Beyond the Law / Al di là della legge (Giorgio Stegani, 1968)

Saw this one today

Good casting with some SW royalty. Sabato was indeed a good actor, and Stander was made to be in SW.
It was easy to follow, the film does not suffer of what I call “sleeping” periods it was able to kept my interest until the end, even if I imagine how was going to end, I also liked the romantic subplot between Lee and Graziela Granata.
I agree that there’s an American western feeling in it, but I guess that with a few american actors that ends up to be normal.
The story quite predictable, Gordon Mitchell’s character (looked lkike a mix between zorro and batman) was way to mean for the film (killing the girl in cold blood), and that Banzai suicidal attack in the final by some of the town folks was also strange.
Normally I do not like SW with mixed styles, butin this one it seems to work out fine, althought the final seemed a little bit overdramatic at least for what the film has showed us before (but running up with silver was not really an option).
It was fun to view, and in any case mutch better than the last LVC SW I saw (Il grande Duello)

Good score

Too bad the german dvd only have german/italian audio :frowning:

Anyone seen the Direct Source or Brentwood release? Bad? Really bad? Or maybe watchable? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Horst, post:62, topic:107”]Anyone seen the Direct Source or Brentwood release? Bad? Really bad? Or maybe watchable? :)[/quote]pretty bad as far as I remember, at least I have never re-watched the dvd because of the bad quality/wrong aspect ratio.
I wish WE would make a re-release of their Beyond the Law/Grand Duel double feature.

This one:

has a clean port of the Wild East DVD.
Widescreen, letterboxed, uncut so far as I know, and a reasonably steady picture.

Richard

Does it have the Italian only parts with English subtitles? Just wondering because some other sets have cut similar stuff out (the very small German only scene in Johnny Yuma at least).

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:63, topic:107”]pretty bad as far as I remember, at least I have never re-watched the dvd because of the bad quality/wrong aspect ratio.
I wish WE would make a re-release of their Beyond the Law/Grand Duel double feature.[/quote]

Amen to that. Havent seen BTL yet, but it´s on top of my “to see” list. Also want a re-release of Day Of Anger from WE :slight_smile:

Lee van Cleef is very good in his role. There’s many small impressions and details in his acting that really makes his character work. I liked the scene with the girl where he can’t stop staring her cleavage. Good cast otherwise too. I think the film is just little bit too overlong and I wasn’t really impressed with the action scenes. Good western with the light mood.

In this great SW, we see Lee Van Cleef in the role as Joe Billy Cudlip, a man who is split up in two, with the important decision if he should be the good or the bad guy. An unsual role for LVC, but he puls it through nicely without going in to unknown territory. Not a great SW if you hunger for many gunfights, but if you like character studies (as in Face to Face) and maybe want to see LVC in a little more lighthearted role (he’s still badass, don’t sweat it), then this a terrific and entertaining choice. 4/5

I know only the shorter version (about 90 minutes), which I thought was okay, but nothing special.
I thought Lionel Stander was very good in it.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:69, topic:107”]I know only the shorter version (about 90 minutes), which I thought was okay, but nothing special.
I thought Lionel Stander was very good in it.[/quote]

The film is not special or groundbreaking in any way (like GBU or other), but the film is still a great treat. It’s a breath of fresh air to see LVC in a different role than usual (as much as I love his other works), he’s of course not spectacular acting wise, but he does it good. What I also like about the film is LVC’s little gang of thieves. Using their smart tricks to get the money, and sometimes also failing at it. I Like It ;D

I’ll see if I can find an uncut version. It’s a Lee van Cleef movie, so one day I’ll have to write about it …

There was a French release that was uncut, but as ar as I know it’s OOP, like the WE release

Prefer the longer cut to the film, but even then just average for this viewer.
Bud Spencer as a bad guy was a change, and yes Stander is not bad like you say. Probably my favourite Spaghetti role of Stander.

was he a bad guy? I just remember he didn’t have a beard which was weird.

Not exactly a bad guy, just a character that may be criticized.

Bad Man’s River :stuck_out_tongue: … God’s Gun :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :o …? :wink:
I’m glad you enjoyed it. I think it’s ok but I much prefer Find A Place to Die from that 1968 collection you’re going through.
That’s spaghetti-land for ya :wink:

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:75, topic:107”]Bad Man’s River :stuck_out_tongue: … God’s Gun :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :o …? :wink:
I’m glad you enjoyed it. I think it’s ok but I much prefer Find A Place to Die from that 1968 collection you’re going through.
That’s spaghetti-land for ya ;)[/quote]

Yeah! a good collection of SW’s, but the transfer is pretty shitty (to say the least). I’m still going chronically through the year 1968, tonight i’m gonna see one of these; Between God, the Devil and a Winchester, Death Rides A Horse or White Comanche.

Which boxset is it? I’ve a few and may well have it, but I watched the VCI dvd of FAPTD - also not brilliant quality.
The most important questiion was there any more hint of river-nudity? I’ll have to check… :wink:
(Edit… of course, maybe this should be on the FAPTD* thread - but it’s legit to ask about which box tho’)

(*Edit, edit … or indeed, the ‘Nudity’ thread.)

This is the one [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spaghetti-Westerns-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B0014CKCCY/ref=sr_1_6?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1334671491&sr=1-6[/url]. Not that much actually, I think you get to see a hint of a tit, but not nothing worth drooling about… 8)

Thanks. Haha - but any excuse to get said ‘Nudity’ thread back up and running… It’s feeling neglected. :wink:
Now, back to BTL…

More a character I would not trust I suppose. Yes looks pretty different without his beard.