As seen on "Furious Cinema"

oh man, thanks for catching that. Fixed. It was already wrong in the original review…

1 Like

And @scherpschutter took a look at the excellent OLD HENRY

3 Likes

An excellent review of an excellent film.

The thing I love most about movies such as this one, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and, to an extent, Unforgiven is that they provide such an accurate representation and feel for the time in which they were set while still providing an entertaining story.

2 Likes

I have to disagree, strongly … with the exception of Tim Blake Nelson, the cast all look and sound like the same bozos we see in zillions of low budget vanity project westerns - The son of Old Henry comes across as a typical 21century sulking teenager … he looks wrong and more importantly sounds wrong for the time period … therefore I couldn’t get past these obvious flaws.

It’s also one of these productions filmed, or rather masked to look like scope 2.35:1, more cinematic, but has really nothing to fill the widescreen frame.

I can only come to the conclusion that some group (interested party) have been ‘stuffing the ballot box’ over at IMDB … this is no way a 7.2/10 movie … more like a 5.2/10

well just because you disagree doesn’t make everyone else’s opinions a ballot stuffing activity :wink: it probably has more to do with the sub par stuff that comes out all the time, and amid all these modern efforts at westerns, this one stands out as being rather accomplished by comparison

Without even looking at IMDB, I’ll bet there are loads of people giving this 10/10 … am I wrong?

I don’t even give any of the Leone films a perfect 10, and they are my favorites :wink:

It’s absolutely naive to think that production companies and friends of the makers don’t jump in with ridiculously high marks … it happens all the time, plus this film didn’t even get a wide distribution to elevate it to such a high ranking level.

It’s a very amateurish production with one good actor.

And just because I disagree with the popular or current opinion doesn’t make me inaccurate in my assessment of the film.

Of course, they have thousands of folks rating the movie well in all the platforms just to annoy you ;))

Whatever happened to ‘We’re all entitled to our opinions here’ … I’m expressing my views and you seem irritated by that.

If you and others like this movie, that’s fine with me - I’m simply saying why I didn’t , and offering a possible reason for it’s suspicious vast appeal … if you take IMDB statistics as gospel, which I hope none of you do, ‘Old Henry’ is a better film than ‘Death Rides a Horse’ ‘Day of Anger’, ‘Face to Face’ and ‘Run Man, Run’ … I don’t think so :thinking:

For me Old Henry is a 6/10. :slightly_smiling_face:

I continue my Radiance Films exploration with HOW TO KILL A JUDGE

And lastly, THE CASE IS CLOSED, FORGET IT

I had some fun with the Santo movies

1 Like

Nicely done, Seb. I get a big kick out of the old Lucha films and have several Santo films in my collection but not this set though I’ve been thinking about adding it. If you decide to continue down this road, there are some very low-budget, entertaining, Saturday afternoon serial style, adventures awaiting you. :wink:

1 Like

there is a great documentary on the 2nd disc called Perdida

1 Like

scratch that, it’s an eye opening must see documentary. wow I am so glad I took the time to watch this. what an insight, what a story

1 Like

Now, we are running the risk of “over-hype”. You’ve built it up so much in my mind that it really has to be something special to live up to the preconceived notions you’ve planted in my brain. :laughing:

1 Like

Read @Mickey13’s thoughts on METEOR

1 Like

And just to prove that this is indeed going to be Michal getting into serial mode, here’s another: WAR BETWEEN THE PLANETS:

For Michal’s Short Bits Vol. 3, Norman Jewison’s ROLLERBALL is on the docket

haha @Mickey13 that is a very controversial and harsh judgment of this milestone movie

Gene Siskel, Vincent Canby and Jonathan Rosenbaum all panned the film on its release and the movie holds a 67% approval rating on rotten tomatoes, I do not think it is so controversial an opinion. I am actually surprised at how much agreement there is between my assessment and theirs.

1 Like