Bastard, Go and Kill / Chaco / Bastardo … vamos a matar (Luigi Mangini, 1971)

Database page: Bastardo, vamos a matar - The Spaghetti Western Database

Any info? It’s got Lincoln Tate who is prety god as a Spagheti Western hero. And George Eastman.

Great film IMO! Anyone else seen it?

Topics merged. Please search thoroughly before creating new topics.
And post database link:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Bastardo%2C_vamos_a_matar

On topic: I find this a non impressive film, with very little going for it.

Lincoln Tate is a pretty god. Which raises the question are there ugly gods too?

I don’t really like this film… surprise, it’s more lighthearted to me, in the same sense as Companeros. It’s good for one watch just to say you saw it, but nothing more. I honestly don’t remember a anything else about it!

Viewed a print with ghosting problems so found it difficult to concentrate on the film.

Who ya gonna call?

I didn’t like this one either

I think I’m going to have to go with Silence on this one. I thought it was a highly fun, original, and somewhat atmospheric, light hearted, mystery spaghetti with a Run Man Run basis. It is definitely something completely different than most Spaghettis. It takes place largely in one location. A Mexican city which is a very good and believable set. Believable because it’s not just used for exteriors, but we get a 3 dimensional world. We go into it’s jails, dance halls,general stores, and such.

And while it’s different (mostly in it’s lack of gunplay and emphasis on entertaining and cool characters), it still has a strong Spaghetti feeling. The characters all come from the best of Spaghetti stereotypes. Bearded Lincoln Tate (he looks so much more Spaghetti with a beard) is a classic example of a Spaghetti anti hero type, With he somewhat good looks, sttely cold eyes, and grizzly beard. George Eastman seems to be using the acting style he often used playing villains earlier in his Spaghetti career. Rather confident or full of himself and deceitful. A classic example of a good Mexican, Spaghetti style.

Database comment for this enjoyable little oater:

This enjoyable SW is another one which tells a story of two different men who play a cat and mouse game with each other only to become allies in the end against the real baddies. George Eastman and Lincoln Tate are here the contrasting pair in fine playing mood. It was Luigi Mangini’s only SW with some input by Sergio Garrone via story and screenplay.

It’s a very poor man’s THE BIG GUNDOWN. That’s all I have to say about it.

Far from the top drawer for sure but I found plenty to enjoy in this one. Surprisingly well directed for what is obviously a pretty low budget affair and everyone does their best with what they have. I always have a little trouble taking George Eastman for a Mexican peon type. He is just so damned big. But, that said, he plays it well enough and he has a likeable enough screen presence to just about get away with it. It is Run Man Run lite for sure but that’s not such a bad thing really.

Nothing wrong with the directing and acting, but thin on plot and storyline. In my opinion an SW doesn’t need much of a plot and story to be enjoyable if it has a strong beginning and ending, and the feel and the music carries it along in the meantime. This one lacks all these things I didn’t watch the whole film mind, think it must have been the South African release, Bastard Go and Kill Chaco, runs for 82 minutes. Watchable, not bad in any way, some things in common with Run Man Run, regretfully no cat fights.

We have a new review of CHACO up, written by @Djangoisme

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Chaco_review

More reviewers, a good thing. A spoiler alert is in order though, the whole plot is there.

Conchita is not Josefina Serratosa! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I watched Chako yesterday (since it came along with the more interesting Johnny Hamlet on a DVD from Wild East), and I agree with those commentaries earlier that were negative.
With rather similar themes Run Man Ran is better, and especially the Big Gundown is far more entertaining mainly due to Lee Van Cleef IMO.
But maybe a second view at Chako later on could broaden the impression ?

Couldn’t take to this one either, found it boring as hell.

Strange pairing, just like in the case of California and Ramon the Mexican.

The second time I watched Chako I had very low expectations. It has a rather lighthearted mood but without much obvious comedy. If not directly boring Chako has a somewhat thin loose story. Chako is not very bad, but nothing is really good about it so a 5 out of 10 rating seems appropriate here. I will probably not watch it again within reasonable time.