Best Version DVD thread

[quote=“Sundance, post:20, topic:131”]Guillotine Films and NWL discs should both be in widescreen although I have no idea about the aspect ratio if its cropped some way. Both discs have english soundtracks. No idea about cuts or if they use the same transfer as the VCI disc (could be possible I guess).
The Miracle Pictures disc is listed as only 93mins long and no idea about aspect ratio. And the german disc by UAP is cut I suppose and fullscreen and only german audio?[/quote]

Oh sorry didn’t know, thanks!
The dvd from Brazil, by the label EDT is FS according to dvdaficionado.

The German dvd:

Leg ihn um, Django Cut (Erstsynchro) (ab 16) Video: 1,7:1 (Original: 2,35:1) Audio: d Extras: Trailer, Fotos, Filmografien

Check out the Killers excellent German forum
http://www.budspencer.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2123

Hehe, it seems they have two different discs from Brazil then (unless the same disc has two different covers)… as I meant this one http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-33804449--_JM :slight_smile:

Thanks for the forum link btw. I have actually been there earlier long time ago, but had forgot about it completely. :slight_smile:

So it seems.

The main cut from the VCI Sandoval DVD is a long scene with Annabella Incontrera - I usually still watch video versions in preference to cut DVD versions so it’s a long time since I watched the VCI version and can’t remember what else is missing. The ending is certainly different.

I regret that I sold my vhs version of Sandoval when I bought the VCI dvd. The scene with Annabella Incontrera is very essential to the plot of the film. The short version is quite illogical as there’s really no reason why “One-eye” betrays the group. What are the differences in endings? My video version had the same ending as the VCI version.

The audio is different - no last "aaahhh"s.

[quote=“Sundance, post:20, topic:131”]There are actually atleast 5 DVDs of Any Gun Can Play available:

VCI (USA)
Miracle Pictures (USA)
UAP (Germany)
Guillotine Films (Canada?)
NWL? (Brazil)

Guillotine Films and NWL discs should both be in widescreen although I have no idea about the aspect ratio if its cropped some way. Both discs have english soundtracks. No idea about cuts or if they use the same transfer as the VCI disc (could be possible I guess).
The Miracle Pictures disc is listed as only 93mins long and no idea about aspect ratio. And the german disc by UAP is cut I suppose and fullscreen and only german audio?

Can anyone give any info on the cuts in the VCI discs of Any Gun Can Play and Bullet For Sandoval, please? How much is missing, what kind of scenes, where in the films should the scenes belong to?[/quote]

Here goes, Sundance; post is taken from MHVF and I sadly don’t remember who made this comparison. Just wanted to make clear that I take no credit for this comparison :slight_smile:

