Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro-Westerns (Kevin Grant)

My first (and only) book on spags, this is most definitely essential ownership! I haven’t read all of it, mainly just perused sections and read what I thought was interesting, but damn! Worth every penny! And to all you holdouts, for $25-30 (plus shipping :wink: ) this is most definitely something I’d spend that kind of money on!

I just ordered it. Really looking forward to giving it a day in court.

[url]Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro-westerns (book preview) Hardcover Edition - YouTube

I read the book last summer and I got to say that everyone who likes spaghetti westerns should… no that’s not the word… MUST have this book. I think many can agree when I say that this is the holy bible of spaghetti western movies. I loved it from the first pages 'till the last, and the book’s pictures also gave it good feeling. All in all I give my respect to Kevin Grant, this was a monumental achievement and this lovely genre definitely deserves this comprehensive book.

I got it in the mail the other day. Really looking forward to reading it. I need to move it up my TBR mountain…

Thank you VERY much for that link to the video!! I will definitely buy this now.
There should be much more videos of books!

This book has been at the forefront of my once dormant and now freshly renewed zeal for these films. One thing that attracted me immediately was the focus on things other than Leone trilogy/Eastwood. TGBU is my all-time favorite film in any genre but at this point I know it like the proverbial palm of my hand. Ditto FFDM. The quality of the color prints is outstanding.

My minor complaints would be the print being too small and my hardcover version lacks that heavy duty binding which is a main reason I buy hardcovers in the first place. Disappointing for the $ I think.

Overall, I give it 6 on a 5 star scale.

I got the paperback a several months ago. its a good coffee table type of book to flick through even if to just look at the pictures.

Former forum regular Kevin Grant has a new book close to release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Renegade-Westerns-Movies-Frontier-Myths/dp/1903254930/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=spaghetti-21&linkId=aff193ee74cbf650f9662d0c9cd2d0bb

This one is on revisionist American westerns and if it’s half as good as his book on Spaghetti Westerns it will be a cracker.

1 Like

Thanks for keeping us posted. I liked his earlier book a lot.

Renegade_Westerns

A beautiful book, well-written, lovingly designed. With a special mention of three distinguished members of this forum, @Tom_B, @scherpschutter, and @Phil_H. :cowboy_hat_face: And interviews with L. Q. Jones and Bo Hopkins.

2 Likes

coming in a little late for this genre (spaghetti westerns) - now with a Blu-ray collection of some 30+ films… then finding this site… and then this book… only to realise that it’s been long OOP…

well - Amazon US have a new edition - OUT April 2022

I’ll be buying that !!

1 Like