Las Vegas[/quote]

Funny!!
That town is one of the reasons I really don’t like the second Sartana film as much as the rest of the series. In fact, I almost HATE this movie!
In the original version of the film there is a transition sequence as Sartana goes to Poker Falls that actually shows MODERN DAY NEON SIGNS FROM LAS VEGAS!!! Utterly ridiculous! And it yanked me right out of the film (up to that point it had been a great movie). Franco Cleef, when he was doing his version of this film decided wisely to remove this transition sequence because it offended his sensibilities,as well.

The other things I dislike about this movie include the stupid reworking of “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” as Klaus Kinski’s musical motif. It totally makes his character out-and-out silly—and ruins the scenes he is in.
And I don’t like the dumb character names, either; such as: Hot Dead (what the hell is that supposed to mean??) and Buddy Ben (sounds like a kid’s TV show host!!).

I am glad the other films in the series steered away from this sort of silliness, otherwise I wouldn’t call myself a Sartana fan (which I am!).

And before anyone starts saying anything about how there are other elements in the Sartana films that aren’t “period authentic” besides those neon signs—that is true…HOWEVER…those other elements are presented in a non-jarring way and are made to appear feesible within the context of the film.
For example, Alfie in LIGHT THE FUSE… is considered by some to be a robot! But, he is actually a clockwork figure which there were plenty of in those days. Sure they made him look more robotic and modern…but, he isn’t as blatantly modern as neon signs!

Enough of my ranting…

These kidney stones are really making me mean!!
:wink:

These kidney stones are really making me mean!!

Just make sure when you finally pass one of em that you’re not pointing it at anyone! ;D

I think when you say “mean” you don’t mean mean you mean MEAN![quote=“lordradish, post:6, topic:1052”]Just make sure when you finally pass one of em that you’re not pointing it at anyone! ;D[/quote]
LOL

I mean that is precisely what I mean! ha ha ha!!

Heh heh heh!! Yeah, well…I don’t think Tomas Milian would be anywhere near me at that moment; but, you never know…

:smiley:

I have the german DVD, haven’t noticed those neon lights
Does anybody know if they’re in there, and on what moment (hour:min:sec)?

Buddy Ben is a friend of Gentle Ben (see another thread), Hot Dead is a conversion of ‘O the Dad’ - children used to say that in Poker Falls when their dad had kidney stones.
Sartana = ars’ a tan (dad had been too long in the sun, it’s very hot in Vegas)
Gravedigger = rev dig a gerg (gerg is an ancient Dutch word for cider)

scherpschutter = press the crutch
bad lieutenant = auntie bent lad

lordradish - r dish ordeal?

(sorry, best I could come up with)

Thanks for the props guys. I don’t consider myself a good writer, so any feedback so I can improve in the future would be very appreciated!

Chris, yeah great points man! I’ve wrestled with whether to put the george hilton movie in for a long time. I think I would have included it if hilton had made more than one sartana, but he made only one and that particular movie is not as highly regarded as the garko ones. Great points about James Bond! I never thought of it like that! But I think in the case with James Bond, they attempted to to recreate the franchise of the character, replacing connery with Lanzenby, Moore, Dalton etc…It was different with Hilton’s Sartana, he simply replaced Garko with one movie, they didn’t really build another Sartana franchise around him.

I think Sartana is considered a mythical, supernatural figure, but I always thought of him as more of a master illusionist than actually having magical powers.

Thanks for posting my work JD, and sorry it took so long to write it!

I have a soft spot for the Hilton film. He is very different to Garko, but I like his Sartana character and there is a link of sorts. Certainly he pulls off a master illusion at the end of this film.
But all said and done, it is Sabbath that steals the show in this.

Hilton’s Sartana is for me more another Hallelujah. The film would have had a different feel with Garko in it, but same goes of course for the Moore Bonds.

I also consider only the 4 Garko’s as the originals.

Yer welcome, Len. I’ve read it numerous times, I like it that much. Perhaps you can do a follow up with the Hilton one and even Sartana Kills them All.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:9, topic:1052”]I have the german DVD, haven’t noticed those neon lights
Does anybody know if they’re in there, and on what moment (hour:min:sec)?[/quote]

I am guessing Franco Cleef used the German DVD for his English language project. I have never seen the German DVD…and if the neon signs are not in that, then that would probably be why they don’t show up in FC’s version. I just assumed he had taken that bit out.

Up until the Franco Cleef version, all I had seen of this movie was an Italian VHS version and a subtitled version of that on a DVD-R that came from the dreaded Video Search of Miami folks.
In the Italian version the neon signs show up just when Sartana decides to go to the Poker town.

I should have known the Germans were smart enough to get rid of those dopey signs for their DVD edition!!

:slight_smile:

Yeah, and Sartana in the Sandpit of Doom :stuck_out_tongue: (Valley of Death) - at least you can say it’s got a great song you’ll be humming for days.

Say, is there really a Franco Cleef version of Have A Good Funeral My Friend, Sartana Will Pay?
How did I miss this?
I have I Am Sartana Your Angel Of Death & Light The Fuse Sartana Is Coming (both FC) but was unaware that FC did a version of Have A Good…
I have a full screen version of Have A Good Funeral, Sartana Will pay but it is called Have A Nice Funeral (put out by Geneon).
I’ve gotten all my FC’s from Xploited. I’ve never seen Have A Good on their website.
Have I missed out !!??!!
??? :frowning:
Thanks
Col. , I’m still reading this and am enjoying the hell out of it. Well done!! ;D

There is an official release done by X-Rated in Germany with English dub in the original aspect ratio (2.35:1)… That would be the version to get :slight_smile: It’s called “Sartana noch warm und schon Sand drauf” in German.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:18, topic:1052”]Say, is there really a Franco Cleef version of Have A Good Funeral My Friend, Sartana Will Pay?
How did I miss this?
I have I Am Sartana Your Angel Of Death & Light The Fuse Sartana Is Coming (both FC) but was unaware that FC did a version of Have A Good…
I have a full screen version of Have A Good Funeral, Sartana Will pay but it is called Have A Nice Funeral (put out by Geneon).
I’ve gotten all my FC’s from Xploited. I’ve never seen Have A Good on their website.
Have I missed out !!??!!
??? :frowning:
Thanks
Col. , I’m still reading this and am enjoying the hell out of it. Well done!! ;D[/quote]

There is no HAVE A NICE FUNERAL… from Franco Cleef.
The German DVD mentioned above is a nice edition to have–but, the final shots of the film (showing Susan Scott and Gianni Garko riding away from each other) have been cut. In the German version you hear them kissing!!! That is a bit goofy. But, up to that bit the X-rated DVD is perfect!