As promised, here’s a comparison between VCI’s ANY GUN CAN PLAY and Monterey Home Video’s GO KILL AND COME BACK. To further clarify some of the confusion, I also popped in the New Pacific Pictures VHS release of ANY GUN CAN PLAY. While VCI’s disc restores much of the footage missing from this earlier VHS release, it still comes up short when compared to the Monterey tape.
ANY GUN CAN PLAY (New Pacific Pictures VHS, EP recording) runs a total of 87 minutes and 44 seconds. It is missing the 4 minutes and 10 second pre-credit sequence entirely and seems to be culled from a television broadcast. Immediately following the credit sequence, “In Stereo Where Available” pops up on the screen, and then at around the 82 minute mark a “KABC-TV 7 Los Angeles” station ID appears at the bottom of the screen. The title of the film is video generated in red lettering, but the rest of the sequence features the original English language credits superimposed over shots of a moving train. The titles appear onscreen with a series of wipe effects. I only scanned through this tape, but it seems that some of Kareen O’Hara (Stefania Carredu)'s part is missing.
VCI’s ANY GUN CAN PLAY DVD runs a total of 97 minutes and 17 seconds, and restores most of O’Hara’s footage as it appears in GO KILL AND COME BACK. The DVD begins with the entire pre-credit sequence intact, but features a different credit sequence. The shots of the moving train are identical, but VCI’s print only features the title and credits for the four main players (Edd Byrnes, Gilbert Roland, George Hilton and Kareen O’Hara). There are no wipe effects at all and the font is different. The complete opening credits as they appear on the New Pacific tape and the Monterey tape have been transposed to the ending (in place of the proper end credits), where they are optically superimposed over the shot of the gold coin. The first obvious difference between the DVD and the earlier tapes is that the picture on the DVD has a bluish tint to it. The VHS prints are a dry and dusty, sunbleached color, while the DVD almost looks like it’s trying for a day-for-night effect in some scenes. Also, the disc has much hotter fleshtones, with some faces appearing bright pink. Overall, the colors are richer and more pleasing on VCI’s disc, but many scenes look quite different than they did on the earlier tapes. The second obvious visual difference is that the picture on the DVD is slightly squeezed horizontally. The distortion is very noticeable when doing an A/B comparison, but probably won’t bother anyone viewing the disc alone. The disc is not 16x9 enhanced, so it’s not a player issue that’s to blame for the distortion. Also worth pointing out is that the sound on the Monterey tape is much fuller and stronger than the VCI disc. Surprisingly, there is also much less hiss on the VHS soundtrack.
On to the missing scenes: I compared Monterey Home Video’s GO KILL AND COME BACK (99 minutes, 23 seconds total running time) directly with the VCI disc and there are a number of minor differences that are worth noting. Firstly, GO KILL AND COME BACK features the same wipe-effect opening credit sequence as the New Pacific VHS, albeit with a different video generated title. The remaining differences between the VCI disc and the Monterey tape are as follows (timecodes are taken from the DVD):
9:05 - Monetero (Gilbert Roland) approaches Kareen O’Hara and says, “$300,000 in gold, Guapa…for me.” Followed by a shot taken from behind the train’s steam engine. This 10 second scene is missing from the VCI disc.
34:33 - The Sergeant (Marco Mariani) says, “I’d feel I failed society if I spared that man. I’d call that a poor luck medal.” The Monterey tape omits the first line of that dialogue. This cut adds back 10 seconds in favor of the VCI disc.
49:49 - After Samson jumps out from behind the curtain and says, “Bang, bang,” there is a 10 second snippet missing from the VCI disc. The Stranger (George Hilton) jokingly says, “Now suppose you belong to Monetero’s gang.” Samson holds up his arms and says, “No, senior…Senior–” before his wife (?) interrupts.
53:30 - As Clayton (Edd Byrnes) leaves the Del Sol, Samson’s farwell “Bang, bang” is missing from the VCI disc. There is a dissolve to the next scene instead of a clean cut, eliminating about 5 seconds of the following shot (The Stranger in his longjohns by the creek).
1:01:08 to 1:01:13 - VCI’s disc features an extra shot during Clayton’s fight with Monetero’s men.
1:19:30 - After the bath house brawl Monetero tells Clayton that he’s going to kill him. Clayton’s fearful reaction shot is missing from the VCI disc. Other shots throughout their subsequent discussion are shortened. About 15 seconds total is missing.
1:20:02 - A 1 minute and 35 second scene is missing from the VCI disc. It begins with a long pan across the mountain landscape, ending on a close-up of Monetero and Clayton on horseback. Monetero holds a small bunch of flowers and sniffs and licks them.
Monetero: "$300,000…that would take care of everything."
Clayton: "You’re wrong. $150,000 and you have to share with your peones."
Monetero: "No I won’t. They won’t get one peso."
Clayton: "That’s strange. I heard they get paid for a robbery."
Monetero: "Maybe not. I’ve done enough for them. They’ve been living off me for years. Now I’m through. After this I go away. I take the gold, go to Mexico City and have one hell of a time. And when I die, somebody will bury me…And if they don’t, what’s the difference? Who gives a damn, huh?"
Clayton: "Well, in a way I admire you. We’ll do all right, me and you, I bet."
The VCI disc picks up this scene at the very end, as they are riding down the hillside, but it eliminates the following 10 second shot of the pair riding past a creek before arriving at the mission. It patches this hole by relocating a shot of the mission tower that the Monterey tape places after Monetera gestures toward it and Clayton says, “Well, why not?” Another 10 seconds of the two riding around the outer wall of the mission is also missing.
1:20:43 - An additional 10 seconds are trimmed from their ride into the mission. Their walk into the chapel is tightened up by about 5 seconds as well.
All in all, the discrepancies are pretty incidental. There’s only one full scene missing from the VCI disc, and it’s not exactly vital. There are other 1 or 2 second differences here and there, all in Monterey’s favor, but VCI adds a bit more to its running time simply because the end credits (which are actually the opening credits) last longer than the VHS end credits. At any rate, the letterboxing on the VCI disc is essential to getting the most out of the movie, even if the picture is slightly squeezed. Finally, for the sake of completeness, I’ll note that the Monterey tape also features trailers for the Ursula Andress comedy LOADED GUNS, the excellent Roland/Hilton Spaghetti Western THE RUTHLESS FOUR, and the US Western KENTUCKY RIFLE.
The big question now is where did the 105 minute running time come from?

Thanks Mannaja! I think I’ll just put that info to my site and mention of course that it’s not by me, and if the credit owner, or someone who knows who it was, sees it they can ask me to give credit (which I’ll gladly give). ;D

Which version of Johnny Got His Gun is the best?

The italian Tepepa dvd comes with english language, but apparently there’s no english track for all scenes, but instead of having italian soundtrack with english subs for these scenes the sound drops out completely :-\

The ebay seller Jerksi however offers a slightly cut version where there’s sound in all scenes, I was wondering if anybody has seen this version and if it’s worth getting?

I have only an old greek tape of this film and was thinking of getting a new version.

I found a review for it http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/I-L/johnny_got_his_gun.html

but I dont know.I just know as soon as I buy it they will release a new special edition dvd with commentary :stuck_out_tongue:

i don’t know but i do have a Japanese laserdisc of it.

I’d stick with the Italian one if you already have it, granted here and there the sound goes away in the English audio version but i’d prefer to have the scenes there than just take them out. (the scenes aren’t long anyway)

Thanks a lot!
Like I said I only have the greek tape, so I’ll probably get the italian dvd instead of Jerksi’s version.

I looked on ebay and it seems all the dvds they have are R2’s or R4’s and I dont have a multi dvd player

huge mistake :wink:

I know I need one but I just dont feel like buying one at the moment.

This site might be useful when comparing different releases. There’s links to reviews and dvd comparisons.

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3

Click on the “spaghetti westerns” on the special search.

Thanks

I wondered if anyone new wether this version of A pistol for Ringo is worth hunting down, or one should look for other versions.
http://www.lfvw.com/pistol_ringo.html