Apocalypse Joe / Un uomo chiamato Apocalisse Joe (Leopoldo Savona, 1970)

What’s your opinion on this film?

Haven’t seen it myself, but it’s released by X Rated as Spiel dein spiel und töte Joe.

For more info visit:
Database Page: Uomo chiamato Apocalisse Joe, Un - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give Apocalypse Joe your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

It’s pretty good if you enjoy lot’s of action and not much plot. Joe (Steffan) inherits a gold mine from his uncle, only to discover that Eduardo Fajardo murdered his uncle and took over the mine for himself. Joe, an amateur actor as well as gunslinger, takes on Fajardo and his gang and uses a variety of disguises to help his cause. The last 30 minutes of the film is basicaly one long gun fight. Steffan does his usual thing. Fajardo is a suitably nasty villain. Great Bruno Nicolai score. The quality of the X rated DVD is excellent. I really enjoyed this film.

Thanks for your comments Cian.

Me too. It’s had the piss taken out of it for Steffen hamming it up as a Shakespearean actor (Phil ;)) - but I’ve just rewatched it and found it all highly enjoyable 
 no silly health and safety rules then, so lots of dynamite and barrels of gunpowder left recklessly lieing around willy-nilly! It’s also got a woman’s ‘cold dead starin’ eyes’, some good (and some tongue-in-cheek) set pieces in the shoot-outs, a drunken ol’ scrote, good rousing music, a “that’s for Rita!” and at one point Steffen in a dress :P! It doesn’t take itself too seriously but it aint no comedy either. The Shakespeare stuff was great and gave a good excuse for comedic set pieces 
 in fact I wish there’d been more made of this with Steffen quoting MacBeth during the ritualised shootings. A bit of “Out damn spot - out I say” or “Fortune on his damned quarrel smiling - showed like a rebel’s whore!” and particularly for when Steffen delivers the dynamite in a pram 
 surely a “Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it”. Not that any of this would make a lot of sense, but hey - this is spaghetti-land, so maybe a remake for this one Phil?
A highly entertaining (heading towards)4 outa 5 from this hombre, and as Shakespear himself might add, “fair is foul and foul is fair”! ;D

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:4, topic:285”]Me too. It’s had the piss taken out of it for Steffen hamming it up as a Shakespearean actor (Phil ;)) - but I’ve just rewatched it and found it all highly enjoyable 
 no silly health and safety rules then, so lots of dynamite and barrels of gunpowder left recklessly lieing around willy-nilly! It’s also got a woman’s ‘cold dead starin’ eyes’, some good (and some tongue-in-cheek) set pieces in the shoot-outs, a drunken ol’ scrote, good rousing music, a “that’s for Rita!” and at one point Steffen in a dress :P! It doesn’t take itself too seriously but it aint no comedy either. The Shakespeare stuff was great and gave a good excuse for comedic set pieces 
 in fact I wish there’d been more made of this with Steffen quoting MacBeth during the ritualised shootings. A bit of “Out damn spot - out I say” or “Fortune on his damned quarrel smiling - showed like a rebel’s whore!” and particularly for when Steffen delivers the dynamite in a pram 
 surely a “Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under it”. Not that any of this would make a lot of sense, but hey - this is spaghetti-land, so maybe a remake for this one Phil?
A highly entertaining (heading towards)4 outa 5 from this hombre, and as Shakespear himself might add, “fair is foul and foul is fair”! ;D[/quote]

That makes me want to watch it again, it was fun the first time I saw it but I didn’t really know Steffen then.

As you all know, I’m a big fan of Steffen. I like this film alot. But like Shobary said, the music is almost too good for the film. I think they should’ve done a rotoscope animation credits intro sequence with that brilliant soundtrack by bruno nicolai instead of seeing steffen “to be or not to be” at the beginning. I don’t think they fully utilized the soundtrack enough.

I think this one would be a good addition to my small collection.A good sounding action western for days when all I want is action. Good place to get it?

And now it is part of my increasing spaghetti western collection. I agree with Reverend 100% and Steffen is on top form as an actor/ gunfighter who uses disguises to fool his enemies. I always loved the disguise aspect in Spaghetti Westerns. Particularly in Drummer of Vengeance. It makesfor some great set pieces. Great action

A review of this wonderful film will be arriving shortly.

100% from me too ;

Especially his gunfighting is superb here! Steffen’s all time classic “shooting while lying” can be seen here in absolute perfection.

I have a mate called Joe Clifford who was delighted to discover this film - one of its alternative titles is A Man Called Joe Clifford! I’ll have to watch it again soon after reading all the above comments.

Me too!

I honestly think it’s among the worst

To me it’s not even fun on a campy level, like for instance God’s Gun or Sam Wallach are, it’s just plain bad and ridiculous
There’s no story, no acting (and that for a movie in which the protagonist uses his acting skills to outsmart his enemies!), only action, going on for ever, sloppily conceived and executed, with Steffen jumping and flying around as if he were Giuliano Gemma’s younger brother

Your turn, Reverend!

Could be my words.

But not worse, only as average as a film can be.

Except for the first scene, which is a goodie.

2/10

I cannot remember anything about this one at all
have to view again.

I like the film. Especially the end is great. The whole ending is a hail of bullets. ;D

Hail to the hail of bullets :wink:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:12, topic:285”]To me it’s not even fun on a campy level, like for instance God’s Gun or Sam Wallach are, it’s just plain bad and ridiculous
There’s no story, no acting (and that for a movie in which the protagonist uses his acting skills to outsmart his enemies!), only action, going on for ever, sloppily conceived and executed, with Steffen jumping and flying around as if he were Giuliano Gemma’s younger brother[/quote]

As accurate an assessment as I can imagine.

Understandable. A common reaction to trauma is repression.

I see! That’s why they put Steffen in the Arizona Colt-Sequel! Thanks a lot Scherp! Finally it all makes sense!!!

I have to admit that these half an hour, which is really only a non stop shootout, was one of the most painful SW experiences for me. Alas
I rewatched it partly last week and fell immediately asleep when the shooting began.

So maybe another one for the pharmacy.

But on the other hand on a metaphysical level Apo Joe gave me lots to think about.
I began to ask me if the apocalypse could really be any good for me, and if it would not be wiser to try to avoid it. This still puzzles me, but I feel the answer is near.

Right, that’s another Gemma-like performance by Steffen, complete with somersaults, flick-flacks and double Rittbergers (or whatever). Serious now: I didn’t understand how they could ever cast Steffen in a sequel of a Gemma movie: you won’t find two actors within the genre whose acting styles are further apart.
I’m all but a Steffen fan, but I do admit that he could be quite effective, but not in this type of movies.